"Back On The Chain Gang" official video via Rolling Stone interview

Morrissey Covers the Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang,’ Talks ‘Pop Classic’ - Rolling Stone
“It’s a pop classic,” singer says. “Of the brain as well as the loins”
By Kory Grow

Excerpt:

"When Morrissey decided to cover the Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” for an upcoming double-vinyl reissue of his Low in High School album, he wanted to play it loose with the lyrics. “I didn’t ever see the lyrics correctly printed because I wanted to sing them as I had always thought they were,” he tells Rolling Stone via e-mail. “This is tricky with [Pretenders singer] Chrissie [Hynde] because sometimes she’ll sing into a misty wobble. So, I decided to wobble also.”

Other than a few switched-up words, though, it’s mostly a reverent cover. He croons Hynde’s lyrics, wobbling his voice, along with a jangly guitar line that sounds like a mix of his solo music and the Pretenders. He recorded it this past April at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. The song will also be available as a 45 with cover art, out November 23rd, which features Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “I Didn’t Know What to Do” on the flip side. Morrissey proudly points out the single sleeve features writer and feminist Germaine Greer, with the expanded LP out December 7th."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...etenders-back-on-the-chain-gang-cover-748605/

Studio & video versions are different to the live arrangements.
Moz on guitar!
Rolling Stone got the scoop, then linked to by 'Official' with the pre-order advert for the deluxe:

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkc1ce

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited:
Reckon the last 2 gigs I have been paying a little more attention to the cuddly Air Morrissey band mascot Brittish Marshmallow Man. I reckon it appears that he basically is the sound dude pretending to play a guitar. He is always listening to all the monitors on stage and adjusting everyone's amps. Reckon if he is paying for his own flights to Moz Angeles since he is the only one not living in Moz Angeles.

I ye reckon me hope the rumors are true that Uncle Steve is going to cover his all time favorite song "Under the Bridge" and play the guitar part while singing. That would be so TOP ACE MENTAL!

Last edited:
Reckon the last 2 gigs I have been paying a little more attention to the cuddly Air Morrissey band mascot Brittish Marshmallow Man. I reckon it appears that he basically is the sound dude pretending to play a guitar. He is always listening to all the monitors on stage and adjusting everyone's amps. Reckon if he is paying for his own flights to Moz Angeles since he is the only one not living in Moz Angeles.

I ye reckon me hope the rumors are true that Uncle Steve is going to cover his all time favorite song "Under the Bridge" and play the guitar part while singing. That would be so TOP ACE MENTAL!
The view from your council estate in Brixton kind of gets in the way of it all doesn't it?

I have to be honest, I find this rather dull. I tend to not be interested in cover versions unless there's a sincere attempt to re-imagine the song. A good example would be Mark Kozelek. He took ACDC, and Kiss songs, completely reworked them into his own style, and actually made them sound more profound.

In the case of Morrissey, a good example would be "That's Entertainment."

But this whole paint by numbers cover version style that he has offered up recently just doesn't excite me. Even his cover of the Ramones was mostly a karaoke version.

Morrissey has become something worse than flippant. He has become boring. We don't need a covers album. Morrissey isn't Elvis. His vocal range generally isn't diverse enough to absorb the nuances of other artist's masterpieces.

Morrissey does best singing Morrissey songs; just like many of his songs would, and have sounded absolutely ridiculous coming out of the mouths of lesser talents.

Imagine "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" being sung by other artists? I don't have to. I just listened to five covers of it. The lyrics sound absurd coming from their mouths, but they sound perfect coming out of Morrissey's mouth.

On purpose I did yes as a continuation of the dialogue. Heroin chic involves dancing but mostly a bit with the arms or if not possible at least they blink a bit.
Oh okay. I thought it was jus t that black and white grainy photography of gaunt models from Calvin Klein and the like. The dancers in this video look too well fed.

Last edited:
Like it! Sweet vocal and Moz looks relaxed in the vid.
Jesse's guitar is pretty faithful, no?
Dancing girls is obviously a Sam request. Yet another "retro TV performance" concept (Moz obviously watched thousands as a wee lad).

The guitar playing is utter crap

I agree, I have been a supporter of Jesse but I don’t think he’s done a job on this. It sounds like he’s rushing, he needs to go and listen to the original.

The guitar playing is utter crap
based on what,enlighten us with your vast knowledge of guitar playing.
always wondered what happened to bob the builder.

Easily his worst video ever to go with his uninteresting albums ever since Viva Hate. A young Moz would have recorded it at the the building site of the swedish company building the mexican wall.
I see him swaying his hips and banging a drum or something and having his tongue firmly placed in one cheek. A new song of course with lyrics like:

"The wall is real but the weather is nice
ice cream and cold drinks
and a water melon slice"
You know, a video with lyrics that totally ignores the topic of the site where he is not THAT would be bold and brave of him.
too early on a Saturday for your verbal mince.

Always loved this song and Morrissey makes a really good cover of it.
Like the video as well and some really nice bass in there.

I used to dance like one of those girls back in my drinking days.

currently sitting with 160 thousand views on youtube,all is good in morrisseyland.
can somebody enlighten me,the tshirt on the merchandise stand had a joan jett cassette tape,does it say Morrissey on the tshirt or was the table selling some joan merch as well.the pic on here was cropped so couldn't tell.

currently sitting with 160 thousand views on youtube,all is good in morrisseyland.
can somebody enlighten me,the tshirt on the merchandise stand had a joan jett cassette tape,does it say Morrissey on the tshirt or was the table selling some joan merch as well.the pic on here was cropped so couldn't tell.

Is that a good number? I don't really know what the figures mean when it comes to Youtube views?
Close to the LIHS songs a week after they were released?
Also, is this the first time Morrissey has sung a song with a key change?

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom