Article: "Vauxhall And I" (Definitive Master) debuts at #63 in UK Album Charts; "Earth..." and "Ista

From an anonymous person:

Vauxhall And I re-issue has made it to number 63 in the UK Album Charts today.

Elsewhere 'Earth Is The Loneliest Planet' failed to make the UK Top 100 singles today and 'Istanbul' failed to make the UK Top 200 singles 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Vauxhall And I" (Definitive Master) debuts at #63 in UK Album Charts; "Earth..." and "

That's what happens when you become lazy and don't put out quality music anymore. If you actually think these songs compare to anything he did with the smiths or made in the 90s then obviously you people have become fans within the last 5 years. The Morrissey of then would hate the Morrissey of now, he's become everything he use to hate. Morrissey has always been an arrogant ass, but he use to have the colossal talent and the music to back it up, when your that talented why shouldnt you be, but he isn't anymore and he's not going to be, why who knows maybe because he older doesn't have the drive, or he has a lazy crap band that doesn't make the music fit with his voice. All I know is these songs aren't great they're not even good, it has nothing to do with promotion this time around.

Very well said. Hopefully, he will read this and take note.

Re: Article: "Vauxhall And I" (Definitive Master) debuts at #63 in UK Album Charts; "Earth..." and "

Your Arsenal is my favourite, my V & I is amazing after smoking a joint.

Yes, patchy. Not that 70's golden era, of course. But don't forget Bowie was also responsible for Tonight, Never Let Me Down, Black Tie White Noise, Earthling and Hours...some of the most derivative, dreary and forgettable rubbish that has ever been recorded.

Agree, and I would add Let's Dance to that list.:) But Hours is pretty darn good. "Something in The Air", "The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell", "Survive". Give it another try - and yes - the cover art is rubbish.

I sometimes wonder what 80s- Vauxhall Morrissey would think of present day Morrissey. I may be wrong, but the poetic, talented, slightly reclusive soul that gave us such amazing music may have been repulsed at the tanned, LA- living, designer clothes wearing, angry man who puts out alright music and acts like an all-around drama queen. I'm not saying young Moz was drama-free, but you could at least put it down to artistic temperament.

Agree, and I would add Let's Dance to that list.:) But Hours is pretty darn good. "Something in The Air", "The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell", "Survive". Give it another try - and yes - the cover art is rubbish.

Other Hours highlights include "Thursday's Child", "Seven" and "If I'm Dreaming My Life" ....

And while I couldn't bear to listen to Earthling when it came out, I played it quite recently and was surprised how good most of it sounds now.

Bowie has released some of the best and worst music of our time. I tried to get through the most recent album but I couldn't. Dreadful. At least I listen to Moz's new stuff.

What's really happening?

I kind of like the hologram effect btw

- - - Updated - - -

Bowie has released some of the best and worst music of our time. I tried to get through the most recent album but I couldn't. Dreadful. At least I listen to Moz's new stuff.

let's see how you do with this one

Last edited:

Zzzzzzzz. Art is subjective there are no absolutes: nobody is "right" and nobody is "wrong" it's all a question of personal taste. I have been a fan since the 1980's and I find The Smiths very samey and predictable - once you've heard one or two songs, you've basically heard them all. And while Morrissey's solo career is patchy (and let's face it, whose isn't - Bowie, anyone?), I listen to his solo stuff FAR more than The Smiths. I find those people who obsess over The Smiths to be somewhat stuck in the 1980's, unable to move on and forever blaming Morrissey for the fact that human beings age and that he's not in his 20's and not connecting with their teenage selves like he did back then when they were alone in their bedrooms. If Morrissey and Marr were still trotting out that formulaic Smiths material, would they still be going? Probably not. Would The Smiths enjoy the same reputation if they had put out 30 studio albums rather than just four? Unlikely. And even if they were still going, this website would be full of people identifying the law of diminishing returns, comparing them to the Rolling Stones and lambasting the indignity and lack of imagination. So no difference there then.

Re-releases and deluxe editions rarely chart. And unless you've just won American Idol or you're under 35 and have a video featuring naked women or you have massive blanket promotional coverage (non-existent here), you don't have a shot at the charts these days. Are we really saying that chart placings are a measure of "quality"? Or that chart positions in 2014 mean the same as they did 1973? Of course not - we're just saying that few artists are wrapped up in the *nostalgia* of chart positions the way Morrissey is. To criticise him for that would be like criticising him for his stage backdrops or for all those resurrected labels (Major Minor, Harvest etc) - it's all part and parcel of the Morrissey aesthetic. And if you don't realise that, then frankly it's a wonder that you're here at all. If I were Harvest I would take the view that a spending millions on promotion just for the sake of chart positions is money down the toilet as Morrissey tends not to have casual fans: they are either die-hards or they despise him and would never buy his records on principle. Rather like this site, in fact - apart from the fact that those who come here every day to say they hate him and to publicly insist they will never buy concert tickets ever again aren't fooling anyone.

You make so many valid points in this post. I adore the Smiths; I always have and always will, but part of the magic is the time that they represent and the fact that they can never be duplicated, sort of like a first love. However, I think that Morrissey's solo material has a greater emotional impact and far better vocal range. It just seems to be more personal, as if he was holding back a bit when he was working with a group. Fortnately, as you stated, most die-hard fans don't worry about his chart positions because it's clear that the music currently topping the charts seems to appeal to very specific groups: country fans, idol fans, and 12 year old girls, none of whom are likely to connect with Morrissey's music.

lynnda

Before we start nay-saying, are these singles even meant to chart? I only ask as Lana Del Rey (who whatever your opinion of her is "current") is also doing a track-by-track drip release and I notice of her three available songs just one is in the Top 40. This is sitting at 35, having dropped from entering at 21 just last week.
People don't seem to be that fussed by it - to my understanding releasing a digital single is as simple as saying yes/no to allowing that. If Morrissey or Lana Del Rey's people were embarrassed and expecting more they could have halted the process at any time to save face.

Just to go back to my Lana Del Rey example here. In the UK iTunes chart at least she has been number 1 all week, with the pre-release singles still nowhere of note. While I don't think Morrissey will hit number 1, as long as the promo continues through (ie - pull your finger out), the album could still do well.

Your Arsenal is my favourite, my V & I is amazing after smoking a joint.

I'm looking forward to doing the same.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom