"Back On The Chain Gang" official video via Rolling Stone interview

Morrissey Covers the Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang,’ Talks ‘Pop Classic’ - Rolling Stone
“It’s a pop classic,” singer says. “Of the brain as well as the loins”
By Kory Grow

Excerpt:

"When Morrissey decided to cover the Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” for an upcoming double-vinyl reissue of his Low in High School album, he wanted to play it loose with the lyrics. “I didn’t ever see the lyrics correctly printed because I wanted to sing them as I had always thought they were,” he tells Rolling Stone via e-mail. “This is tricky with [Pretenders singer] Chrissie [Hynde] because sometimes she’ll sing into a misty wobble. So, I decided to wobble also.”

Other than a few switched-up words, though, it’s mostly a reverent cover. He croons Hynde’s lyrics, wobbling his voice, along with a jangly guitar line that sounds like a mix of his solo music and the Pretenders. He recorded it this past April at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. The song will also be available as a 45 with cover art, out November 23rd, which features Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “I Didn’t Know What to Do” on the flip side. Morrissey proudly points out the single sleeve features writer and feminist Germaine Greer, with the expanded LP out December 7th."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...etenders-back-on-the-chain-gang-cover-748605/

Studio & video versions are different to the live arrangements.
Moz on guitar!
Rolling Stone got the scoop, then linked to by 'Official' with the pre-order advert for the deluxe:

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkc1ce

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited:
It's fine and dandy but the original is perfection. You can't outdo Chrissie on her own songs but it's a very respectful cover and nod to his dear friend so I hope it's a hit!

For the umpteenth time, artists from Morrissey’s era don’t chart, it’s for young people who stream etc. When was the last chart hit from U2, R.E.M. or The Cure? Exactly.
Doesn’t mean they weren’t radio hits.
Different target groups etc.

Truly refreshing to read Thewlis' spot on takes. Good head on shoulders kiddo. Sincerely yours!

Like it! Sweet vocal and Moz looks relaxed in the vid.
Jesse's guitar is pretty faithful, no?
Dancing girls is obviously a Sam request. Yet another "retro TV performance" concept (Moz obviously watched thousands as a wee lad).

Yup..maybe a Rita Pavone vid or two..1960s....T-Rex "C.D." 70s....ALL the good stuff here with B.O.T.C.G. ..80s....and ofcourse...Morrissey...50s...me too Moz.

LOL It was a joke. Can you imagine wearing boots in our December?

Ha... I didn't know that you were tricky. :p
I was thinking that maybe you were some sort of goth... they wear winter clothes even in January (which is probably a way of expressing respect to the God of the goths, I don't know!).
I will be wearing a blackened shroud, a hand-me-down gown of rags and silks... :sweatsmile:

I must say that the new official video is very very reminiscent of love affair everlasting love video the props the dancers even to the lead vocalist playing a guitar what does anybody else think if they seen this video by love affair

I just watched the Love Affair video and they look so similar! Chain Gang's almost a shot for shot re-make lol. Even the set and the lighting look the same

2b2fb6b65904518aa65d2bf65d4300b3.jpg

based on what,enlighten us with your vast knowledge of guitar playing.
always wondered what happened to bob the builder.

Based on listening to the song, you boob. You ever hear the original, you clown? The phrasing lacks the finesse of the original. It even sounds as if one of the notes are wrong. Could be just poorly played though.

I hope that helps

Based on listening to the song, you boob. You ever hear the original, you clown? The phrasing lacks the finesse of the original. It even sounds as if one of the notes are wrong. Could be just poorly played though.

I hope that helps
you BOOB, I prefer you TIT.ah yesss the phraaasiing lacks the finesse of the original,geez peace.away and build a garage.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom