At the Hollywood Bowl, Morrissey faithful make peace with his right-wing rhetoric - LA Times

Link from shoplifterromo:

At the Hollywood Bowl, Morrissey faithful make peace with his right-wing rhetoric - Los Angeles Times

Excerpt:

For many Morrissey fans at his show Saturday, they’ve found a detente between his music and his slide into right-wing rhetoric.

“He’s a human being, and his music speaks to a lot of people,” said Erika Alvarenga. “He’s entitled to his opinions. I’m not affected by it at all. The music is separate from his views.”

“But if he ever started singing about immigrants, I wouldn’t come to his concerts anymore,” Jimmy Alvarenga added.

Most Morrissey fans seemed aware that his politics and comments had turned darker since the U.S. and U.K. elections of 2016. But that didn’t seem to overly bother them as they waited outside the 17,500-capacity Hollywood Bowl. Morrissey isn’t quite the commercial draw he was decades ago — the day before the concert, many upper-level sections were barely half-sold — but by showtime, the crowd had filled out closer to capacity.

Melissa Gomez, 46, from Rosemead, didn’t hesitate to say that she’d stick by Morrissey.

“No way,” she said, when asked if his anti-immigrant stances might ever cost him her fandom. Gomez is Mexican American, and although treatment of migrants is a searing issue in American life, she wore her Morrissey shirt proudly. “He’s not the threat here,” she said. “He’s a good person.”

Onstage at the Bowl, Morrissey struck a grateful tone, back in his adopted hometown in a left-leaning state. “I’m home, I’m home, I’m home,” he said, as he dove into his single “Suedehead,” which brought the crowd to its feet. He even titled his new album of classic-songbook covers “California Son,” a nod to the generations of fans here that have supported him through thick and thin.

But at times, he couldn’t help himself, at one point donning a T-shirt bearing a profanity directed at the Guardian, a left-leaning British newspaper that has criticized his rhetoric in recent years.

Some fans admitted they’d gone through mental gymnastics to square the sensitive singer they know and love with the unsurprising possibility that a very wealthy 60-year-old white man from Britain might have some unsavory views about immigrants in 2019. “I was really surprised,” Jimmy Alvarenga said, recalling when he first heard of Morrissey’s slide rightward.

But others seemed resigned that canceling Morrissey at this point may just be too much of a loss.

“He says the dumbest stuff,” said Evan Navarro, 23, of L.A., who has listened to Morrissey and the Smiths for a decade. “But I love his music. There’s just too much history there.”

Related item:

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC
SIGNING OTHER ARTISTS ALBUMS AND SELLING THEM FOR HUGE PROFIT IS WHERE ITS AT.

4CK MORRISSEY

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

"He says the dumbest stuff,” said Evan Navarro, 23, of L.A."

Well, that's a huge understatement, Evan!

What I don't understand is why the press think Morrissey's political opinions are well-thought-out or even sane.

He's been on antidepressants since the 1970s. He mainly sings about rejection, loneliness, child abuse & death.

He's so dysfunctional, keeping himself together is probably a hard enough job, nevermind being a spokesman for anything.

"I’m home, I’m home, I’m home,” cooed Morrissey in every town he has ever darkened. Now, did he mean physical home or spiritual home? Maybe Katmine Sun could advise? Or, was this just some insipid platitude that bands of old used to exclaim "we love you *insert town or city of choice*".

L.A. you are welcome to him. He's every bit as phoney as Holywood is.

"I’m home, I’m home, I’m home,” cooed Morrissey in every town he has ever darkened. Now, did he mean physical home or spiritual home? Maybe Katmine Sun could advise? Or, was this just some insipid platitude that bands of old used to exclaim "we love you *insert town or city of choice*".

Skinny are you now protesting Moz saying 'Im Home'?
You are going cuckoo.

Why is this an issue? Morrissey has never hidden the fact that he was a nationalist. "England is mine and it owes me a living". "England for the English". "Life is hard enough when you belong here". A lot of Western countries are losing their identities for better or worse. When entire neighborhoods in Belgium have become populated by folks from Islamic countries, it must impact generations of "pure laine" (pure wool) Belgians. Western Canada and U.S. with Hong Kong immigration. If Morrissey sings his opinions, I find that genuine.

Morrissey simply wants his England back - the one the globalists have spent years destroying.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this and to sympathize.

Morrissey says what he wants, and sometimes the truth hurts, to me its unbelievable that his years of slagging off the English Royal Family seem irrelevant, yet the "English" (if we are to believe the Guardian), are more concerned with the welfare of minority groups, which demand everything is changed to suit them, and to refuse is to be Racist. Morrissey said a few things, but he only speaks words, I don't recall him killing anyone to get his message home. And dare I say it, maybe a lot of people are in partial agreement, yet silent. Their are a number of people involved with the Manchester music scene who normally slag Morrissey at any available opportunity, yet they have not said anything about this issue, why would that be?

I had a terrific time. Steve sounded SUPERB.

Sure I ugly cried during "Yes, I am blind" and "Days of Decision", but thats because I am dealing with the immense PRESSURE of being the boss of the ZARA stockroom. It's so hard!

"He says the dumbest stuff,” said Evan Navarro, 23, of L.A."

Well, that's a huge understatement, Evan!
"He's not the threat here, he's a good person" Melissa Gomez.
That's a huge understatement, Melissa.

I see all the Whiney paupers from the last thread are still wittering on this new thread about the same olde drivel, then thinking they are intelligent and know their politics. I often wonder if they just do it for their own amusement. Well please don’t stop it really makes me laugh when the paupers carry themselves on, on this site, reading what they post on here makes me feel intelligent, rounded, gifted, please paupers, don’t stop, you make me feel even more alive

Loooooool

He probably means on stage in front of those who want to see and hear him. That’s home

Why is this an issue? Morrissey has never hidden the fact that he was a nationalist. "England is mine and it owes me a living". "England for the English". "Life is hard enough when you belong here". A lot of Western countries are losing their identities for better or worse. When entire neighborhoods in Belgium have become populated by folks from Islamic countries, it must impact generations of "pure laine" (pure wool) Belgians. Western Canada and U.S. with Hong Kong immigration. If Morrissey sings his opinions, I find that genuine.

It's more complicated than that, he has talked about growing up in a fiercely Irish Catholic family & he's said that he didn't feel he belonged to Manchester, even though he grew up there. I think his attachment to England is more about wanting it to be his, rather than him actually thinking that it is his. Which is why he gets hurt & leaves so often.

Link from shoplifterromo:

At the Hollywood Bowl, Morrissey faithful make peace with his right-wing rhetoric - Los Angeles Times

Excerpt:

For many Morrissey fans at his show Saturday, they’ve found a detente between his music and his slide into right-wing rhetoric.

“He’s a human being, and his music speaks to a lot of people,” said Erika Alvarenga. “He’s entitled to his opinions. I’m not affected by it at all. The music is separate from his views.”

“But if he ever started singing about immigrants, I wouldn’t come to his concerts anymore,” Jimmy Alvarenga added.

Most Morrissey fans seemed aware that his politics and comments had turned darker since the U.S. and U.K. elections of 2016. But that didn’t seem to overly bother them as they waited outside the 17,500-capacity Hollywood Bowl. Morrissey isn’t quite the commercial draw he was decades ago — the day before the concert, many upper-level sections were barely half-sold — but by showtime, the crowd had filled out closer to capacity.

Melissa Gomez, 46, from Rosemead, didn’t hesitate to say that she’d stick by Morrissey.

“No way,” she said, when asked if his anti-immigrant stances might ever cost him her fandom. Gomez is Mexican American, and although treatment of migrants is a searing issue in American life, she wore her Morrissey shirt proudly. “He’s not the threat here,” she said. “He’s a good person.”

Onstage at the Bowl, Morrissey struck a grateful tone, back in his adopted hometown in a left-leaning state. “I’m home, I’m home, I’m home,” he said, as he dove into his single “Suedehead,” which brought the crowd to its feet. He even titled his new album of classic-songbook covers “California Son,” a nod to the generations of fans here that have supported him through thick and thin.

But at times, he couldn’t help himself, at one point donning a T-shirt bearing a profanity directed at the Guardian, a left-leaning British newspaper that has criticized his rhetoric in recent years.

Some fans admitted they’d gone through mental gymnastics to square the sensitive singer they know and love with the unsurprising possibility that a very wealthy 60-year-old white man from Britain might have some unsavory views about immigrants in 2019. “I was really surprised,” Jimmy Alvarenga said, recalling when he first heard of Morrissey’s slide rightward.

But others seemed resigned that canceling Morrissey at this point may just be too much of a loss.

“He says the dumbest stuff,” said Evan Navarro, 23, of L.A., who has listened to Morrissey and the Smiths for a decade. “But I love his music. There’s just too much history there.”

Related item:

“No way, I’m sticking by him. I wouldn’t have a social life if I left the Moz scene. So I’ll put up with his garbage views and lies because let’s face it I have nothing else. Anti-immigration is very important to me but it’s Morrissey so oh well!” - fan with no spine or convictions. Or brains

I had a terrific time. Steve sounded SUPERB.

Sure I ugly cried during "Yes, I am blind" and "Days of Decision", but thats because I am dealing with the immense PRESSURE of being the boss of the ZARA stockroom. It's so hard!
and they say nurses have got it hard,my heart bleeds for you and your stockroom and that's from someone who spent 11 years in retail.

Morrissey simply wants his England back - the one the globalists have spent years destroying.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this and to sympathize.

Oh f*** off you racist turd. Not even Morrissey deserves a sewer like you.

How many other forums do you frequent with your racist shite? Several I'd wager.

You are the very definition of troll.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom