Associates & Aztec Camera

J

Jamie

I'm trying to fill the gaps in my CD collection left by rated Brit bands. Two that I've been curious but cautious about investigating are Aztec Camera & the Associates. Can anyone kindly recommend particular albums by both artists that are worth discovering? Additionally, is the Associates song "Stephen You're Really Something" (purportedly about SPM) any good?

Cheers,

Jamie

> I'm trying to fill the gaps in my CD collection left by rated Brit bands.
> Two that I've been curious but cautious about investigating are Aztec
> Camera & the Associates. Can anyone kindly recommend particular albums
> by both artists that are worth discovering? Additionally, is the
> Associates song "Stephen You're Really Something" (purportedly
> about SPM) any good?

> Cheers,

> Jamie

My favourite Associates album is actually "Fourth Drawer Down" but their most fully realised album is probably "Sulk" - both IMHO are excellent representations of the Alan Rankine -era of the Associates. There's also a recently-released 2-volume BBC Sessions set (tracklistings at http://www.pinnacle-entertainment.co.uk/product.php?productID=51606 and http://www.pinnacle-entertainment.co.uk/product.php?productID=54358 ) which gives a pretty good overview of the Associates' career - both during and after the Alan Rankine era.

The first two post-Rankine albums "Perhaps" and "The Glamour Chase" are less musically adventurous, whether or not you like them probably depends on whether you like 80s white soul and disco. There's also a (OOP, but fairly easy to find on eBay etc.) best-of compilation called Popera that along with the BBC sessions is quite a good career retrospective up to this point. The last album released under the Associates name "The Wild And The Lonely" isn't very good IMHO. The two albums released under Billy Mac Kenzie's own name - "Outernational" and "Beyond The Sun" (the latter posthumously) are both excellent.

"Stephen (sic) You're Really Something" is mainly interesting because of its clever pastiche of Morrissey's Your Arsenal-era glam-style production - you can't hear most of the lyrics.

> I'm trying to fill the gaps in my CD collection left by rated Brit bands.
> Two that I've been curious but cautious about investigating are Aztec
> Camera & the Associates. Can anyone kindly recommend particular albums
> by both artists that are worth discovering? Additionally, is the
> Associates song "Stephen You're Really Something" (purportedly
> about SPM) any good?

> Cheers,

> Jamie

I forgot to say - IMHO Aztec Camera's "High Land, Hard Rain" - one of the most astonishing debut albums of all time - and "Stray" are excellent. Also, altho' it's almost on a par with admitting you like Wet, Wet, Wet (which, errrm, I do ...) I have a soft spot for "Love" - including the dreaded "Somewhere In My Heart". Onto slightly more defensible territory, Roddy Frame's solo album from last year, "Surf", was excellent IMHO.

Associates. I'd go for "Sulk" ("Skipping" is an incredible track - I can't believe that a major label funded this for the pop charts!) and "High Land" by Aztec Camera. Both are excellent.

TMF

PS Don't forget Orange Juice, unless you're already a fan.

Jamie,

Aztec Camera's, 'High Land Hard Rain' is always considered their best and many fans and critics alike feel it's a masterpiece. I will also agree that, 'Stray' is wonderful. You can get, 'High Land Hard Rain' for just 10 bucks at Amazon.com. See what peaple have to say about the album there. Hope this helps.

John

> Associates. I'd go for "Sulk" ("Skipping" is an
> incredible track - I can't believe that a major label funded this for the
> pop charts!) and "High Land" by Aztec Camera. Both are
> excellent.

'Skipping' is one of my 'Under The Influence' tracks I'd choose.. like you say.. amazing! I always loved 'It's Much better This way' as well.. The Associates were there with the Smiths for me for a 6 months period in the 80's. I loved Rankines crazy unfettered bass lines.. and the way they almost lose their way in the song but somehow comes back to complement McKenzies vocal. wonderful.

Ruffian

Back
Top Bottom