B Sumner (of New Order) and Echo & Bunnyman new album flops!

Maurice E

The new albums of two Moz-hating, 1980's, indie blokes have completely bombed.
The Echo and the Bunnyman album entered the chart at 63, and Barry Sumners new band (Bad Lieutenant) entered at an even-more-dismal 70.
Hoorah!

I was stuck in a car and forced to listen to the Echo & The Bunnymn album. It's shite. All the same cack.

Peter

Oi! I love Joy Division, New Order, and Bernard Sumner's new band. Saw them on Thursday, they were quality. Sumner is one of my musical heroes, just like Morrissey!

I didn't know he hated Morrissey though. He is a very good friend of Johnny Marr.

I've only heard the new Bunnymen single and it's just poor to be honest.

Not heard Bad Lieutenant and not that fussed to.

I'm not swayed by either of their opinions on Morrissey either, they've just had their day.

"Never Cry Another Tear" isn't earth shattering, but it's a very solid, feel-good album. Check out "This Is Home" -

The new singer and Bernard both share vocals on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the hostility. I'm a fan of all three. Any rancor between them was just professional rivalry, as far as I could tell. Ian and Benard have been catty toward Morrissey, but the latter hasn't exactly been singing the praises of New Order or the Bunnymen, either. Who cares?

I won't be buying Bad Lieutenant.

Regarding the Bunnymen, I was delighted to find that iTunes U.S. now has a recording of their Royal Albert Hall gig from '83. I wasn't aware it was out before. It's a stellar show, one of the best live albums I've ever heard. It is the Bunnymen's "Rank". And that's all I have to say about their new studio album. :)

The new albums of two Moz-hating, 1980's, indie blokes have completely bombed.
The Echo and the Bunnyman album entered the chart at 63, and Barry Sumners new band (Bad Lieutenant) entered at an even-more-dismal 70.
Hoorah!

Who's Barry Sumners, Maurice? :confused:

"Never Cry Another Tear" isn't earth shattering, but it's a very solid, feel-good album. Check out "This Is Home" -

The new singer and Bernard both share vocals on this one.

On first listen, I'm impressed by this.:guitar: Has anybody got anything to say about the album, overall?

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. All Bernard and Mac have to do now is say,"Morrissey is great" and their stock on here will go right up again.

you guys are right with the schadenfreude thing but it's not really coz they don't like Moz (I was a big fan of Steven Wells, notorious Moz-hating journalist) altho Barry Sumners does seem a bit obsessed with him in a v negative way.
I just don't think much of them, and I'm sure that (in the unlikely event of us meeting) the feeling would probably be mutual!

you guys are right with the schadenfreude thing but it's not really coz they don't like Moz (I was a big fan of Steven Wells, notorious Moz-hating journalist) altho Barry Sumners does seem a bit obsessed with him in a v negative way.
I just don't think much of them, and I'm sure that (in the unlikely event of us meeting) the feeling would probably be mutual!

I think the Bernard aka Barney Sumner negative view of Moz stemmed from Morrissey's outspoken hatred of the rave scene, of which Barney was not only a contributor, but also a massive fan of raves, going by the amount of times I used to see him dancing all night at the Hacienda and warehouses in Blackburn. I wouldn't think that the hostility towards him is as prevalent nowadays.

I think the Bernard aka Barney Sumner negative view of Moz stemmed from Morrissey's outspoken hatred of the rave scene, of which Barney was not only a contributor, but also a massive fan of raves, going by the amount of times I used to see him dancing all night at the Hacienda and warehouses in Blackburn. I wouldn't think that the hostility towards him is as prevalent nowadays.

It goes back even further, to the earliest days of The Smiths. They've never liked each other, at least publicly. It's hard to know how serious they are about their dislike of one another, as New Order (particularly Hooky) and Morrissey alike seem to be in the habit of slagging off peers. I don't think any of the public remarks should be taken seriously. I mean, I'm sure Morrissey doesn't like Bernard Sumner and vice versa, but I don't think it amounts to serious hatred or anything. These "feuds" are overhyped.

I'm pretty sure there is a Manchester-based dislike of Morrissey. I say this because many Mancunians have said Morrissey is not a "real Mancunian" (the standard line is, "He's a genius but a real twat and not one of us"). Of course, since I am an ignorant Yankee pig, I wouldn't dream of knowing the first thing about Manchester's tribal attitudes, but this is the impression transmitted through interviews and such.

Last edited:
I don't understand the hostility. I'm a fan of all three. Any rancor between them was just professional rivalry, as far as I could tell. Ian and Benard have been catty toward Morrissey, but the latter hasn't exactly been singing the praises of New Order or the Bunnymen, either. Who cares?

I could care less what either thinks about Morrissey nor what he thinks about them.I have always enjoyed New Order up till that last album, which was dreadful.The bunnymen had many decent songs, though I would not call myself a big fan.I just think these two new releases are shit.:)

It goes back even further, to the earliest days of The Smiths. They've never liked each other, at least publicly. It's hard to know how serious they are about their dislike of one another, as New Order (particularly Hooky) and Morrissey alike seem to be in the habit of slagging off peers. I don't think any of the public remarks should be taken seriously. I mean, I'm sure Morrissey doesn't like Bernard Sumner and vice versa, but I don't think it amounts to serious hatred or anything. These "feuds" are overhyped.

I'm pretty sure there is a Manchester-based dislike of Morrissey. I say this because many Mancunians have said Morrissey is not a "real Mancunian" (the standard line is, "He's a genius but a real twat and not one of us"). Of course, since I am an ignorant Yankee pig, I wouldn't dream of knowing the first thing about Manchester's tribal attitudes, but this is the impression transmitted through interviews and such.

I think that attitude primarily comes from rival Manchester musicians rather than the majority of Mancunians. I don't think Morrissey was ever part of their in crowd and therefore it was a bit annoying when he did so well. I think most ordinary Mancunians are proud of Morrissey, whenever there is some sort of local poll he usually comes out top.

To be fair to Morrssey I don't think he's ever said anything too bad about either of these two bands. The animosity seems to be more on their side, and more of a personal dislike than anything else (even though none of them seem to know him personally).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom