Article: The Smiths in 'least sophisticated song lyrics' group according to Mirror analysis - The Mi

Re: This is surprising (Depeche / The Smiths)

wow there are so many issues with this list readability being one but itd make me to steamed to go into it in depth so why bother. i will say that depeche mode do have some good lyrics even in there early days like little 15 from music for the masses.

p.s. dylan not even in the top ten, sigh

Re: Article: The Smiths in 'least sophisticated song lyrics' group according to Mirror analysis - Th

some had good things to say and some didnt mention them at all. i dont think this thread is bout tearing down depeche mode. i mean, there period of output from music for the masses, 101, violator, faith and devotion is consider classic with both violator and faith both being labeled the same.

Re: Article: The Smiths in 'least sophisticated song lyrics' group according to Mirror analysis - Th

i will stand by and watch you pricks slag off my favourite band.

having said that, no, i don't believe their lyrics are more "sophisticated" than anyone else's, including The Smiths or Morrissey solo, but who are we to argue with SCIENCE?

and lol at people literally posting an example of one song (from thirty years ago) as conclusive proof DM are not sophisticated. well done guys x
yeah, sorry, I have other shit to do :straightface: but really my opinion(& dont get me wrong, they are one of my fave bands and the album I posted was the first I ever bought)
having said that, back in the day when I would go to clubs in L.A. I would frequently meet people that like DM, but then when I would mention The Smiths, many would dislike them, often speaking of them with homophobic disgust
obviously, there were exceptions to this, including almost all of my "club friends"
still, will never be able to separate that DM is a band with a fan base often with not only different tastes then me, but politics, iq, etc, etc :rolleyes::p

ROFLOL @ "the Mirror's data unit".

Not Smiths but bad lyrics...

You come to us for succor cos you think that we're all suckers.

Brazil and Bahrain
Oh, Egypt, Ukraine
So many people in pain

yeah, sorry, I have other shit to do :straightface: but really my opinion(& dont get me wrong, they are one of my fave bands and the album I posted was the first I ever bought)
having said that, back in the day when I would go to clubs in L.A. I would frequently meet people that like DM, but then when I would mention The Smiths, many would dislike them, often speaking of them with homophobic disgust
obviously, there were exceptions to this, including almost all of my "club friends"
still, will never be able to separate that DM is a band with a fan base often with not only different tastes then me, but politics, iq, etc, etc :rolleyes::p

your purely anecdotal evidence has convinced me robby. i now hate depeche mode. f*** 'em.

Morrissey wrote in plain spoken English. He was never pretentious. It was how he arranged those words in an emotional and poetic way that gave them their strength and depth.

I think this study was only done about the vocabulary and not the meaning. Who gives a f*** about a large vocabulary? How you think about the words said is much more important than the words used to convey what is said.

You think Ub40 and Def Leppard are more sophisticated than Morrissey? Really? f*** off!
didn't they say "pour some sugar on me?"
f***in hell...
i think the equal opportunity employment thing is getting a bit out of hand.

This is a misuse of the word "sophisticated." The greatest poets don't use the longest words, and they don't use the most words. They use the right words. The greatest poets are economical.

Morrissey uses the right words.

This is a misuse of the word "sophisticated." The greatest poets don't use the longest words, and they don't use the most words. They use the right words. The greatest poets are economical.

Morrissey uses the right words.

w. b. yeats would agree with you

"Overflowing senses, heightened awareness, I hear my blood flow, I feel its caress. Whispering cosmos talking right to me, unlimited, endless, God breathing through me."

vs.

"And when you want to live, how d'you start, where d'you go, who d'you need to know?"

Evidence, if ever it were needed, that complicated language =/= powerful language.

Well, the Mirror's data unit might be faulty.
Given the amount of musicians/writers that cite the lyrics of The Smiths as influential etc... I think I would rather believe their peers and people that came after than an algorithm.
D. Mode have a place in musical history. I've not heard their lyrics mentioned by anyone as much as The Smiths though...
Update the software,
Regards,
FWD

Why didn't New Order win?

Here comes love
It's like honey
You can buy it with money!

Since when does difficult writing equate with sophisticated writing? Texts that are difficult to read are often the result of poor construction and word choice. It has nothing to do with sophistication. What a stupid article.

I just can't get enough...I just can't get enough repeated over and over. Is that sophisticated? At least Dave could of added just can't get enough......heroin.

I love how you jokers quote 2 lyrics from Vince Clarke, who left Depeche Mode after one album.

I love how you jokers quote 2 lyrics from Vince Clarke, who left Depeche Mode after one album.

yeah i agree, thats pretty funny as an example. no one mentions personal jesus

Robbie Williams? Really?

Why didn't New Order win?

Here comes love
It's like honey
You can buy it with money!

Yeah... NO should have been tops. Love this classic:

Every second counts
When I am with you
I think you are a pig
You should be in a zoo

cool, weirdly enough im just getting into the first two new order albums and ive been really really resistant to it

Yeah.....not sophisticated

Why pamper life's complexities
When the leather runs smooth
On the passenger seat ?

Yeah.....not sophisticated

Why pamper life's complexities
When the leather runs smooth
On the passenger seat ?

still one of his best and johnny shines on that one

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom