B Sumner (of New Order) and Echo & Bunnyman new album flops!

It goes back even further, to the earliest days of The Smiths. They've never liked each other, at least publicly. It's hard to know how serious they are about their dislike of one another, as New Order (particularly Hooky) and Morrissey alike seem to be in the habit of slagging off peers. I don't think any of the public remarks should be taken seriously. I mean, I'm sure Morrissey doesn't like Bernard Sumner and vice versa, but I don't think it amounts to serious hatred or anything. These "feuds" are overhyped.

I'm pretty sure there is a Manchester-based dislike of Morrissey. I say this because many Mancunians have said Morrissey is not a "real Mancunian" (the standard line is, "He's a genius but a real twat and not one of us"). Of course, since I am an ignorant Yankee pig, I wouldn't dream of knowing the first thing about Manchester's tribal attitudes, but this is the impression transmitted through interviews and such.

Quite correct. It was mainly due to the Smiths moving out of the 'Manchester scene' and not signing to Tony Wilson's label and signing to the London Indie label ( Rough Trade ) instead. Oh, how this was a thorn in the side to Anthony H. Wilson and the other Factory crew. I used to know Hooky quite well around the 1888/91 years and I would often try and probe him with questions about Morrissey, but the worse thing he had to say about him was that he was boring. :(

I think that attitude primarily comes from rival Manchester musicians rather than the majority of Mancunians. I don't think Morrissey was ever part of their in crowd and therefore it was a bit annoying when he did so well. I think most ordinary Mancunians are proud of Morrissey, whenever there is some sort of local poll he usually comes out top.

To be fair to Morrssey I don't think he's ever said anything too bad about either of these two bands. The animosity seems to be more on their side, and more of a personal dislike than anything else (even though none of them seem to know him personally).

Is there some kind of regional rivalry between Salford and, uh, wherever Morrissey is from? I've just always gotten this "West Side Story" vibe, like feuding neighborhoods or something. I've never been able to piece it together because I don't know anything about Manchester's neighborhoods or suburbs or whatever they're called.

I see on Google Maps ( :) ) that Salford is north of Stretford, but King's Road seems placed between Stretford and central Manchester. Are Mancunians that territorial?

I wish I could fish out some quotes from people I've read over the years. I don't know why I have the impression Morrissey is considered an outsider, it's just an impression I've formed. Perhaps I'm wrong, or maybe I'm right and they do dislike him, but because of who he is and not where he's from.

Or maybe they just think his claim to be a working class kid is full of shit in light of his Wildeness. I don't know.

I'm sorry for the rambling incoherent post. Very inconclusive, and I'm not even drunk. I suppose it's just because the city of Manchester is a great mystery to me, the one part of The Smiths' story I've never completely understood. (Yes, I own "Panic On The Streets", but it doesn't help on the question of personal "feuds" :) )

Quite correct. It was mainly due to the Smiths moving out of the 'Manchester scene' and not signing to Tony Wilson's label and signing to the London Indie label ( Rough Trade ) instead. Oh, how this was a thorn in the side to Anthony H. Wilson and the other Factory crew. I used to know Hooky quite well around the 1888/91 years and I would often try and probe him with questions about Morrissey, but the worse thing he had to say about him was that he was boring. :(

Was Hooky still bitter about The Smiths signing to Rough Trade even in 1988? I mean, Hooky the bass player probably didn't care, but Hooky the Factory man probably did. It surely would have helped Hooky and friends. Wilson could have thrown away half of The Smiths' money instead of all of New Order's. :lbf:

You are very lucky to have been friends with Hooky. Despite his occasional anti-Morrissey remarks, he's a music hero of mine.

On first listen, I'm impressed by this.:guitar: Has anybody got anything to say about the album, overall?

There are lots of reviews and such at New Order Online. It has been surprisingly well-received by NO fans. We all pretty much agree that it isn't anything jaw-dropping, but it has a lot of replayability and the tracks are really uplifting.

http://www.neworderonline.com/Forums/ThreadList.aspx?ForumID=1

Make sure you get all the bonus tracks, including "These Changes," "Walk On Silver Water" (LOVE that one), "Falling Trees," "Split The Atom," "Higher Wider Deeper" (Japanese bonus track) and "How Long" (iTunes bonus track). They're currently on tour at the moment.

it isn't anything jaw-dropping, but it has a lot of replayability and the tracks are really uplifting.

I felt this way about most of "Get Ready" and all of "Sirens' Call". From any other band that would be acceptable, but not from New Order. I'm glad this new material is under Bad Lieutenant's banner.

I'll listen to the songs you mentioned, though.

Regarding the Bunnymen, I was delighted to find that iTunes U.S. now has a recording of their Royal Albert Hall gig from '83. I wasn't aware it was out before. It's a stellar show, one of the best live albums I've ever heard. It is the Bunnymen's "Rank". And that's all I have to say about their new studio album. :)

Ooh! Thanks for that! :thumb:

"Never Cry Another Tear" isn't earth shattering, but it's a very solid, feel-good album. Check out "This Is Home" -

The new singer and Bernard both share vocals on this one.

Hey, this is pretty decent. :)

Put some Morrissey vocals on this track, and you have a real winner!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of reviews and such at New Order Online. It has been surprisingly well-received by NO fans. We all pretty much agree that it isn't anything jaw-dropping, but it has a lot of replayability and the tracks are really uplifting.

http://www.neworderonline.com/Forums/ThreadList.aspx?ForumID=1

Make sure you get all the bonus tracks, including "These Changes," "Walk On Silver Water" (LOVE that one), "Falling Trees," "Split The Atom," "Higher Wider Deeper" (Japanese bonus track) and "How Long" (iTunes bonus track). They're currently on tour at the moment.

Thanks for the 'heads up'. :thumb:

Does anyone have a copy of "How Long" the itunes bonus track? I bought the deluxe edition through the band, only to find out this track can only be found on itunes.
Thanks

I think some people take their morrissey obsession a bit too far if they start hating a band becos they once said nasty thing about morrissey:lbf: I've not got the latest bunnymen album but I think they are class.

I think some people take their morrissey obsession a bit too far if they start hating a band becos they once said nasty thing about morrissey:lbf: I've not got the latest bunnymen album but I think they are class.

quite right, and just to prove it, I've always quite liked the Cure (well their mid to late 80's singles, at least) as well as the Cocteau Twins - two bands Moz famously hated.
I just can't stand McCulloch and Sumner - pair of tedious, over-rated bores (in my very humblee)...

Hopefully it'll bring B. Sumner's attitude down a peg or ten.

I think that attitude primarily comes from rival Manchester musicians rather than the majority of Mancunians. I don't think Morrissey was ever part of their in crowd and therefore it was a bit annoying when he did so well. I think most ordinary Mancunians are proud of Morrissey, whenever there is some sort of local poll he usually comes out top.
To be fair to Morrssey I don't think he's ever said anything too bad about either of these two bands. The animosity seems to be more on their side, and more of a personal dislike than anything else (even though none of them seem to know him personally).

That's because people on here vote 42,000 times each:D

Jukebox Jury

quite right, and just to prove it, I've always quite liked the Cure (well their mid to late 80's singles, at least) as well as the Cocteau Twins - two bands Moz famously hated.
I just can't stand McCulloch and Sumner - pair of tedious, over-rated bores (in my very humblee)...

I like The Cure as well:thumb:, decent decade for music when you think about it although isn't general opinion that it wasn't? The Smiths, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen, Kate Bush (I like her as much as Morrissey), I even like a bit of the ole ultravox and Human league, guilty pleasures:guitar:

Peter Hook has slagged Morrissey off loads of times, but I can't remember Barney Sumner doing so. Was it in a interview?

Mac slags everyone off. It's what he does. I don't think he should be taken too seriously.

Oh, and the new Bunnymen album is indeed crap. They're still great live, though.

Back
Top Bottom