Article: "Vauxhall And I" (Definitive Master) debuts at #63 in UK Album Charts; "Earth..." and "Ista

From an anonymous person:

Vauxhall And I re-issue has made it to number 63 in the UK Album Charts today.

Elsewhere 'Earth Is The Loneliest Planet' failed to make the UK Top 100 singles today and 'Istanbul' failed to make the UK Top 200 singles 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Vauxhall And I" (Definitive Master) debuts at #63 in UK Album Charts; "Earth..." and "

That's what happens when you have no real promotion.

Re: Vauxhall And I #63 in UK Album Charts

For those who have some knowledge about the Charts : does the fact that they haven't been released physically played a role at all ? It looks to me....

Cheers Moz

Do you know if there is a vinyl release .. and if so.. does it come with an Mp3 download code ? I am a sucker for the Vinyl/Digital combo.

Who cares about charts anymore anyway? I couldn't give a toss.

Re: Article: "Vauxhall And I" (Definitive Master) debuts at #63 in UK Album Charts; "Earth..." and "

The charts are indeed chronic, but Morrissey's recent chart positions could still influence how much faith Harvest place in any kind of future promotion.

Of course, if these songs had a physical release with a couple of new b-sides then they could have made the top 20.

The YATQ era seems like very heady days now.

The YATQ era seems like very heady days now.

They feel more footy to me.

The fact that chart obsessed Morrissey signed up for this "no music video, no physical release, no B sides" debacle boggles the mind. I await his complaints about these songs not charting well.

That's what happens when you become lazy and don't put out quality music anymore. If you actually think these songs compare to anything he did with the smiths or made in the 90s then obviously you people have become fans within the last 5 years. The Morrissey of then would hate the Morrissey of now, he's become everything he use to hate. Morrissey has always been an arrogant ass, but he use to have the colossal talent and the music to back it up, when your that talented why shouldnt you be, but he isn't anymore and he's not going to be, why who knows maybe because he older doesn't have the drive, or he has a lazy crap band that doesn't make the music fit with his voice. All I know is these songs aren't great they're not even good, it has nothing to do with promotion this time around.

Lazy song writing should chart. It a sad day when this bands music is actually better then the lyrics. Morrissey needs to get back to quality song writing instead of the writing a good hook and just repeating it over a over. Morrissey must love his new work becuase the new songs have no meat to them.

You obviously haven't read Autobiography. Morrissey can't shut the f*** up about chart positions.

You make great art and the high chart positions will come.

That's what happens when you become lazy and don't put out quality music anymore. If you actually think these songs compare to anything he did with the smiths or made in the 90s then obviously you people have become fans within the last 5 years. The Morrissey of then would hate the Morrissey of now, he's become everything he use to hate. Morrissey has always been an arrogant ass, but he use to have the colossal talent and the music to back it up, when your that talented why shouldnt you be, but he isn't anymore and he's not going to be, why who knows maybe because he older doesn't have the drive, or he has a lazy crap band that doesn't make the music fit with his voice. All I know is these songs aren't great they're not even good, it has nothing to do with promotion this time around.

Sadly it doesn't seem to be the band this time. Istanbul is good musically and the guitar solo for world peace is great. It what it has been, since Quarry, lazy songwriting. Morrissey is so worried about writing a catchy chorus he forgets to write an actual song. I mean look at "bullfighter". Naming a few cities in a country is not a song. Anyone can do that. I agree that this new Morrissey is too arrogant to see that the " crashing bores" he talks about is himself.

Zzzzzzzz. Art is subjective there are no absolutes: nobody is "right" and nobody is "wrong" it's all a question of personal taste. I have been a fan since the 1980's and I find The Smiths very samey and predictable - once you've heard one or two songs, you've basically heard them all. And while Morrissey's solo career is patchy (and let's face it, whose isn't - Bowie, anyone?), I listen to his solo stuff FAR more than The Smiths. I find those people who obsess over The Smiths to be somewhat stuck in the 1980's, unable to move on and forever blaming Morrissey for the fact that human beings age and that he's not in his 20's and not connecting with their teenage selves like he did back then when they were alone in their bedrooms. If Morrissey and Marr were still trotting out that formulaic Smiths material, would they still be going? Probably not. Would The Smiths enjoy the same reputation if they had put out 30 studio albums rather than just four? Unlikely. And even if they were still going, this website would be full of people identifying the law of diminishing returns, comparing them to the Rolling Stones and lambasting the indignity and lack of imagination. So no difference there then.

Re-releases and deluxe editions rarely chart. And unless you've just won American Idol or you're under 35 and have a video featuring naked women or you have massive blanket promotional coverage (non-existent here), you don't have a shot at the charts these days. Are we really saying that chart placings are a measure of "quality"? Or that chart positions in 2014 mean the same as they did 1973? Of course not - we're just saying that few artists are wrapped up in the *nostalgia* of chart positions the way Morrissey is. To criticise him for that would be like criticising him for his stage backdrops or for all those resurrected labels (Major Minor, Harvest etc) - it's all part and parcel of the Morrissey aesthetic. And if you don't realise that, then frankly it's a wonder that you're here at all. If I were Harvest I would take the view that a spending millions on promotion just for the sake of chart positions is money down the toilet as Morrissey tends not to have casual fans: they are either die-hards or they despise him and would never buy his records on principle. Rather like this site, in fact - apart from the fact that those who come here every day to say they hate him and to publicly insist they will never buy concert tickets ever again aren't fooling anyone.

