Article: "Morrissey granted the Keys to the City by the mayor of Tel-Aviv; ticket sales information"

Re: Tel Aviv out-sold Springsteen and Madonna - TTY

People pack stadiums for Bieber and Gaga, too. And that's here. Ticket sales are not the whole story.

I'll be impressed when the 2012 Morrissey outsells Springsteen and Madonna in America (has he ever?)

What happens in Israel isn't relevant to his overall marketability, which is still Western in focus.

Something is a bit off with the figures quoted in the TTY statement. I hate to knit pick, but, really...

I think 33,000 is slightly more than 5000.

http://laremix.com/music-review/hot-tours-madonna-lady-gaga-cirque-du-soleils-michael-jackson-tour/
http://www.shalomlife.com/culture/17301/madonna-thrills-over-30000-fans-in-israel/

Also, Bruce Springsteen has never performed in Israel (as of yet). Promoters were discussing something last fall for this June (at the same stadium Madonna performed at), but the plans fell through.
http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/why-jews-should-love-bruce-springsteen/

:confused:

It's hard to think that his PR people could post such inaccurate statements. I mean, five minutes of Internet research could tell you this stuff. It seems it could be a bit embarrassing for Morrissey if it's not corrected by the TTY peeps and it were to get out into the regular press.
I understand that he is proud of how his show is selling, but come on...

Or maybe I'm just missing something behind the scenes?

Morrissey thanks you for ruining his attempt at impressing record labels. :p

I missed this thread posted by MORRIZSEY yesterday so it was created separately instead of being promoted to the main page as an article. The two threads have now been merged.

Last edited:
Re: Article: "Morrissey granted the Keys to the City by the mayor of Tel-Aviv; ticket

1st comment & yes,this is exactly what morrissey solo is all about,seriously,all genuine morrissey fans should leave morrissey solo to it: just waiting to stick the knife in. I hope he gets a deal as soon as possible,to shut up all the haters & backbiters on here. (even though he probably wont) as ive said:sad.

Okay, so here is the deal. Not to say that the following makes me an expert on Morrissey or anything, but I feel like it gives me some freedom to comment and to make observations about his career, as at one time I was a rather devoted fan.

I am almost forty-five, and the first "new wave" song that I ever heard was "How Soon is Now?" This song was on a tape that included other bands including The Cure, New Order, and other standards. However, Morrissey's voice and lyrics stuck with me, and I was hooked. I became a follower--a disciple--for many years, having traveled to many different states to see him. I purchased his releases on vinyl and on CD, and everyone who knew me was aware of this.

Flash forward to now, where Morrissey and I are now.

His recent releases have been anything but good; a decent song here or there, but nothing that compares to the older material--no way. What bothers me the most is that he allows (or is part of) such garbage as what goes on at another site. When did it stop becoming about the music? When did the music get replaced by drag queen guitarists and half-dressed band members? Sure, they used to wear the same shirts, but that is not extreme. The constant bashing of this site and anyone who is critical of him is ridiculous. Morrissey is losing/has lost his credibility as a relevant artist, and if he desires to be taken seriously by the big record companies, he needs to get back to his roots--eliminate or have the garbage site closed and become creative again. If he is signed by a record company, it is most likely a small one with minimal/limited funds.

I am done--I am not looking for bashing, just some dialogue. I expect many to disagree, but I needed to air my feelings.

Cheers!

Re: Article: "Morrissey granted the Keys to the City by the mayor of Tel-Aviv; ticket

Okay, so here is the deal. Not to say that the following makes me an expert on Morrissey or anything, but I feel like it gives me some freedom to comment and to make observations about his career, as at one time I was a rather devoted fan.

I am almost forty-five, and the first "new wave" song that I ever heard was "How Soon is Now?" This song was on a tape that included other bands including The Cure, New Order, and other standards. However, Morrissey's voice and lyrics stuck with me, and I was hooked. I became a follower--a disciple--for many years, having traveled to many different states to see him. I purchased his releases on vinyl and on CD, and everyone who knew me was aware of this.

His recent releases have been anything but good; a decent song here or there, but nothing that compares to the older material--no way. What bothers me the most is that he allows (or is part of) such garbage as what goes on at another site. When did it stop becoming about the music? When did the music get replaced by drag queen guitarists and half-dressed band members? Sure, they used to wear the same shirts, but that is not extreme. The constant bashing of this site and anyone who is critical of him is ridiculous. Morrissey is losing/has lost his credibility as a relevant artist, and if he desires to be taken seriously by the big record companies, he needs to get back to his roots--eliminate or have the garbage site closed and become creative again. If he is signed by a record company, it is most likely a small one with minimal/limited funds.

I am done--I am not looking for bashing, just some dialogue. I expect many to disagree, but I needed to air my feelings.

Cheers!
But how do you know its a ploy,a shameless 1 at that,to air getting the keys to city? How do you know morrissey deliberately aired this personally on TTY? its just pure bad conjucture on your behalf.Think about what your saying..Morrissey: Yes,il show myself recieving keys to the city from a mayor...so as to get a record deal..i don't think so.

Cheers!
i understand some of what your saying..,but when you say eliminate,eliminate who? boz,his most loyal musician before johnny marr or alain whyte,or also a 6yr bandmember,jesse tobias...or eliminate the fact that he doesn't need to perform for money or the last 8yrs touring his ass off & working. Morrissey is human like anybody else so he cant please 100% of the time. Y O R & ROTT from a couple of yrs back,were decent albums & after 30+ years he's entitled to play the way he wishes to please his fans. Im 43 myself & i first heard WDDIM in a dance called the oasis,back in 1983.Here on morrisseysolo im just a casual observer,but each time i load this site,im met with threads full of people that really have come to abhor everything morrissey does or says. I know not everybody feels this way,but morrisseysolo has become a website against him,even though he shouldn't have commented lately on morrisseysolo,he wouldn't be morrissey if he didn't. He is doing well considering his ups & downs over the past few decades imo.

Cheers!

You framed your question as someone who has been a fan for, what, 25 years? Why would you expect him to be releasing songs as good as his older solo stuff or The Smiths? Which precedent is there, in the history of rock/pop music, that gives you reason to think he should still be putting out songs as good as, or even close to as good as, "How Soon Is Now"?

Not trying to bash your post, which is totally fine and respectable, I'm just curious about your expectations so I can get a better idea of why you're so disappointed.

not many fanbases last as long as morrisseys. Its the old story,he's lasted long enough to become the villain,any fan of 25+ yrs who all of a sudden reckon he no longer matters,was never a genuine fan to start with...these so-called fans want to see him be publicly scorned now or retire because they know better(yeah right),at least we know who we are...at this stage. People like uncleskinny who starts slagging then when called on it reckons its ok to slag him but not morrissey??even though he instigated the situation..or telling op's they have restraint even if the PERSON who said f*** morrisseysolo had not...who does this guy think he is? Anybody has a right to retort if their name is being mudded,& degrading comments being printed every few minutes on a website, for the whole world to see...to right to hit back.

Cheers!

I could have written that!!!!
I'm in the same age bracket and feel exactly the same way.

Bruce was never here.Madonna performed sold-out at the Ramat-Gan stadium which is 50,000 seats,not the 6000 of Bitan 1.

Truth should be made.

It was always Madonna's first show - opening her world tour, and at least 5,000 fans came from abroad, but Madonna also caters to 10 year-olds, so there really is no comparison.

It was always Madonna's first show - opening her world tour, and at least 5,000 fans came from abroad, but Madonna also caters to 10 year-olds, so there really is no comparison.

Madonna caters to 10 year-olds? Since when?

You framed your question as someone who has been a fan for, what, 25 years? Why would you expect him to be releasing songs as good as his older solo stuff or The Smiths? Which precedent is there, in the history of rock/pop music, that gives you reason to think he should still be putting out songs as good as, or even close to as good as, "How Soon Is Now"?

Not trying to bash your post, which is totally fine and respectable, I'm just curious about your expectations so I can get a better idea of why you're so disappointed.

Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, The Cure, Neil Young, Tom Waits, and Lou Reed have all put out albums or songs as good or better than their "hits" or "best known songs" at least 20 years after the fact. When it comes down to it, you have to have some quality control...Morrissey lost his a long time ago.

It doesn't say that he was awarded the for selling out the stadium. Perhaps the honour could be because of the great music he has made, something that Bieber and Gaga know nothing about. Let's face it, those artists are just commercial sell-outs who became singers for the celebrity lifestyle and glamour, rather than because they want to make real art with their music.

I know kids are supposed to grow up fast, these days. But that is a little worrying.

what do you think is her target audience? and is it the same audience as Morrissey's?

Cheers!

I respect your opinion, but it is a matter of taste concerning whether Morrissey's newest records are any good. I personally think that they are all strong records, save for a couple of duds on Years of Refusal and Ringleader of The Tormentors, but again, it is a matter of taste. The whole dressing up the band, most particularly, Boz in the dress might well have been Morrissey's idea, but you don't know that. Boz has a mind of his own and can easily say yes or no to wearing it; it is called free will. And I think Morrissey has a right to bash this site because people here aren't critical, they are insulting, and there is a fine line between them. It is okay to say that you don't like a song or something Morrissey said from a criticle angle, but most people on here are spiteful and vindictive, and if I was in Morrissey's shoes and I read some of the disgusting comments on this, site, I think I'd be riled too, and rightly so and all. However, I do agree with you that Morrissey does need to move in a new direction if he wishes to regain his credibility as a relavent artist; but Morrissey will do as he pleases, which is how it should be. An artist shouldn't make art based on the expectations of others, but on what they want, regardless of what anybody thinks and I believe that that is what Morrissey has always done and is the reason I respect him and others like him as true artists.

Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, The Cure, Neil Young, Tom Waits, and Lou Reed have all put out albums or songs as good or better than their "hits" or "best known songs" at least 20 years after the fact. When it comes down to it, you have to have some quality control...Morrissey lost his a long time ago.

Well, IMO, none of those artists actually put out records on par with the music that made them legends in the first place. I'm sure they put out good stuff (I know Dylan and Waits have, for sure), just not on the level of their earlier material.

And you've made a list of 8 artists out of hundreds of "classic" bands, which kind of gets to the heart of what I was saying. There are precedents for artists producing good music in their twilight/post-GH years, but usually that's not the case at all, and in fact history shows that it's strikingly uncommon. Criticism of Morrissey's recent output should be grounded in realism. Maybe a lot of the recent songs suck-- that's for each of us to decide-- but I don't think it's fair to knock him for failing to live up to his glory years. Nobody else does.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom