"Autobiography" sells 20,000 copies on its first day; other deals shortly?

Link posted by @Intl_Playboy / Twitter:

The Mysteries of Morrissey
- Publishers Lunch
by MICHAEL CADER on OCTOBER 18, 2013

After one of the strangest paths to publication we've seen, British musician Morrissey's memoir AUTOBIOGRAPHY sold 20,000 trade paperback units in its first day on sale, Penguin UK reported. A spokesman for Waterstones Jon Howells explained to the AP, "In Britain, he is one of our icons. His is the great untold story from the '80s generation of music heroes." The author launched the book at a signing...in Sweden. Reviews in the UK newspapers have ranged from high to low. For a quick overview, the Daily Beast has already culled the "juiciest bits."

Though rights had not been sold previously outside of the UK/Commonwealth, William Morris Endeavor is currently selling both US and translation rights via Tracy Fisher and Kirby Kim in New York. (Reportedly, Morrissey signed with WME in 2011.) They report "a number of major deals" on the way shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose they were just gauging sales in the uk. seems obvious there would have been other book signings especially in the usa where some words in the book are already spelt the American way. plus he has a massive fan base in the usa why would they not release it there

Here's a short summary of "Autobiography": Morrissey f***s men, hangs around with some Iranian fag hag and blames other people for his own mistakes.

Big surprise.

A Journey by Tony Blair apparently holds the record for fastest-selling autobiography, with 92,000 in the first four days. Not sure if that is a UK or worldwide record.

JK Rowling sold 2.6 million Harry Potters in a day, though.

A Journey by Tony Blair apparently holds the record for fastest-selling autobiography, with 92,000 in the first four days. Not sure if that is a UK or worldwide record.

JK Rowling sold 2.6 million Harry Potters in a day, though.

I never realised Tony Blair had sold so many books. Must have been a shortage of toilet paper that week or something?

What I want to know is if massive interest in a book equals a significant interest in Morrissey, leading to interest in pitching Morrissey a recording deal that actually suits his fancy...

I think it depends on the longevity of the media and cultural interest in the book. If it gets some real legs for the holiday season, it certainly increases his chances. I would still question whether he or not he has enough material - or material sufficiently marketable for some corporate entity to take a flier on. It is art to Morrissey, but strictly the bottom line to the types that he wants to sign him.

Here's a short summary of "Autobiography": Morrissey f***s men, hangs around with some Iranian fag hag and blames other people for his own mistakes.

Big surprise.

Here's your autobiography: can't get a girlfriend, sits on internet crying. The end.

Big surprise.

Did Morrissey refuse to sign your spotty forehead when you were 12 or something? I can see no other reason for your obvious bitterness.

Big surprise.

Wow, that's all there is to life in your eyes, eh? And you wonder why you are lampooned by life.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom