Article: "NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article" - NME.com; libel c

UPDATE 11:00 AM PT:

Link posted by joe frady (original post) with additional info:

NME apologises to singer Morrissey over article - BBC News

The NME has publicly apologised to singer Morrissey over an article it published in 2007, which, the singer claimed, suggested he was racist.

Excerpt:

An NME spokeswoman said the magazine was "pleased it has buried the hatchet" with the singer.

She added the matter of the libel case was now closed and that the settlement did not involve payment of any damages or legal costs.

The case had been due to go to trial next month after Morrissey won a pre-trial hearing against former NME editor Conor McNicholas and IPC at the High Court last October.

George M sends the link:

NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article - NME.com
NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article

In December 2007, we published an article entitled 'Morrissey: Big mouth strikes again'.

Following this, Morrissey began proceedings for libel against us. His complaint is that we accused him of being a racist off the back of an interview which he gave to the magazine. He believes the article was edited in such a way that made him seem reactionary.

We wish to make clear that we do not believe that he is a racist; we didn’t think we were saying he was and we apologise to Morrissey if he or anyone else misunderstood our piece in that way. We never set out to upset Morrissey and we hope we can both get back to doing what we do best.

UPDATE 11:00PM PT:

Scan of NME print edition, page 11 posted by Iona Mink:

nmeapology.jpg

Related item:

Last edited:
Re: Article: "NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article"

Claim Victory in part of the field Morrissey. Let by-gones be be-gones and only live interviews from now on maybe a kind reminder to the manipulative tactics these people delve to. No depth is low enough to satiate their desire to misuse the power of the press for evil intent. In this case, defamation of character. Yes, Moz, there really are,"some bad people on the rise", but not this time! Congrats Morrissey!!

Re: Article: "NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article"

I'm of mixed feelings over this 'apology'. On one hand, it attempts to deflect just how serious the attempted character assassination was on Morrissey; the NME under McNichol was out for blood and headlines and scored both with that 'interview'. By characterising it as a 'mis-understanding' they're effectively absolving themselves of blame - it's the equivalent of a teenage "Well, i'm sorry if you're offended but I didn't mean it" sulk. I really can't see Morrissey accepting this as good enough, even if it does make it to the print version.

However, Morrissey has proven to be his own worst enemy many a time before and I don't believe that pursuing this in court will do him any favours. His wit and evasiveness, while sparkling in interviews, is not suitable for the High Court, as *the* court case showed. I fear he would only invite more trouble for himself if he pursuses it further. I hope he acknowledges his victory over the eNeME, dissmissies their apology as pathetic but stops action against them. Moz, please, take the easy way and give in.
Barring some immense apology, in writing, yet to be published - I would have to read this as Morrissey's case was not that good and his lawyers did not feel they could win in court.

If I understand the complaint, Morrissey was suing for *financial* damages to his brand, marketability, and name.

For the NME to release a statement online, it just seems like a really weak deal was cut. A "misunderstanding?!" I just don't see this as a net win for Morrissey.

Exactly where does he go to get his good name back?

Give him the cover of NME, write a detailed apology of what a hatchet job you did on the interview, retract the racist accusation and then *maybe* everything is square.

Here is the print apology.

nmeapology.jpg

page 11.

Remind us NME, what is it you do best again?

Last edited:

Here is the print apology.

nmeapology.jpg

page 11.

Remind us NME, what is it you do best again?

They sound like assholes. This isn't an apology.

Maybe I'm confusing the diference between an apology and admitting they tarnished his name, I suppose there is a difference and they technically met the obligations to apologize, though this reeks of "Teacher, we didn't do it, THEY did it." THey're being brats. f*** 'em. The commentary pieces on slander from other magazines will be more effective to raising awareness of bad vs. good journalism than this shit.

Last edited:
The NME insinuate he is a racist and in their apology they make Morrissey seem reactionary, petulant, and (this is the best part) if you missed the story the first time one can now read about racism and Morrissey in the same sentance.

I'm not a lawyer, but this is a f***ing disaster. They couldn't have pressed for a stronger retraction?!

The NME insinuate he is a racist and in their apology they make Morrissey seem reactionary, petulant, and (this is the best part) if you missed the story the first time one can now read about racism and Morrissey in the same sentance.

I'm not a lawyer, but this is a f***ing disaster. They couldn't have pressed for a stronger retraction?!

I know. Wouldn't one of his lawyers had to have okay'd the copy before it went to print? :squiffy:

somehow see this crap in print again makes it all the worse :straightface:
I really wanted him to make them go out of business...

I would have thought the NME would have made some charitable donation to a cause close to Mozzer's heart. And then I remembered they probably have no money at all.

A victory of sorts, I'm sure the autoboigraphy will set the record "straight"

But what's this?... to celebrate the 60th birthday of the 'NME' in next week's issue they'll have new interviews with, amongst others, "The Smiths"!
Great! That'll be Joyce or Johnny then. Can't wait.

People, people. All so opinionated, demanding blood etc. Why not wait for Morrissey to say something. It was his reputation, his case, his decision to take action. If he is happy with the outcome then surely it doesn't matter what we think should have happened.

Basically, none of our business.

Now that the NME have apologized, perhaps David will follow suit, you never know, his ban might even be lifted.
Diana Draws

I know. Wouldn't one of his lawyers had to have okay'd the copy before it went to print? :squiffy:

Of course they would. The fact that this was the best that Morrissey's lawyers could wring out of the NME should tell you as much as you need to know about whether Morrissey was likely to win in court.

They sound like assholes. This isn't an apology.

You're right, it isn't an apology (at least, it isn't the apology demanded), and yet Morrissey - on the advice of his legal counsel - has accepted it (without having received a single penny in damages). Why do you think that is?

Definitely not a clear win for Morrissey. It merely offers to clarify the meaning of what was printed, it does not retract any of it. And there was plenty there that was extremely damaging and insulting, whether the NME really meant he was a racist or not. Besides, the clarification doesn't seem very plausible. In fact, if you try to read the piece from the angle that the NME is definitely not intending to imply that Morrissey is a racist, the text becomes a bit absurd. If they're not arguing that Morrissey is racist, what are they arguing? If they did not find his statements so shocking because they thought that was what he meant, what worried them, exactly?

The smell you get from this is that neither side had a really foolproof case, and preferred to avoid the showdown without really doing the climbdown.

Presumably, then, this apology will also appear in the print edition of the NME tomorrow.

Just imagine the size of Morrissey's legal bill for all this.... must be enormous.

I doubt it. This weeks NME will have been at the printers Sunday or Monday

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom