article on 'November Spawned a Monster'

snowfallsoon

motherf***er approved
http://thevinylvillain.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-im-in-lovewith-morrissey-part-25.html

"Released in April 1990, November Spawned A Monster shocked an awful lot of people with its candid lyrics about disability. Some weren't sure if Morrissey was mocking the wheelchair-bound or whether he was championing their cause. It was a song I found really disturbing on its release, and even all these years later, it still makes me uncomfortable. But then again, I've no doubt that was the great man's point....

It's a tune which is one of the most unusual across the solo material...it's almost driven along by a dance-beat akin to Barbarism Begins At Home....and again given the subject matter, it can interpreted as a bit of a sick joke. But just as the tune is bouncing along, and the dancers are in the midst of throwing the Morrissey shapes, it slows right down and Mary Margaret O'Hara comes in and starts screaming....

I read many years ago at the time of its release that she was asked to go to the studio and make noises as if she was having a painful and difficult birth. Given this, the lyric does begin to make some literal sense....the child in question was not planned, and to complicate matters for the mad mad lovers who failed to pause and draw the line, nine months later they have a daughter whose physical appearance and dependencies make it so difficult for them to love her....but who think everything will be fine if there is some sort of miraculous recovery.....

So....maybe the song isn't really about disability and its actually a cautionary tale to those who were prepared to sleep around without thinking of the consequences....

Other people have got their own theories. I read once on a forum one fan's view that the song is a parallel to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - a monster created in November but who was unloved by its 'parent'. The monster then had to endure a life of misery and loneliness (a regular theme in many Morrissey songs), and this is going to be the fate of the girl in the song. The fan goes as far to comment that Morrissey is making a really strong statement here that society judges people on their looks alone....

Someone else makes reference to the accompanying video which they feel mocks so many others of its time, with Morrissey wriggling around in the desert making himself look ludicrous to emphasise the point that image and beauty isn't everything...

Your own thoughts dear readers????
"

My favourite Morrissey track, and the first solo track I fell in love with.
That opening guitar riff, Marr could've been proud of.

I almost wet myself when I first saw it performed live.

The only thing I'm not comfortable with, is the video, I feel the same when I see Certain People I Know. Whilst I admire Moz, and would like his hair style and fashion sense etc, I don't want to cavort with him you see!

The lyric is so powerful. Not intended as a mocking of the disabled, fairly clear that Moz is championing the cause. Its ruthless in its cynacism and its lambasting of the treatment of the 'lesser' members of our society(pattern for Moz over the years)

Can't speak highly enough about this track, awesome.

The lyric is so powerful. Not intended as a mocking of the disabled, fairly clear that Moz is championing the cause. Its ruthless in its cynacism and its lambasting of the treatment of the 'lesser' members of our society(pattern for Moz over the years)

Can't speak highly enough about this track, awesome.

You're very right about that lyric, that song is truly a gem. :thumb:
just to add a little to your thoughts.. the line where the child makes his claim to Jesus is superb!!, I love it when in The Earls Court Morrissey changes to the liberating "Yes!! I am a Freak!!" that is exactly what the original line is claiming in secret, je pense :cool:

It's about this. The girl has to get her horses going in the same direction and when she does she's mastered her situation. I could go into it more but just realize she walks in the end.

rws-07-chariot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom