Article on Smiths / Morrissey in German weekly

Re: Article on smiths in german weekly

LOL! Very funny article!!! Very well written. This man could be me. Only difference: I still listen to the Pet Shop Boys! :D

Thanks for the link!

Ha ha... I'm not done reading it yet, but yes, the writer did come in too late. I found them in Jan. 88 and that was too late! But they never did get much attention in the German pop-musik media. I was a fervent Bravo reader and never saw their name once. I found out about them from a fellow American over there!

yes the "mainstreamedia" didnt write that much here...but there is and was a magazine called spex (exists since 81)without them i doubt that the likes of musikexpress would write about the smiths

they featured them early in their carrier (plus coverpics) and they had sonic youth and likes on the cover when mick jagger gets his 50th cover pic in german`s rolling stone.;-)..but even musikexpress did feature them every now and then (but not on the cover as far as i know)
i found an old mag from 87 where they hhad a lengthy article...well of course thats nothing compared toengland where our dear morrissey did get a cover almost every week in the late 80ties...:)
by the way the 25th anniversary mag of spex (feb 06)has a brilliant article on morrissey(and a nice cover too) i will translate it if i had the time..

but of course now musikexpress write about the same artists which were recently featured in spex so now you cant really divide...time they are -changing ( you can really see the difference post nirvana on themes and covers ...
and morrissey reviews in newspapers like faz, sueddeutsche- that would be interesting to know since when he gets featured there in the feuilleton

Last edited:

I was a fervent Bravo reader

Same here! I never saw Morrissey in the Bravo. But the only reason to read this mag was the "Dr. Sommer Team". :D

Spex had a cover story about Moz? And I didn't notice? I usually ignore such magazines because they all really write about the same artists. Maybe I can catch this issue on ebay.

@sistasheila: I've never seen you here before. Nice you write something!!!!

@why thank you but i post here quite often -making people laugh (probably) about my horrible english writing style *lol*
quite embarassing i was quite in good in school at english but i fail when it comes to actual speaking and posting in a forum where most of the people are native english speakers....but well whatever nevermind-i dont care what people think about me...i try to give my best...actually it could be worse...

i have a another nice link from a music mag called intro where the journalists do write about their feelinga about moz... very ebtertaining i love the grether story, well and the story of sonja(i its in german )

http://www.intro.de/magazin/musik/23014575
also a review of the quarry and this nice little wishful thinking from the writer about being a fan at a age of 6 and influenced by meat is murder and predict a riot at mac donalds #
and mugging the school shop at the age of 8 as a hommage to shoplifters...which of course wasnt true but quite entertaining to read http://www.intro.de/platten/kritiken/23031255

yes spex did encourage the smiths from the earliest beginning and did feature the smiths and morrissey as well on their covers... i will do a translation if i manage to do that from that one 2006 article

ähm bravo is not really serious jornalism- they write about bubblegumpopstars
its like smash hits are sm still exist? i dont know...

Last edited:

Wuaaaahhhh! Thanks for the links, sistasheila!!!! I had tears in my eyes because I had to laugh!!! Brilliant, just brilliant!! Excellent writing.

And I don't think your English is bad. Not at all. Look at me. I'm worse than anyone else. :D

Do you have more funny interview links for me??? Please say yes! :)

intro again here is : what would happen if mozzer did attend the eurovision contest
http://www.intro.de/news/23039096

and a great forum on this intro site(intro is a musicmag for free -very well written (covers popculture,writes mostly about "independent artists but do feature "good mainstreampop music" like articles on nelly furtado(timbaland connection-you know) and doesnt shy away talking about queer culture) very recommended mag i do prefer intro to spex because spex likes to write in a very lets say complicated way to put things......somestimes you need a dictionary to understand what the hell they are talking aboút
here is the forum of intro a very lively community where i am part of too -guess my nick...you will find out..i was in berlin and hamburg...and you? why and milli?
http://www.intro.de/forum/2/1158860234/1
in the thread there are links from revies from newspapers...i like the reviews at berliner zeitung +morgenpost a lot...and a nice podcast http://www.spreeblick.com/2006/12/18/podcast-vom-18122006/#more-4247
where the host talks about how he began to cry when he hear moz sing panic and talksabout other music that: "Because the music that they constantly play IT SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE"

type in morrissey at search and there will be a lot also

Last edited:

here is the forum of intro a very lively community where i am part of too -guess my nick...you will find out..i was in berlin and hamburg...and you? why and milli?
http://www.intro.de/forum/2/1158860234/1

