Article: "Morrissey granted the Keys to the City by the mayor of Tel-Aviv; ticket sales information"

Re: Tel Aviv out-sold Springsteen and Madonna - TTY

People pack stadiums for Bieber and Gaga, too. And that's here. Ticket sales are not the whole story.

I'll be impressed when the 2012 Morrissey outsells Springsteen and Madonna in America (has he ever?)

What happens in Israel isn't relevant to his overall marketability, which is still Western in focus.

I like how after a 4 day span they felt the need to remind everyone he is without a record contract.

Sadly, I was actually somewhat enjoying the show until his ridiculous "now that I have the key, there's gonna be some changes" bit.

Christ almighty. Broken f***ing record anymore...

That's never stopped you before...

That is very true......But I also don't want to have to explain that I'm joking in a Facebook message tonight, either.

I entered nothing and nothing entered me til you came with the key...

Morrissey granted the Keys to the City by the mayor of Tel-Aviv; ticket sales information - true-to-you.net
22 July 2012

On July 21st in Israel Morrissey was granted the Keys to the City by the mayor of Tel-Aviv. This is a very rare accolade and Morrissey told Israeli television reporters that he is "delighted to be honored and recognized," and he vowed to always do his best for the city of Tel-Aviv. It is the very first of such honors that Morrissey has received.

Morrissey played to a sold-out crowd of more than 5,000 that evening at Bitan 1.

In terms of ticket sales Morrissey's current tour of Europe and Asia has proven to be the most successful of his entire career.

The final ticket count for Morrissey's show at Bitan 1, at 5,900, out-sold recent shows by both Bruce Springsteen and Madonna. Promoters for Bitan 1 say that the Morrissey show was the fastest selling Tel-Aviv concert of this year so far. Morrissey remains without a recording contract.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "Morrissey granted the Keys to the City by the mayor of Tel-Aviv; ticket

Another shameless ploy to get a recording contract.

Has it ever occurred to Morrissey, that if he produces a good, solid record with hits--and not material that his loyalists only seem to enjoy--he will be with contract and promotion? And true to you won't have to point out how incredible it is to out sell Madonna and Bruce... In tel aviv... In Israel... At 5,000 seats or so. Soon, morrissey being able to sell out house of blues venues with little promotion and no record contract will be ground breaking.

I agree with Fan, but add I hope gets one.

Why does Morrissey refuse to even attend award shows, then accepts a meaningless key to the city from Tel-Aviv. Surely, it only means something real if the recipient has spent a long time in the place, or done something for the city? Really, only Manchester should grant this award.

true-to-you or the promoter have their information wrong. Madonna did not perform at Bitan 1. Just looks like another stab of jealousy from the Morrissey camp.

Morrissey has become a 'heritage act' like Paul MCartney, the Who, Duran Duran, the Cure etc. He can attract a pretty large live audience but only 5% of them are interested in anything he's done since the 80s (with the exception of IBEH and FOTG).
If Morrissey wonders why he hasn't got a deal, all he needs to do is compare the audience reaction after singing There is a light, Every day is like Sunday, I know it's over, with the reaction after People are the same everywhere. He can potentially rescue his status from heritage act level but only with a cracking set of new songs.

Something is a bit off with the figures quoted in the TTY statement. I hate to knit pick, but, really...

(Madonna's) tour began in Israel on May 31 with a crowd of 33,457 in attendance for the first performance. The inaugural concert was held at Israel's largest football venue, Ramat Gan Stadium in Tel Aviv with revenue topping $4.3 million (US$).

I think 33,000 is slightly more than 5000.

http://www.billboard.com/events/rog...a-lady-gaga-cirque-du-soleil-1007586552.story
http://www.shalomlife.com/culture/17301/madonna-thrills-over-30000-fans-in-israel/

Also, Bruce Springsteen has never performed in Israel (as of yet). Promoters were discussing something last fall for this June (at the same stadium Madonna performed at), but the plans fell through.
http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/why-jews-should-love-bruce-springsteen/

:confused:

It's hard to think that his PR people could post such inaccurate statements. I mean, five minutes of Internet research could tell you this stuff. It seems it could be a bit embarrassing for Morrissey if it's not corrected by the TTY peeps and it were to get out into the regular press.
I understand that he is proud of how his show is selling, but come on...

Or maybe I'm just missing something behind the scenes?

Last edited:
Re: Article: "Morrissey granted the Keys to the City by the mayor of Tel-Aviv; ticket

Another shameless ploy to get a recording contract.
1st comment & yes,this is exactly what morrissey solo is all about,seriously,all genuine morrissey fans should leave morrissey solo to it: just waiting to stick the knife in. I hope he gets a deal as soon as possible,to shut up all the haters & backbiters on here. (even though he probably wont) as ive said:sad.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom