"At home with Mozzer early 90’s" - mrjakewalters / Instagram

full

mrjakewalters / Instagram
At home with Mozzer early 90’s. #Morrissey #JakeWalters #archive

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing coded or cryptic to be honest.
It was actually Jake that gave him the pendant in the first place ('allegedly').
It simply denotes 1 ounce of silver - you could have bought many similar looking items in a jewelry store prior to Moz ever wearing it. I'm sure others will have romanticised its meaning, but that's probably the gist of it.
As they say: don't let facts get in the way of a good story :)

View attachment 47286

Regards,
FWD.
His I'm the third Kray phase.

I couldn't find the quote, pep! there was a lot to read and seems like the first few pages couldn't be displayed. maybe the quote was on those pages?

I couldn't find the quote, pep! there was a lot to read and seems like the first few pages couldn't be displayed. maybe the quote was on those pages?
Here is the full "Soft Touch" Mat Snow interview transcript from the late Compsoc info. site using the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010310010807/https://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/quotes/qdec1989.htm
There is audio of it kicking around YT too IIRC.
It was a long interview that ended up in Q Magazine.
(The bit you are after is quoted in the beginning of the article).
Regards,
FWD.

Here is the full "Soft Touch" interview transcript from the late Compsoc info. site using the Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010310010807/https://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/quotes/qdec1989.htm
There is audio of it kicking around YT too IIRC.
It was a long interview that ended up in Q Magazine.
(The bit you are after is quoted in the beginning of the article).
Regards,
FWD.
ah thank you! was he kidding about the extreme physical beauty thing?

I imagine it would be more comfortable not to have all that hair under there. men sweat a lot, and the hair I imagine would make the sweat hang around until you have a veritable swamp under your arms. shaven seems much more hygienic.

yes of course. are you serious?! lol! I don't know of ANY man who shaves their armpits! maybe it's something particular to Argentinian men?

I hope not. All men shave or trim their armpits at least from time to time.

Hmm, I wasn't sure it would work. It's on Google books which won't let me cut and paste the words. Just for you, I have typed out the whole passage.

"Aah, the question is so basic I find it hard to answer. Why did you shave your armpits? I find it very fascinating. I did it for a long time, all through the Smiths' career and I still do it occasionally. I can't remember how it began. I don't think there's any great mystical reason. It's very natural,' laughs the eccentric Mancunian hitmaker uneasily. 'Surely you do the same?'
Can't say I do.
'Then you don't know what you're missing, haha!'
And what is your motive?
'Just extreme physical beauty, obviously. Surely you realise that,' he squirms, fiddling with his shoelace. 'This is the first time anybody's asked and I'm very embarrassed. It's not to make a point, or even taking oneself too seriously and trying to project a fascinating pop image. It's just a curious whim. I'm surprised it should be of any faint interest... It has a strangely serene quality, a smoothness to it.'
Then is it the sensation of shaving you like ?
'No, hate it. But I never go a day without shaving. I had to shave when I was 13. That's reasonably young, isn't it ? And I do not have a five o'clock but a two o'clock shadow.'
'But no, I've never shaved my legs ...'

From 'Morrissey in Conversation: the essential interviews, ed. Paul A Woods

EDIT: Just seen that the wonderfully resourceful FWD has sent you a link that works!

Last edited:
Hmm, I wasn't sure it would work. It's on Google books which won't let me cut and paste the words. Just for you, I have typed out the whole passage.

"Aah, the question is so basic I find it hard to answer. Why did you shave your armpits? I find it very fascinating. I did it for a long time, all through the Smiths' career and I still do it occasionally. I can't remember how it began. I don't think there's any great mystical reason. It's very natural,' laughs the eccentric Mancunian hitmaker uneasily. 'Surely you do the same?'
Can't say I do.
'Then you don't know what you're missing, haha!'
And what is your motive?
'Just extreme physical beauty, obviously. Surely you realise that,' he squirms, fiddling with his shoelace. 'This is the first time anybody's asked and I'm very embarrassed. It's not to make a point, or even taking oneself too seriously and trying to project a fascinating pop image. It's just a curious whim. I'm surprised it should be of any faint interest... It has a strangely serene quality, a smoothness to it.'
Then is it the sensation of shaving you like ?
'No, hate it. But I never go a day without shaving. I had to shave when I was 13. That's reasonably young, isn't it ? And I do not have a five o'clock but a two o'clock shadow.'
'But no, I've never shaved my legs ...'

From 'Morrissey in Conversation: the essential interviews, ed. Paul A Woods

EDIT: Just seen that the wonderfully resourceful FWD has sent you a link that works!
yes, he did. fwd has all the links! :p thanks soooooo much for doing that though! do you think the extreme physical beauty thing was just moz's self-deprecating humour, or do you think he was being serious?

yes, he did. fwd has all the links! :p thanks soooooo much for doing that though! do you think the extreme physical beauty thing was just moz's self-deprecating humour, or do you think he was being serious?
I think he was serious, but as usual not being completely candid. I think he has a really strong sense of imagery/iconography, mixed with an equally strong sense of the homoerotic. I think the shaving/not shaving were at the time equally important statements - they both make you look at his body, and both images are really homoerotic (or possibly just erotic, since I'm enjoying them as well :D)

ah thank you! was he kidding about the extreme physical beauty thing?

I imagine it would be more comfortable not to have all that hair under there. men sweat a lot, and the hair I imagine would make the sweat hang around until you have a veritable swamp under your arms. shaven seems much more hygienic.
From my experience, it's a complex and contradictory business. I had an ex-husband (first ex) who even used to shave his legs, but then he was a transvestite... And I had a boyfriend who shaved all his pubes (really not my thing, looks like the last chicken in the shop), but who wouldn't have dreamt of shaving his armpits. And the more recent ex wouldn't dream of shaving anything at all - just not on his radar, he would find the whole idea pointless and bizarre. So I imagine there's a whole spectrum out there.

From my experience, it's a complex and contradictory business. I had an ex-husband (first ex) who even used to shave his legs, but then he was a transvestite... And I had a boyfriend who shaved all his pubes (really not my thing, looks like the last chicken in the shop), but who wouldn't have dreamt of shaving his armpits. And the more recent ex wouldn't dream of shaving anything at all - just not on his radar, he would find the whole idea pointless and bizarre. So I imagine there's a whole spectrum out there.
ooh you married a transvestite! oh peppy, you've had such an interesting life! did you know he was a transvestite when you married him or did you find out later much to your vexation or did you find out later and think "well, this is fun! a transvestite!"? did you share clothes? give us the deets!

From Autumn of 1989.

The vital armpit issues begin around the 13 minute mark...

í miss the 80s...they both sound like they are on Valium :)

ooh you married a transvestite! oh peppy, you've had such an interesting life! did you know he was a transvestite when you married him or did you find out later much to your vexation or did you find out later and think "well, this is fun! a transvestite!"? did you share clothes? give us the deets!
Ahh, it's such a long time ago. Yes, I did know, but I was very young and didn't think it was a big deal. I thought it was just a curiosity, and I thought, well, why not? But I didn't realise how fundamental it was to him, and I ended up feeling, 'This is not what I signed up for'. It wasn't fun in the end, it was creepy and confusing. I am simplifying a lot, obviously. But it did screw me up for quite a time afterwards. Anyway, each to their own and all that, but not something I could handle.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom