Bandmembers and tour manager leave The Cure, Robert Smith starts online quarrel with popular fansite

• Thread starter The Seeker of Good Songs
  • Start date
T

The Seeker of Good Songs

Poor Robert.

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=6967_0_2_0_C

Trouble in the The Cure household, after keyboard player Roger O'Donnell and guitarist Perry Bamonte, also tour manager Daryl Bamonte has left The Cure. Remaining are the three bandmembers Robert Smith, bassplayer Simon Gallup and drummer Jason Cooper. A source close to the band has revealed to us that the atmosphere within the band had reached below 0 for a while now. It makes many believe that it is no coincidence that in the past Steve Severin was quoted saying: "Robert has a tendency to edit people out of his life when he has tired of 'draining' them. I have the impression that he lives in a rock star hermetic cocoon surrounded by sycophants." For O'Donnell it's the second time he leaves as he left the Cure 15 years ago as well. While the popular press is ready spreading the split news, Robert Smith has taken some time to diss the popular and well informed The Cure fansite 'Chain of Flowers'. It was this fansite that broke the news of the departure of O'Donnell and Bamonte on May 20th already and clearly Smith is less than amused that the split got known this way. In several personal postings Smith is attacking the website and its webmaster in a far from professional way to say the least. Check out Chain of Flowers at the link below. Some more musical news on the band will follow in the next week with tournews, such as the band playing at the Lokerse Feesten in Belgium, etc. Comments on the split can be read at www.rogerodonnell.com and www.perrybamonte.de
Chain of Flowers http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ChainofFlowers/

Re: Bandmembers and tour manager leave The Cure, Robert Smith starts online quarrel with popular fan

Sorry, can't see a forum anywhere on that link

Robert Smith a self-absorbed, recluse???

"Robert has a tendency to edit people out of his life when he has tired of 'draining' them. I have the impression that he lives in a rock star hermetic cocoon surrounded by sycophants."

How unusual, lol.

I got The Cure

This song is my fave Cure song ~ This file is fantastic!

yesterday i got so old
i felt like i could die
yesterday i got so old
it made me want to cry
go on go on
just walk away
go on go on
your choice is made
go on go on
and disappear
go on go on
away from here

and i know i was wrong
when i said it was true
that it couldn't be me and be her
inbetween without you
without you

yesterday i got so scared
i shivered like a child
yesterday away from you
it froze me deep inside
come back come back
don't walk away
come back come back
come back today
come back come back
why can't you see?
come back come back
come back to me

and i know i was wrong
when i said it was true
that it couldn't be me and be her
inbetween without you
without you

In Between Days ~ live

Robert Smith to split?

Is his weight issue really so bad?

Re: Robert Smith to split?

> Is his weight issue really so bad?

HAHAHA I nearly SPLIT my sides laughing at that! (boom boom)

Re: Bandmembers and tour manager leave The Cure, Robert Smith starts online quarrel with popular fan

> In several personal postings Smith is attacking the website and
> its webmaster in a far from professional way to say the least.

I can't seem to find these Robert Smith postings. Can someone link me? I need a good chuckle.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ChainofFlowers/news.htm

There are some new comments from Robert in the comments section of the news at the official site. Scroll down to 5/29/2005 10:07:24 AM.

http://www.thecure.com/community/news_comment.asp?AssetID=1233601&ArtistID=491&Start=881&Year=

CHANGE
5/29/2005 10:07:24 AM - by CURE:ROBERT

Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

THERE ARE NOW THREE PEOPLE IN THE BAND: ME, SIMON AND JASON - AND THERE ARE VERY GOOD REASONS FOR THIS CHANGE... REASONS WE ALL KNOW, UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT

THE RS/SG/JC/PB/RO'D CURE LINE-UP WAS TOGETHER FOR TEN GORGEOUS YEARS - WILD MOOD SWINGS, FIVE SWING LIVE, (GALORE), BLOODFLOWERS, (GREATEST HITS), TRILOGY, THE CURE - A SHARED LEGACY TO BE VERY PROUD OF INDEED

BUT NONE OF US CAN BELIEVE IT IS BETTER TO TREAD WATER MARK TIME BITE LIP RATHER THAN EMBRACE CHANGE WHEN CHANGE ARRIVES

SO ONWARD...
LOVE
RS

from further down the page on:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ChainofFlowers/news.htm

"Elaborating to Billboard.com today, O'Donnell reveals that he was informed by Smith that he is transforming the Cure into a three-piece, backed only by bassist Simon Gallup and drummer Jason Cooper. "There's not really much you can say when you are the fifth member," he says, adding that he found out about the Cure's upcoming live dates via a fan Web site."

The "forum/chat" section of the "official" "The Cure" site is a pain in the rear. Morrissey-solo, for all its warts is far superior to many, many oficial and unofficial sites of other artists.

Thanks for the help. It's still kinda confusing. Looks like there's a fake Robert Smith on there too.

> The "forum/chat" section of the "official" "The
> Cure" site is a pain in the rear. Morrissey-solo, for all its warts
> is far superior to many, many oficial and unofficial sites of other
> artists.

Yeah a pain in the rear to say the least. Thank God this site isn't like that.

Back
Top Bottom