Thanks for the link! Great to see this again. It made me laugh because I rediscovered my comment in which I was thanking the guy who bit a piece of Morrissey's shirt off for us (page 8). Aaaah, memories :D

also king tommy biste(bei intro) wa?

i was in berlin and hamburg...and you? why and milli?

I was in Berlin and Hamburg as well. I think Berlin was better because the audience was quite crazy (me in the front row) and Moz in a very good mood. In Hamburg the sound was better but the typical reserved audience quite shy and HE in a bad mood and a little bitchy. ("We are all professionals. We know what we are doing here.")

@mili: I come from the East as well and after 6 years in russian hell the only sentance I can remember is "What's your name?". Embarrassing. Do we have any Russians here on the board? I can't remember.

@maybe: You're on that spex-board? Incredible. Did you finally framed this piece of god himslef or is it still in your desk drawer? I'd really like to sniff on it. What was his fragrance at the time? Gucci Homme? I can't find it in the shops to try it. I guess it's quite expensive but it would be crazy to smell like him - as a woman. :D

@maybe: You're on that spex-board? Incredible. Did you finally framed this piece of god himslef or is it still in your desk drawer? I'd really like to sniff on it. What was his fragrance at the time? Gucci Homme? I can't find it in the shops to try it. I guess it's quite expensive but it would be crazy to smell like him - as a woman. :D

No, I only went there to read about the concerts and posted once because I'm a polite girl and wanted to say thank you to this guy. The shirt is still in a drawer above my TV, hidden under birthday cards and letters. At the time I was sure it was Gucci Pour Homme because just a few hours prior to the concert me and my mate were at a store sniffing it :D The smell on the scrap was really pervasive - I had a cold that day but I still could smell it. It's a great fragrance but it lingered on for days, which was remarkable as it's just a piece of a cuff [scroll down this page, there's a picture of it at the end http://community.livejournal.com/morrissey_shot/539924.html] It's not that expensive, I've been wearing Gucci perfume myself for years - but I use one of scents for women :p You can find it in any Müller Drogeriemarkt.

I was in Berlin and Hamburg as well. I think Berlin was better because the audience was quite crazy (me in the front row) and Moz in a very good mood. In Hamburg the sound was better but the typical reserved audience quite shy and HE in a bad mood and a little bitchy. ("We are all professionals. We know what we are doing here.")
@why
i agree totally berlin was heaven and the audience was absolutely into it...i posted that(that berlin was sehr sehr viel besser than hamburg) myself in the INTROFORUM NOT THE SPEX FORUM ThERE IS NO SPEX FORUM;WHY)it was the first concert that i see from him und es war unbeschreiblich ich musste zwar nicht weinen aber bei please hatte ich schon einen kloss im hals...bin ganz froh das er nicht "last night" gespielt hat das hätte mir wohl definitiv zum tränenmeer gefuehrt...ich war wahnsinnig berührt und war in einem sehr seltsamen zustand die nächsten tage ...ich kann den moment des konzertes als puren glueckzustand und zufriedenheit beschreiben die ich so noch nie in einem konzert gefuehlt habe ich erinner mich als every day is like sunday gespielt wurde das ich das gefuehl hatte ich hätte LSD genommen und schwebe ein paar centimeter ueber der erde hoert sich seltsam an aber anders kann ichs nicht beschreiben...hamburg war von mozeers seite zwar gut aber das publikum war extrem träge...ich ging schon immer lieber zu konzerten nach berlin mit konzerten in hamburg hatte ich eher schlechte erfahrungen gemacht

(im not sure if its ok to post here in gérman since its an english speakingforum but if its not okay the administrator would say something right?i saw some spanish threads so i guess its ok

un wie wars fuer dich why und die anderen hier??
und war es ebenfalls die ersten ´konzerte das ihr gesehen habt von dem herrn?
erzählt mal

Last edited:

maybe, it's unbelievable you still hide this holy piece of shirt in a drawer! Why? Because of your parents and they might think you're a stupid teenage girl? If you have your own flat one day I think there's no problem to put in on the wall, isn't it?

Oh, and we don't have Müller shops here in the north. Just Rossmann and Budni and such things. But I could take a look. I was looking at Douglas but they just have other versions of Gucci and no Homme.

sistasheila said:
(im not sure if its ok to post here in gérman since its an english speakingforum

We had a discussion about foreign languages on the board here and now where you're saying this I could ask the admin. Yes. Why not?

@ WHY!
No, it’s because I would feel like a stupid teenage fangirl. As you know I’m no teenager and I wouldn’t describe myself as a squeeing fangirl, and also, a piece of shirt on the wall would look quite silly in my opinion. Aber hergeben würde ichs trotzdem für kein Geld der Welt :D

@sistasheila
Ich glaub schon, dass es ok ist. Mal ehrlich, dieser Thread ist ja sowieso uninteressant für Leute, die kein Deutsch sprechen. [Warum hab ich dann da oben auf Englisch geschrieben? Sorry Y., aber ich bin zu faul, das zu ändern ;)]
Mann, ich beneide dich. Ich hatte nie so ein drogenähnliches Erlebnis. Ich hab ihn das erste Mal letztes Jahr in Dublin gesehen, zweimal hintereinander. Eigentlich hatte ich nur ne Karte fürs zweite Konzert, und das war schon ein Theater, die zu kriegen – man sollte halt vorher wissen, dass man zur gleichen Zeit wie Moz in der Stadt ist. Hab mir dann ca. eine Stunde vor Beginn von nem Schwarzmarkthändler ein Ticket für die Samstagsshow gekauft. Because we must. Sitzplatz. War ne gute Vorbereitung für Sonntag, weiter nichts. Das Konzert an sich war schon toll, aber die Leute um mich herum waren relativ leblos und sind nur bei Irish Blood, English Heart und How Soon Is Now aus ihrer Trance erwacht. Sonntag war ich in der ersten Reihe und hab ihn nur angestarrt und mitgesungen. Einfach nur geil. Der Typ neben mir wollte mich dauernd auf die Bühne hieven, ich wollte aber nicht, dann habe ich zwei tanzende alte Säcke ausgelacht und Moz hat mich daraufhin tadelnd angeschaut, musste aber bei dem Anblick selbst grinsen. An viel mehr kann ich mich leider nicht mehr erinnern, ich hab bei der Afterparty etwas zu tief ins Glas geschaut :o Aber eines weiß ich: der Mann macht süchtig. Ich bin ein paar Wochen später sogar zu Rock im Park in Nürnberg gegangen, hauptsächlich wegen ihm. Ich wohne ganz in der Nähe und konnte einfach nicht widerstehen. Hat sich aber auch gelohnt. Im Dezember war ich dann in München. Und jetzt habe ich Entzugserscheinungen.

Och, wenn Ihr in Deutsch schreibt, dann mach ich das auch. Nee, bin sonst eigentlich kein Mitläufer. :D

Berlin war auch mein ersten Konzert und ich hatte keine Ahnung, worauf ich mich da einlasse. Okay, ich hatte die "Who put the M in Manchester" gesehen, aber als ich dann mittendrin stand, dachte ich, ich muß sterben! Wenn tausende Leute von hinten drücken und man ist in der zweiten Reihe, dann ist das echt - einengend. Das Gute war, als die Shirt-Schmeiß-Aktion kam, war plötzlich in der ersten Reihe ein Platz frei, und das für Sekunden, naja, dann war er meiner. Wer gibt denn einen Platz in der ersten Reihe auf? Naja, das kann man machen, wenn man 5 Konzerte hat, bei denen man bei 4 in der ersten Reihe steht. Aber wer hat das? Egal, ich hab kein Shirt-Fetzen abgekriegt, aber dran schnuppern dürfen, da ein Bekannter von mir, die alte Socke, den Ärmel abgekriegt hat und er hat nichts geteilt.

Jedenfalls bevorzuge ich auch Konzerte in Berlin. Habe schon einige dort gesehen und die gleichen auch noch mal in Hamburg und es ist wirklich ein Unterschied wie Tag und Nacht. Aber wir Nordlichter sind ja eh dafür bekannt, daß wir so zurückhaltend sind. Wieso ist da überhaupt so? Zuviel Seeluft? Aber Frankfurt oder München oder irgendwas "da unten" soll noch lahmer gewesen sein.

Fazit: Berlin ist meine Konzertstadt, auch wenn mich Berlin an sich total kalt läßt.

Also ich hab gehört, dass Frankfurt am lahmsten war. München war im Vergleich zu den anderen Moz-Shows, bei denen ich war, von der Setlist und seiner Laune her die beste, vom Publikum her aber die langweiligste. Die standen ja draußen schon rum, als ob sie auf ner Beerdigung wären, während ich wie ein hyperaktives Kind in der Gegend rumgeflitzt bin - das hatte aber auch andere Gründe, die ich hier jedoch nicht näher erläutern möchte ;) Ich war fast zwei ganze Songs an dem verdammten Ärmel gehangen und war trotzdem noch in der ersten Reihe. Es war zum Brüllen, als kurz vor Beginn ein paar Leute mit einer äußerst armseligen Version des Morrissey-Football-Chants angefangen haben. Ich habs dir ja schon erzählt, aber von der Stimmung her war Nürnberg sehr gut. Alles war wegen der WM voller besoffener Amis und Briten :)

oh, hier wird ja deutsch geschrieben...

wie günstig::)
also ich war in Frankfurt, München und Berlin. In Frankfurt war ich ziemlich aufgeregt und kann mich gar nicht mehr richtig erinnern...In München war das Publikum sehr lahm, obwohl ich fand, dass Moz an diesem Abend besser drauf war. Es war eine sehr emotionale Stimmung. Eine völlig neue Erfahrung war auch ein Morrissey Konzert zu erleben bei dem man locker in der 2 Reihe stehen kann, nicht schwitzen muss und keine blauen Flecken mit nach Hause nimmt. ;)
Dafür war das Berlin Konzert in der Hinsicht das ganze Gegenteil. Die Massen waren ziemlich hysterisch. Ich war auch in der 2. Reihe und es war die Hölle aber was tut man nicht alles... Berlin war ein absolutes Top Konzert, tolle Stimmung, einfach perfekt. Nette aftershow party.

ich war wahnsinnig berührt und war in einem sehr seltsamen zustand die nächsten tage ...ich kann den moment des konzertes als puren glueckzustand und zufriedenheit beschreiben die ich so noch nie in einem konzert gefuehlt habe ich erinner mich als every day is like sunday gespielt wurde das ich das gefuehl hatte ich hätte LSD genommen
Kann ich sehr gut nachempfinden,ging mir ganz genau so. Ich hatte auch mehrere Tage noch diesen Schwebezustand. Ich bin lange schon kein Teenager mehr und trotzdem muß ich zugeben,dass es mich immer wieder aufs Neue berührt.

Das letzte Jahr war für mich in Sachen Morrissey ein wirkliches highlight, was ich so schnell nicht vergessen werde.. Im Mai durfte ich ihn 2x schon in England sehen (London Palladium und in Kings Lynn). In Kings Lynn habe ich dann auch noch meine erste "Morrissey -Trophäe" abgefasst. Einen in "Gucci pour Homme" gebadeten Ärmel seinen braunen Hemdes. sniff sniff...
Mittlerweile ist er eingerahmt unter Glas...

@mili: I come from the East as well and after 6 years in russian hell the only sentance I can remember is "What's your name?". Embarrassing. Do we have any Russians here on the board? I can't remember.
@WHY!
krieg auch kaum noch drei Sätze zusammen, wenn man bedenkt diese jahrelange Plagerei ...
Schön, noch ein paar (wenn auch ehemalige) "Ossis" hier zu finden, ;) woher kommst du denn ursprünglich ? Ich bin aus Halle/S.

Tags
german germany
Back
Top Bottom