Australian versions query

Morning Star

For Eurocommunism!
I am an Australian Smiths/Morrissey (part time) collector and was just wondering about how rare Australian editions of Smiths stuff are, as a few posts have alluded to Australian versions being quite collectable.

I know if the Australian version is different in someway then it's worth something, but what about just an Australian pressing that would be exactly like the Uk edition, if it didn't have "made in Australia" on it.

For example, I have a promo copy of 'The World Won't Listen" single LP, pressed in Australia. Is this more rare than the UK version? I'm just thinking that if Aussie editions are at all rarer, then I might start looking out for Aussie versions of my UK LPs and CDs.

Does this make sense? Be gentle, I'm new.:(

Welcome to Solo.

You can find out about rarities from a thread List of Top100 rarities which is still on page 1 of this forum.

Also you can read threads posted on this forums which are related to your query.

I like Oz pressings of vinyl; they have that cool green and red label.

There's a World Won't Listen on double vinyl from Australia. Finding a white label promo would be a coup.

The Aussie cd singles are very rare. I still need a Barbarism.

The CBS pressing of The Queen Is Dead features a unique version of Some Girls; the song fades out at the beginning differently and is shocking when heard for the first time.

Naturally the Aussie Ask 12" and 45s are coveted. I think I have a double cassette of "Louder Than Bombs" on CBS Australia. "The 12 Inch Mixes" cd single and casstte from Australia are also sought after.

The "Morrissey..." Aussie promo 12" is nice. "Education In Reverse" never seemed that rare, but I'm sure you could find the cassette and lp for cheap from time to time.

The real money is in the Aussie U2 singles in colored vinyl... Might as well keep an eye out for those when you're digging for Smiths/Moz. That's how I funded a large portion of my own collection; buying rarities by other artists while I was in shops looking for Smiths/Moz and either trading them with dealers for Smiths/Moz, or selling them on eBay.

Basically your country is chock full of rarities. Vicious Sloth in Victoria has been the go-to Aussie dealer for decades.

thank you for the info - esp. the EIL listings.

i was surprised to see this though:

THE SMITHS Meat Is Murder (Rare 1985 Australian issue 10-track vinyl LP with the exclusive RTRANZ catalogue number, picture sleeve and original picture insert. The sleeve shows signs of minor spine rubbing, but the vinyl is MINT & flawless - a gr eat copy! RTRANZ010)
£ 75.00

i bought a mint copy of this for $20 (about 8 pounds!)

EIL prices should never be taken seriously. Even at half off they're still high.

Is the different version of 'some girls' on both the vinyl and cd versions of the Aussie Queen Is Dead?

Australian "Stop Me" are also very good

I've never really noticed any difference in Morrissey/Smiths vinyl here compared to overseas, but then again I haven't exactly been looking. I do have a copy of Viva Hate with it's original title "Education in Reverse" which I think is pretty cool, apparently that was more widespread here in Australia than anywhere else in the world.

I'm not sure where in Australia you are, but there is an awesome store in Melbourne in St Kilda called Rare Records (rarerecords.com.au) which has lots of nice Australian/Tour editions of things from vinyl to posters or badges or clothes or whatever it would be, they also cycle through their stock a bit so if you check every 6 months or so you're not going to see the exact same thing. Unless like me you see this one awesome Mr Bungle white long sleeved "California" tshirt in just my size sitting in the store for nearly 2 years that I keep telling myself I'll get next time, and the day I walk in the store with my money in hand ready to buy it I'm told it sold the week before :( :( :(

I still have (somewhere) a couple Mr. Bungle tour shirts from when I saw them twice in the early '90s.

Is the different version of 'some girls' on both the vinyl and cd versions of the Aussie Queen Is Dead?

Yes, that version is on all formats of the original pressings on CBS and the Festival Records reissues. They are not on the Australian WEA reissues however.

The original Australian cds were mastered from vinyl.

Stephane

One of my favourites is the Aussie World won't listen CD with the original art work. So without the cropped version of the cover.

Back
Top Bottom