Artists to celebrate 30th anniversary of The Smiths

Don't know if it's the same thing, but it's the same guy - 15 minutes into this Finnish beer ad montage...

P.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Professional ex-Smith" sums Joyce up perfectly.

“Morrissey is pretty vehement that [a reunion] won't happen, he's very funny in his delivery on that". Yeah, because he'd rather be dead than stand on the same stage as you :rolleyes:

As for the exhibition, I haven't been yet but it sounds really good.

“Morrissey is pretty vehement that [a reunion] won't happen, he's very funny in his delivery on that". Yeah, because he'd rather be dead than stand on the same stage as you :rolleyes:

I hate the way that Mike is pilloried - he won the court case, the law is / was on his side - get over it. He was one quarter of the finest quartet Manchester has ever seen.
“Either way I'm a happy man, because I was there first time around, I was there at every gig – it doesn't get better than that.”

Dave

I'd be pretty "vehement" {big word for a drummer} if someone had tried to seize my mothers house.

I hate the way that Mike is pilloried - he won the court case, the law is / was on his side - get over it. He was one quarter of the finest quartet Manchester has ever seen.
“Either way I'm a happy man, because I was there first time around, I was there at every gig – it doesn't get better than that.”

Dave

I don't see why people would care much about Mike, one way or the other. He was a good drummer for sure, but artistically he was so irrelevant he doesn't even feature on the map. He got into the band through his connections with Johnny, turned up to the audition off his face on magic mushrooms, and then screwed over the very people who'd dragged him off the dole in the first place. The fact that he comes running to give his input at the faintest sniff of any Smiths-related media attention (is an exhibition launch really that important?) is evidence of how useless he has been for the past 2 decades. Did you know that (according to Moz, at least), he tried to file a claim as co-composer and producer (with Marr) on The Smiths songs, as well as a ridiculous claim concerning "artwork payments"? :lbf: Clearly, Mike was incredibly desperate, flinging ficticious claims here there and everywhere to bleed money out of Morrissey and Marr. Oh, and:

Morrissey said:
By grabbing the full total of Smiths royalties from Warner Music (and this means that when the public buy a Smiths CD in the UK, the royalties go to Joyce, and have done so since 2001) Joyce has knowingly deprived Andy Rourke of his 10% Smiths royalties, and has deprived producers John Porter, Stephen Street, Grant Showbiz and Steve Lillywhite (for "Ask") of their entitlements. Joyce did not declare to the courts that others - namely, the above - were also beneficiaries to the Warner Music royalties.

And you wonder why he's disliked?

Don't think this deserves a new thread more a continuation of this one....

Panel Discussion/ The Gospel According To… (Part 2) http://www.cornerhouse.org/art/art-events/panel-discussion-the-gospel-according-to-part-2

To coincide with the exhibition The Gospel According To (Part 1), Part 2 takes us back, via contemporary art practice, to the Manchester of the early 80s and the emergence of the legendary group The Smiths.

This panel looks at the cultural and social politics of the time, the Mancunian music scene in relation to The Smiths, and the context for its re-presentation by contemporary artists.

Chaired by John Robb, with guest speakers to be announced.

Alas, it is my partner's birthday that night... don't think she'd appreciate being dragged to a panel discussion about the Smiths :)

Dave

Back
Top Bottom