You obviously haven't read Autobiography. Morrissey can't shut the f*** up about chart positions.

You make great art and the high chart positions will come.

That`s so untrue.Look at all the awful stuff that charts these days while quality music goes virtually unnoticed.

It's likely the deal with Harvest/Capital stipulated no physical-single releases. And Morrissey, being the tight-ass he is with money, wasn't willing to put up the cash to facilitate a limited-run of CD-singles and vinyl 45s. So, what do you expect?

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that chart obsessed Morrissey signed up for this "no music video, no physical release, no B sides" debacle boggles the mind. I await his complaints about these songs not charting well.

It's likely the deal with Harvest/Capital stipulated no physical-single releases. And Morrissey, being the tight-ass he is with money, wasn't willing to put up the cash to facilitate a limited-run of CD-singles and vinyl 45s. So, what do you expect?

Before we start nay-saying, are these singles even meant to chart? I only ask as Lana Del Rey (who whatever your opinion of her is "current") is also doing a track-by-track drip release and I notice of her three available songs just one is in the Top 40. This is sitting at 35, having dropped from entering at 21 just last week.
People don't seem to be that fussed by it - to my understanding releasing a digital single is as simple as saying yes/no to allowing that. If Morrissey or Lana Del Rey's people were embarrassed and expecting more they could have halted the process at any time to save face.

Before we start nay-saying, are these singles even meant to chart? I only ask as Lana Del Rey (who whatever your opinion of her is "current") is also doing a track-by-track drip release and I notice of her three available songs just one is in the Top 40. This is sitting at 35, having dropped from entering at 21 just last week.
People don't seem to be that fussed by it - to my understanding releasing a digital single is as simple as saying yes/no to allowing that. If Morrissey or Lana Del Rey's people were embarrassed and expecting more they could have halted the process at any time to save face.

I agree.
The idea was probably to showcase songs outside the gigs as many people find new music through the internet.

someone just twitted " I can't wait to hate Morrissey's new album" . I guess that would explain a couple of comments above, which have been more or less regular sinnce 1988. Lol -

This album is shaping up nicely and some of the new songs are great. Nothing to do with quality. It's the times that are changing and it's better to get an album than nothing at all.

Zzzzzzzz. Art is subjective there are no absolutes: nobody is "right" and nobody is "wrong" it's all a question of personal taste. I have been a fan since the 1980's and I find The Smiths very samey and predictable - once you've heard one or two songs, you've basically heard them all. And while Morrissey's solo career is patchy (and let's face it, whose isn't - Bowie, anyone?), I listen to his solo stuff FAR more than The Smiths. I find those people who obsess over The Smiths to be somewhat stuck in the 1980's, unable to move on and forever blaming Morrissey for the fact that human beings age and that he's not in his 20's and not connecting with their teenage selves like he did back then when they were alone in their bedrooms. If Morrissey and Marr were still trotting out that formulaic Smiths material, would they still be going? Probably not. Would The Smiths enjoy the same reputation if they had put out 30 studio albums rather than just four? Unlikely. And even if they were still going, this website would be full of people identifying the law of diminishing returns, comparing them to the Rolling Stones and lambasting the indignity and lack of imagination. So no difference there then.

Re-releases and deluxe editions rarely chart. And unless you've just won American Idol or you're under 35 and have a video featuring naked women or you have massive blanket promotional coverage (non-existent here), you don't have a shot at the charts these days. Are we really saying that chart placings are a measure of "quality"? Or that chart positions in 2014 mean the same as they did 1973? Of course not - we're just saying that few artists are wrapped up in the *nostalgia* of chart positions the way Morrissey is. To criticise him for that would be like criticising him for his stage backdrops or for all those resurrected labels (Major Minor, Harvest etc) - it's all part and parcel of the Morrissey aesthetic. And if you don't realise that, then frankly it's a wonder that you're here at all. If I were Harvest I would take the view that a spending millions on promotion just for the sake of chart positions is money down the toilet as Morrissey tends not to have casual fans: they are either die-hards or they despise him and would never buy his records on principle. Rather like this site, in fact - apart from the fact that those who come here every day to say they hate him and to publicly insist they will never buy concert tickets ever again aren't fooling anyone.

in a simple and comprehensible way you said it. people tend to devour what they love. we keep looking for an excuse.

All I can say is that as a promotional tool it seems a bit off, when the result it yields is a bunch of headlines (if even that) saying you haven't made the charts. Seems rather counter-productive.

Then again, 'World Peace' is a shit song/record, and was unlikely to chart in any format. I like 'Istanbul' but I don't think it's a single, more of an album track.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom