"Back On The Chain Gang" single - UK release date announcement imminent

New Morrissey single release is imminent.

Confirmed via Morrissey Central. Song entitled: Back on the Chain Gang

Link:

Forthcoming UK single - Morrissey Central
August 25, 2018

44031_20180825_155650.jpg

Release date announcement imminent.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh nooooo Pep, not Lenny. :( Nothing is better than Lennie Cohen (not even baklava, but please don’t tell Rifke I said that) - especially not Rufus Wainwright (yes, I know he is talented, but I just can’t stand his voice, music or personality).

You’re right, though. There are some excellent covers out there - the Johnny Cash ones obviously, and I would add Nothing Compares To You (the Sinead version) of course, etc.

Personally, I only get something out of a cover version if it’s radically different from the original (needs to be said here that this doesn’t include Nouvelle Vague - all things Nouvelle Vague need to go away and stay there!) like this one:

or this gem:

Now that's a song I think Morrissey should take on!

Wow, that's a couple of covers you've got there :eek: Yep, totally agree about Nothing Compares to U, and I would like to add to the 'better than the original' list David Gray - Say Hello, Wave Goodbye.

Ah, Leonard. I sort of get why people are into him - I do think he was really cool, and a genius songwriter, but he just never quite did it for me. Plus I'm a HUGE fan of all the Wainwrights, so I am a bit biased, I suppose. Coincidentally, there's a fantastic album of LC songs with both Martha and Rufus on - loads of gems:
https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/lianCD.html
but the stand-out track for me is Teddy Thompson's Tonight Will Be Fine

That's some terrible placement of the text. I used to make better covers for mix tapes.

Agreed . What terrible text and layout . Awful . Not particularly looking forward to this either as a single

I caught up with their new songs. Thanks for the heads up.
They remarkably fit right alongside their 90s output. It's freakish.
Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on the listener.

Elvis of LA -- nice. Ganglord really was Morrissey's In the Ghetto lol

Edit: And Suede does look pretty amazing in 2018

Suede's new album gonna reeleased sept21....2 gems are already out, no singles, just video, the last one in Chernobyl filmed [no humans]...I'd say Morrissey you're the Elvis of LA, say there and sing covers, sorry, I'm a bit anoyed by a greeat song writerr, who uses a cover, Brett Anderson's lyrics are what once Morrissey was, sorry Morrissey, never promised you a rosegarden, hope for the better, in the future {...}

Last edited:
No, I really can't think of one I like. I often like his choice of songs, but a great cover should make you go, 'Oh, great cover', but his are mostly just a bit 'Meh'. They're just a bit workmanlike, and not adding anything other than it's Morrissey singing it.
I enjoyed this cover of one of the better Morrissey songs that Morrissey didn't actually write.

I enjoyed this cover of one of the better Morrissey songs that Morrissey didn't actually write.

On the escalator we shit paracetamol
Is a great line . I was mad for suede and saw them many times live , sat in the tour bus with them once also. Great band with a limited lyric pallette but still keeping up the quality tunes.

On the escalator we shit paracetamol
Is a great line . I was mad for suede and saw them many times live , sat in the tour bus with them once also. Great band with a limited lyric pallette but still keeping up the quality tunes.
They're a great band, but I think that Brett's histrionic vocals and 10 tons of camp limit their widespread appeal.

Oh morrissey and Bernard could have been great together but I can’t think of a more combustible partnership especially with Bernard as he was at that time. They would have killed one another innno time flat

Oh my Gud , i wonder if Blue Dreamers Eyes will haver be release in any format.I don't want an album with only cover songs,please please it will not sell millions, trust me.:sick:

Oh my Gud , i wonder if Blue Dreamers Eyes will haver be release in any format.I don't want an album with only cover songs,please please it will not sell millions, trust me.:sick:
it depends on the songs,you cant have ten covers and a couple of new songs,it wouldn't look right,you either go all in or don't bother.

How about a deluxe package, one disc with 10-12 covers, and a bonus EP with the remaining new songs?

Suede's new album gonna reeleased sept21....2 gems are already out, no singles, just video, the last one in Chernobyl filmed [no humans]...I'd say Morrissey you're the Elvis of LA, say there and sing covers, sorry, I'm a bit anoyed by a greeat song writerr, who uses a cover, Brett Anderson's lyrics are what once Morrissey was, sorry Morrissey, never promised you a rosegarden, hope for the better, in the future {...}

Have you ever heard Suede do a cover live or have they ever recorded one as a b-side? I am not aware of it.
Morrissey has done covers both live and in the studio on a regular basis, which can explain his current choice. And who wants a new Morrissey album so soon after LIHS? Not me TBH.

But I agree with you that Brett & band are currently in top form so they don't need a covers album at this point in their career. Promising.

I'm interested to know what Moz's version will sound like but, as others have said, the placement of the text is horrendous! Morrissey needs to employ real graphic designers (i.e. not Sam).

There you go:

Thanks for posting. Bowie came as no surprise, but quite a broad range of covers & styles overall. The Elvis Costello song suits them really well.

And thanks also to g23 for posting Morrissey's cover version of "My insatiable one", which I saw him do live back in 1992.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom