Article: "Morrissey: Fandom, Representations and Identities" - Limerick event/panel discussion (Sep.

Uncleskinny sends the news and press release:

New Morrissey Book + Limerick Event - Hot Press

The University of Limerick is to host a major event dedicated to Morrissey on September 16.

Along with a performance by the Mozza-endorsed These Charming Men, there will be a panel discussion and the offical unveling of Morrissey: Fandom, Representations and Identities, a collection of 18 essays on his contribution to popular culture.

Edited by UL Senior Lecturer in Sociology Eoin Devereux, Aileen Dilane and Martin Power, it can be ordered from intellectbooks.com for £25.95 or $50.

"Known for his outspoken and often controversial views on class, ethnicity and sexuality, Morrissey has remained an anti-establishment figure who continues to provoke argument, debate and devotion among critics and his many fans," reads the promo blurb. "Working across a range of academic disciplines and approaches, these essays seek to make sense of the many complexities of this global icon."

Morrissey: Fandom, Representations and Identities press release (.doc 1.0 MB)

sgtvzk.jpg

Related forum thread:
New book: MORRISSEY: Fandom, Representations & Identities

Last edited:
Re: Article: "Morrissey: Fandom, Representations and Identities" - Limerick event/pan

As a fan who has been around since the mid-late 90s on this website (more as an observer in recent years), I wanted to post a message of good will to the inimitable Morrissey and his band. Despite all the vicious attacks on Morrissey's character and on the talent of his band, I am looking forward with relish to seeing him live in London next month, and to his next album, assuming he gets a deal and gets it out where it belongs - on the record store shelves.

I too had doubts about Jesse - and expressed them stridently around the time Ringleader was released - but 'Years of Refusal' was a striking record and blew any doubts out of the water. The finest songs on YOR rank for me alongside Morrissey's finest work, up there with The Queen is dead, The Smiths, Strangeways, Viva Hate, Vauxhall and Quarry. 'Something is Squeezing my Skull' is his most potent album-opener since TQID and served as bootlaces to the lips of those who dared question his ability to pack a punch thirty years on. 'Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed' is arguably my favourite solo song since the 1980s. It took a little while for Jesse to settle in but I do think he's proven himself to be a fine musician on YOR. YOR is the morrissey record I reach for most often two years on. It's that good.

That Morrissey is still able to do it at age 52 is a miracle; that he is able to do it with such style and eloquence - and a ferocity of spirit that belies his years - is all the more remarkable. Someone who has been - and remains - so great is beyond criticism as far as I'm concerned. I hope he continues for as long as he is able and that he continues to attack this spineless, vacuous, mechanical society we've created.

The great thing about Morrissey is that he never grows up - he remains what he has always been: an outsider, an extremely articulate pre-adult, grappling with the questions most of us simply put on the backburner and learn to forget about. The transformation into adulthood - for most of us - is a trick of the light, an illusion. Morrissey will not forget, will not acquiesce, will not simply roll over and play submissive to the powers that be. And thank God for that.

I have watched recent events unfold with interest and a raised eyebrow. The falling out between Morrissey and this website is obviously terminal and I do feel it's up to Morrissey whom he wishes to sing to. Why should he have to sing to David Tseng if he wishes not to? Having said that, David is, as a few of you have observed, out of pocket and it wouldn't hurt for someone to compensate David. I can see both sides.

My loyalty is to Morrissey, not to David Tseng. Let's get behind our hero and wish him well as he trails a blaze in his fourth decade in popular music. Is there another artist with his legacy? No. Morrissey single-handedly created indie music, influenced almost every band presently doing thr rounds, helped re-invent guitar music (along with Marr and the Roses), has influenced and changed pop culture in ways that even now we struggle to grasp, and has thrilled fans over three decades with great songs. The four classic Smiths albums alone would guarantee his place forever in our hearts. That's a record few bands except perhaps the Beatles, Stones and Bowie can match. but when you hurl in his magnificent solo work, his legacy is more or less peerless.

A lot of the people who frequent this site are haters; some are adolescents; many more are bitter and hankering after 'the good old days.'

Morrissey is not going back to a bedsit in Daveyhulme. He's not going back to Johnny Marr. Morrissey remains the one authentic voice in popular music with the capacity to shred my heart, make me laugh and cry in the same song. Nobody else can do this.

In summary, I shall return to my dignified silence on this site, I'll continue looking for news here, and I'll continue watching morrissey live with the same love I have always felt for an artist i adore. Yes, I hope david receives a refund for the Copehagen fiasco, but I feel it's Morrissey's right to ban him if this is what he wants.

You don't get psychobabble, 2.4 children and perspiration with Morrissey: he's a true artist, and different rules apply. If you don't understand this, then perhaps the past 15 albums+ have gone straight over your head.

Ernest Hemmingway, Oscar Wilde, Vincent Van Gough, George Orwell, Mozart - none of these people were Mr Average; none of them were necessarily people you would want as nextdoor neighbours; but they changed their art forever - they inspired themselves, they dreamed, they created and they left their footprints in our spirits. Morrissey is in that company. His personal qualities are similarly unimportant to me.

Morrissey, I look forward to seeing you in London and I hope you realise this site does not speak for all or indeed many of us. This site is a joke. You are real.

Ever your fan,

broken

Wait a minute. I think I saw that picture of you with "hot" and "cum" on your face. Hahaha!

Re: Article: "Morrissey: Fandom, Representations and Identities" - Limerick event/pan

Wait a minute. I think I saw that picture of you with "hot" and "cum" on your face. Hahaha!

Learn your morrissey-solo history. This broken fellow is probably the most famous so-lower of all. Used to post the best concert reviews, reputedly hung around with morrissey backstage for a short period in 2004 around the time morrissey put the thank you note to this website in his quarry sleevenotes, and he was freeyourself's number one enemy. That is not paul. He hates paul far more than you do! Just ask paul! Broken got paul put in a police cell for a few nights in 2006!

Learn your morrissey-solo history. This broken fellow is probably the most famous so-lower of all. Used to post the best concert reviews, reputedly hung around with morrissey backstage for a short period in 2004 around the time morrissey put the thank you note to this website in his quarry sleevenotes, and he was freeyourself's number one enemy. That is not paul. He hates paul far more than you do! Just ask paul! Broken got paul put in a police cell for a few nights in 2006!

If Mike Joyce gave Broken a karate chop, it'd really hurt him.

As a fan who has been around since the mid-late 90s on this website (more as an observer in recent years), I wanted to post a message of good will to the inimitable Morrissey and his band. Despite all the vicious attacks on Morrissey's character and on the talent of his band, I am looking forward with relish to seeing him live in London next month, and to his next album, assuming he gets a deal and gets it out where it belongs - on the record store shelves.

I too had doubts about Jesse - and expressed them stridently around the time Ringleader was released - but 'Years of Refusal' was a striking record and blew any doubts out of the water. The finest songs on YOR rank for me alongside Morrissey's finest work, up there with The Queen is dead, The Smiths, Strangeways, Viva Hate, Vauxhall and Quarry. 'Something is Squeezing my Skull' is his most potent album-opener since TQID and served as bootlaces to the lips of those who dared question his ability to pack a punch thirty years on. 'Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed' is arguably my favourite solo song since the 1980s. It took a little while for Jesse to settle in but I do think he's proven himself to be a fine musician on YOR. YOR is the morrissey record I reach for most often two years on. It's that good.

That Morrissey is still able to do it at age 52 is a miracle; that he is able to do it with such style and eloquence - and a ferocity of spirit that belies his years - is all the more remarkable. Someone who has been - and remains - so great is beyond criticism as far as I'm concerned. I hope he continues for as long as he is able and that he continues to attack this spineless, vacuous, mechanical society we've created.

The great thing about Morrissey is that he never grows up - he remains what he has always been: an outsider, an extremely articulate pre-adult, grappling with the questions most of us simply put on the backburner and learn to forget about. The transformation into adulthood - for most of us - is a trick of the light, an illusion. Morrissey will not forget, will not acquiesce, will not simply roll over and play submissive to the powers that be. And thank God for that.

I have watched recent events unfold with interest and a raised eyebrow. The falling out between Morrissey and this website is obviously terminal and I do feel it's up to Morrissey whom he wishes to sing to. Why should he have to sing to David Tseng if he wishes not to? Having said that, David is, as a few of you have observed, out of pocket and it wouldn't hurt for someone to compensate David. I can see both sides.

My loyalty is to Morrissey, not to David Tseng. Let's get behind our hero and wish him well as he trails a blaze in his fourth decade in popular music. Is there another artist with his legacy? No. Morrissey single-handedly created indie music, influenced almost every band presently doing thr rounds, helped re-invent guitar music (along with Marr and the Roses), has influenced and changed pop culture in ways that even now we struggle to grasp, and has thrilled fans over three decades with great songs. The four classic Smiths albums alone would guarantee his place forever in our hearts. That's a record few bands except perhaps the Beatles, Stones and Bowie can match. but when you hurl in his magnificent solo work, his legacy is more or less peerless.

A lot of the people who frequent this site are haters; some are adolescents; many more are bitter and hankering after 'the good old days.'

Morrissey is not going back to a bedsit in Daveyhulme. He's not going back to Johnny Marr. Morrissey remains the one authentic voice in popular music with the capacity to shred my heart, make me laugh and cry in the same song. Nobody else can do this.

In summary, I shall return to my dignified silence on this site, I'll continue looking for news here, and I'll continue watching morrissey live with the same love I have always felt for an artist i adore. Yes, I hope david receives a refund for the Copehagen fiasco, but I feel it's Morrissey's right to ban him if this is what he wants.

You don't get psychobabble, 2.4 children and perspiration with Morrissey: he's a true artist, and different rules apply. If you don't understand this, then perhaps the past 15 albums+ have gone straight over your head.

Ernest Hemmingway, Oscar Wilde, Vincent Van Gough, George Orwell, Mozart - none of these people were Mr Average; none of them were necessarily people you would want as nextdoor neighbours; but they changed their art forever - they inspired themselves, they dreamed, they created and they left their footprints in our spirits. Morrissey is in that company. His personal qualities are similarly unimportant to me.

Morrissey, I look forward to seeing you in London and I hope you realise this site does not speak for all or indeed many of us. This site is a joke. You are real.

Ever your fan,

broken

Too many true words never spoken, broken. I completely agree with practically everything you said. And when Morrissey sings “I’ll never be anybody’s hero now” – He needs to know, he already is MY hero. He was, is, and shall always be my hero.

I cannot be as nice to these haters and master manipulators orchestrated initially by the NME. But then, others like Davidt jumped in wrongfully and unjustifiably. This concerns and disheartens me because where do these fans get off speaking such despicable, disgusting, unforgivable lies and rumors about Morrissey? There’s something very very wrong with this picture. I get sick going through the messages and mark my words, I cannot be as polite as you are. I would literally try to destroy any of these people if they confronted me personally and directly for the damage they’ve done to My Baby. A woman who slits throats has time on her hands … you know the rest.

I am sorry I got upset with Morrissey when David Brett (Bitch) presented alleged quotes from Morrissey. I talked about it with BrummieBoy and after awhile I realized that I never heard a word or a peep uttered out of Morrissey’s mouth and I reverted back to all my loyalty as my loyalty has always been with Morrissey and continues to be and I’m not going to let some bogus author ruin my relationship with My Baby.

I’ve had several encounters with Morrissey at concerts and he has always been kind, warm, and completely gentle with me. So I ain’t going to let some alleged rumor get in the way or interrupt the feelings I’ve had for him for approximately twelve years now. Morrissey has never EVER disappointed me. And I’m not into this he said, she said bullshit.

Loyalty is everything to me and my loyalty is with Morrissey and I shall protect and defend him. There is no end to what depths I will go to protect Morrissey in any legal action, or anything else that he needs, requires, or desires.

I believe in destiny. I also believe in and Love, Love, Love Steven Patrick Morrissey.

God Bless You Morrissey and thank you for everything.

All my love,
Kate2828

Too many true words never spoken, broken. I completely agree with practically everything you said. And when Morrissey sings “I’ll never be anybody’s hero now” – He needs to know, he already is MY hero. He was, is, and shall always be my hero.

I cannot be as nice to these haters and master manipulators orchestrated initially by the NME. But then, others like Davidt jumped in wrongfully and unjustifiably. This concerns and disheartens me because where do these fans get off speaking such despicable, disgusting, unforgivable lies and rumors about Morrissey? There’s something very very wrong with this picture. I get sick going through the messages and mark my words, I cannot be as polite as you are. I would literally try to destroy any of these people if they confronted me personally and directly for the damage they’ve done to My Baby. A woman who slits throats has time on her hands … you know the rest.

I am sorry I got upset with Morrissey when David Brett (Bitch) presented alleged quotes from Morrissey. I talked about it with BrummieBoy and after awhile I realized that I never heard a word or a peep uttered out of Morrissey’s mouth and I reverted back to all my loyalty as my loyalty has always been with Morrissey and continues to be and I’m not going to let some bogus author ruin my relationship with My Baby.

I’ve had several encounters with Morrissey at concerts and he has always been kind, warm, and completely gentle with me. So I ain’t going to let some alleged rumor get in the way or interrupt the feelings I’ve had for him for approximately twelve years now. Morrissey has never EVER disappointed me. And I’m not into this he said, she said bullshit.

Loyalty is everything to me and my loyalty is with Morrissey and I shall protect and defend him. There is no end to what depths I will go to protect Morrissey in any legal action, or anything else that he needs, requires, or desires.

I believe in destiny. I also believe in and Love, Love, Love Steven Patrick Morrissey.

All my love,
Kate2828

Mike Joyce could give you a karate chop on the vagina. You'd hate it.

All my love,
Kate2828
You need to see a doctor.

Ernest Hemmingway, Oscar Wilde, Vincent Van Gogh, George Orwell, Mozart...Morrissey is in that company.
Best joke ever

Ernest Hemmingway, Oscar Wilde, Vincent Van Gogh, George Orwell, Mozart...Morrissey is in that company.
Best joke ever
I agree.

You need to see a doctor.

You are the one who should see a doctor or preferably a mortician. You bother to register a name just to hurl abuse at those who defend and appreciate Morrissey.
If that isn’t a telltale sign of rapidly approaching insanity, then one can only hope when you next step off the curb you are visited by a rapidly approaching bus.

What purpose do you serve coming on here to offer nothing but moronic and pointless drivel. Why not go take that pistol you hide beneath your bed for use in fulfilling your coke habit and play some Russian roulette until you achieve the desired result and “win”.

Morrissey detests this site because of cretins like you and if he could he’d creep into your room and smother you with your diary.

So why not be considerate for once and save him the trouble and do it yourself.

You are the one who should see a doctor or preferably a mortician. You bother to register a name just to hurl abuse at those who defend and appreciate Morrissey.
If that isn’t a telltale sign of rapidly approaching insanity, then one can only hope when you next step off the curb you are visited by a rapidly approaching bus.

What purpose do you serve coming on here to offer nothing but moronic and pointless drivel. Why not go take that pistol you hide beneath your bed for use in fulfilling your coke habit and play some Russian roulette until you achieve the desired result and “win”.

Morrissey detests this site because of cretins like you and if he could he’d creep into your room and smother you with your diary.

So why not be considerate for once and save him the trouble and do it yourself.

You're shit at arguing.

Quentin is a puerile turd. He is as much as what's made this site so low as anyone.

You're shit at arguing.

You are so clever with your one liners to everyone. Perhaps if you possessed a vocabulary of more than 12 words than you could write more.

You are a simpleton and a moron and Morrissey would just as soon see you beaten repeatedly with a horseshoe or perhaps poured into a vat of boiling oil.

There is only way for you to go and it is down, down, down, into your waiting grave.

You are so clever with your one liners to everyone. Perhaps if you possessed a vocabulary of more than 12 words than you could write more.

I think you mean "then".

I think you mean "then".

Another idiotic one liner, demonstrating that you are equally illiterate in grammar as you are in vocabulary.

"Than" happens to be correct. You are a credit to your pre-school. In fact you are more “than” a moron, you are a mutant.

And you should be more “than” dead, oh wait there is nothing more than dead, so you being dead will just have to suffice.

You anonymous coward.

Ever your fan,

broken

As fawning as ever, broken. Why is it so hard to say - Mozza, you got it wrong. Pay David back his dough and stop behaving like a tantrum-throwing middle aged female diva!?

And YOR is not nearly so good as you say.

Thank God for those of principle
My daughter told me today alexie sayle paid a visit
i said did u have a natter
no hes a prat slagged off liverpool
good on ya kid
ringos another ugly twat that bit the hand that feeds
liverpool wiil be far here longer than u ever will

a city that never forgives
and proud of it
irene

It's not. When Morrissey couldn't fulfil a date at the Fuji Rock Festival in 2004 he called the band and they stood in for him.

P.

Did he? To me that sounds more like a piss take, than actually liking a band.
Imagine if you were a fan, who bought tickets and got confronted by that lot of "stars in your Eyes" jokers.
Tribute bands are so naff

Nothing like academia to squeeze the life out of art.

Art is extremely meanless if you do not understand the background. In organisational sociology we studied Josef Beuys who is pretty weird but if you learn WHY he did a few things they start to make sense. We read a few of his social physical texts and then had to write a paper on how to plan social processes. A friend did it on drugs, I allowed myself to be inspired by this suggestion and did what she did without the drugs. lol I just went through my notes and wrote down whatever came to my mind which was amazing. It is about time that I start my own political party if only there were two of us, haha. I think you need to be four to start one???

I ordered Eoin's books from the library, however the Morrissey one is not available on long distance loan during the year of publication. I hope reading his other books is not as disappointing as reading another person's books were, who also published on Morrissey, but even though his books were disappointing, they were also very horizon broadening, just not what I had expected in my enthusiasm when I read the descriptions before I ordered them. How anybody can be fascinated by Warhol and all those people surrounding him, like Morrissey is, is beyond me. I never thought there'd really be any who would. And the people on this forum who say they are also leave me completely underwhelmed.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom