Article: "Strangeways Here We Come" movie a surprise hit on Netflix

BookishBoy

An article in The Manc today, about the critically panned 2018 movie Strangeways Here We Come - which is now apparently doing well on Netflix in the UK.

A link to the article is here.

Relevant part of the article:

"The film was absolutely slated by The Guardian on its release, who said in a one-star review that it was an ‘awful Salford-set Shameless ripoff’.

It’s named after a The Smiths album of the same name, but the paper noted it was ‘roughly as funny as Morrissey is nowadays’ – which is not very."

Has anybody watched this? Is it as bad as the critics suggested?

Have to be honest I watched it yesterday and thought it was very poor. I was watching with my 15 year daughter and knocked it on the head at the party scene when the taxi driver informed one of the guests of what he would like to do to her.....:confused:

Have to be honest I watched it yesterday and thought it was very poor. I was watching with my 15 year daughter and knocked it on the head at the party scene when the taxi driver informed one of the guests of what he would like to do to her.....:confused:
I thought that at first then saw a post someone did and it kind of changed my mind.
The guy said its a nice tribute to not just Smiths, but that era, the 80s. So it's alike a tribute to John Hughes films and being a teenager.
He also said "its a very American take on fandom which English people won't connect to as much" So, I rewatched it and thinking of it like that it worked. Its not a brilliant film, its bubblegum. You know like M's new song Rebel, its hardly another Queen Is Dead or River Clean but its a nice little number (you have to listen by Flac though, that YouTube version is awful)

Back
Top Bottom