Article: Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just hours after her death

UPDATE 1:00 PM PT:

CrystalGeezer posted "It's been suggested this is a mashup of quotes from an old Loaded Magazine article." and !Viva Hate! posted a scan of the Loaded article in the comments.

MORRIZSEY also sends a link to the RollingStone article, which credits the original article at The Daily Beast:

Morrissey: 'Thatcher Was a Terror Without an Atom of Humanity' - The Daily Beast
by Morrissey Apr 8, 2013 1:59 PM EDT
Singer Morrissey, of the seminal 1980s band The Smiths, reacts to news of the death of former U.K. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

UPDATE 8:15 PM PT:

MORRIZSEY also notes the tweet from Lauren Papapietro (Susan Blond agency):

Lauren Papapietro
@laurnpapapietro - 12:21 PM - 8 Apr 13
#Morrissey comments on the passing of #margaretthatcher "...Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity" http://t.co/p99twdWnwz

Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just hours after her death is announced - Mirror Online
8 Apr 2013 19:36
The musician has been a long-time critic of the former Prime Minister

Outspoken Morrissey tonight blasted Margaret Thatcher as "barbaric" and someone "without an atom of humanity".

The musician has been a long-time critic of the former Prime Minister and aired his views in songs like Margaret On The Guillotine.

Tonight, just hours after her death, he released a strongly-worded statement slamming the former Tory politician.

he said: "Thatcher is remembered as The Iron Lady only because she possessed completely negative traits such as persistent stubbornness and a determined refusal to listen to others.

"Every move she made was charged by negativity; she destroyed the British manufacturing industry, she hated the miners, she hated the arts, she hated the Irish Freedom Fighters and allowed them to die, she hated the English poor and did nothing at all to help them, she hated Greenpeace and environmental protectionists, she was the only European political leader who opposed a ban on the Ivory Trade, she had no wit and no warmth and even her own Cabinet booted her out."

Morrissey, whose first Smiths single Hand In Glove was released a month before Baroness Thatcher won her second term of office as Prime Minister in 1983, was highly critical of her role in the Falklands War.

He said: "She gave the order to blow up The Belgrano even though it was outside of the Malvinas Exclusion Zone - and was sailing AWAY from the islands.

"When the young Argentinean boys aboard The Belgrano had suffered a most appalling and unjust death, Thatcher gave the thumbs up sign for the British press. Iron? No. Barbaric? Yes.

"She hated feminists even though it was largely due to the progression of the women's movement that the British people allowed themselves to accept that a Prime Minister could actually be female. But because of Thatcher, there will never again be another woman in power in British politics, and rather than opening that particular door for other women, she closed it.

Outspoken Morrissey, who recently cancelled a series of shows due to ill health, went on: "Thatcher will only be fondly remembered by sentimentalists who did not suffer under her leadership, but the majority of British working people have forgotten her already, and the people of Argentina will be celebrating her death.

"As a matter of recorded fact, Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity," he added.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just ho

When people talk of thatcher its always the coal miners that get mentioned, usually neglecting to mention that Scargill was the true destroyer of the NUM & a scheming money grabber as it turned out for himself.
I feel heart sorry for the coal mining communities that went, but it was an industry & a life style that was out of step & propped up by the rest of us , the notion that today's 16year olds would be rushing to sign up for a life down the pit does make me wonder what planet people are on, as it happens my uncle was a coal miner in Ayrshire , worked for several decades doing it, then the lung disease & respiratory problems kicked in (yeah the small print to working down the mines was you tended to catch nasty / horrible illnesses that shortened your lives.

Did thatcher do a lot wrong? Yes she did (name me a PM who hasn't?) did she do a lot right ? Yes she did, I'm too young (born in 78) but Britain in the early 70s, the winter of discontent/3 day working week / power cut / numerous strikes by the all powerful unions ....that couldn't continue.
i watched the BBC biography on her last night....whatever way you cut it, she lived a remarkable life, and stuck to her guns as to where she wanted the country to go (was enough to be the first female leader of a party, for 3 successive election victories, (first female world leader) not bad for a woman working her way through from the 50s & with the social class system she elevated past.

History I think will be kinder on her than many are just now .
a truly great British Prime Minister & Leader.

Re: Article: Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just ho

Haha Johnny I take my hat off to you, you magnificent bastard!

Much like with David Cameron, you have to wonder how you ever got into Morrissey or The Smiths, weren't there any other artists around that catered for your needs? Like Phil Collins or Gary Barlow?

When people talk of thatcher its always the coal miners that get mentioned, usually neglecting to mention that Scargill was the true destroyer of the NUM & a scheming money grabber as it turned out for himself.
I feel heart sorry for the coal mining communities that went, but it was an industry & a life style that was out of step & propped up by the rest of us , the notion that today's 16year olds would be rushing to sign up for a life down the pit does make me wonder what planet people are on, as it happens my uncle was a coal miner in Ayrshire , worked for several decades doing it, then the lung disease & respiratory problems kicked in (yeah the small print to working down the mines was you tended to catch nasty / horrible illnesses that shortened your lives.

Did thatcher do a lot wrong? Yes she did (name me a PM who hasn't?) did she do a lot right ? Yes she did, I'm too young (born in 78) but Britain in the early 70s, the winter of discontent/3 day working week / power cut / numerous strikes by the all powerful unions ....that couldn't continue.
i watched the BBC biography on her last night....whatever way you cut it, she lived a remarkable life, and stuck to her guns as to where she wanted the country to go (was enough to be the first female leader of a party, for 3 successive election victories, (first female world leader) not bad for a woman working her way through from the 50s & with the social class system she elevated past.

History I think will be kinder on her than many are just now .
a truly great British Prime Minister & Leader.

So you're too young to remember her but you're preaching to us that do? f***ing hell's bells.

I guess you're also too young to remember people legally working for less than a pound an hour, the mass unemployment and benefit culture that she created which still exists today, the selling off of our of our resources, still, she bashed that idiot Scargill so she must have been alright :rolleyes:

I'm not preaching anything,& your right I was effectively too young to feel the effects of many of her policies,(as I said I don't believe she got everything correct (it's an impossible job) but it is a remarkable life and impact she made,

my generation grew up with an all powerful woman running the country ....that in itself is a very interesting circumstance

And has been pointed out , if Labour couldn't win an election against her , then the country (whether you like it or not ) obviously agreed things had to change.

Lest the pro Thatch posts appear too dominant, I must add my opinion.
I grew up during the Thatcher period. She was a monster.

Last edited:

This disgraceful women had been in power for a mere 2 years when I left school, no job opportunities, no hope!
I have long blamed the thatcher government for my lack of opportunities in my earlier life.

No mate, it was YOUR fault YOU couldn't get a job nobody elses.

And the three, four, five million other unemployed in their various guises?

I guess there were a few million jobs going spare so you must be right.

I'm not preaching anything,& your right I was effectively too young to feel the effects of many of her policies,(as I said I don't believe she got everything correct (it's an impossible job) but it is a remarkable life and impact she made,

my generation grew up with an all powerful woman running the country ....that in itself is a very interesting circumstance

And has been pointed out , if Labour couldn't win an election against her , then the country (whether you like it or not ) obviously agreed things had to change.

The Labour Party in recent times have been appalling, I'm not disputing that. What I don't understand is how this in some way means that Thatcher and the Tories wasn't/haven't been, just in different ways.

I believe the Tories under Maggie usually achieved around a 40% share of the national vote in General Elections meaning nearly two-thirds of the population who put their X in the box didn't vote for her, her party or her policies. No wonder she is as divisive in death as she was in life. Such is the joy of living in a first-past-the-post electoral system.

Fortunately I'm out of the country when that funeral is taking place. How much is that going to cost the taxpayer to ensure it passes off without incident?

I'm trying to be fair to her in death, but to be perfectly honest she was a compete and utter c***.

Much like with David Cameron, you have to wonder how you ever got into Morrissey or The Smiths, weren't there any other artists around that catered for your needs? Like Phil Collins or Gary Barlow?

I can still love Morrissey and his music and not turn into a cliched pseudo-intellectual lefty f***wit. You on the other hand can't by the sound of it.

Morrissey was unemployed/incapacitated/skiving for 6 years from 1976 to 1982. I guess it was his fault?

Jump on a bus to Goole and spout this crap in a few pubs, then post the pics of your stitches. Hull, eh? Larkin 'the toad of work' unless you're a poncy graphic designer or some shit. Talent's one thing, but being a gormless prat isn't excused by 'entrepreneurial acumen'. Is your business profitable? For how much longer if this turns into a real Depression? Go the the library, annoying Northern bint with a Fall fixation.

I can still love Morrissey and his music and not turn into a cliched pseudo-intellectual lefty f***wit. You on the other hand can't by the sound of it.

you're just a fcukwit. keep it simple, like your views on modern Britain.

And the three, four, five million other unemployed in their various guises?

I guess there were a few million jobs going spare so you must be right.

I think its flippant, lazy and naive to blame Margaret Thatcher the then elected Prime Minister because you couldn't get a job. Other hard working northern and southern working class people grafted and did their bit.

Go back to listening to your Billy Bragg vinyl, you Jizzwaste.

I'm not a lefty or a righty, I use my brain rather than following political dogma.

But like Brummie Boy says, you appear to be a f***wit, how can you be into music that is against all that you stand for?

Especially when acts like Spandau Ballet had it all on a plate for you.

I can see why you post anonymously.

There is absolutely no incentive why I should bother to set up an account, because there is nobody in particular whom I want to establish a longer lasting reciprocal relationship with.

If one applied the way of argument of the likes of you to homosexuals, one would directly come to the conclusion that they have a serious mental illness that needs to be treated in a mental instution. lol Well done.

The current minimum wage in the UK is £1,072 and that in Irleand €1,461. Will I concern myself with the well being of any indivisual in either country in the future? Absolutely not. And you can shuffle your music where you sit, your arse.

I think its flippant, lazy and naive to blame Margaret Thatcher the then elected Prime Minister because you couldn't get a job. Other hard working northern and southern working class people grafted and did their bit.

Go back to listening to your Billy Bragg vinyl, you Jizzwaste.

I always had a job you utter c***flap.

morrissey was unemployed/incapacitated/skiving for 6 years from 1976 to 1982. I guess it was his fault?

Jump on a bus to goole and spout this crap in a few pubs, then post the pics of your stitches. Hull, eh? Larkin 'the toad of work' unless you're a poncy graphic designer or some shit. Talent's one thing, but being a gormless prat isn't excused by 'entrepreneurial acumen'. Is your business profitable? For how much longer if this turns into a real depression? Go the the library, annoying northern bint with a fall fixation.

we are nothern white crap that talks back, bang bang f***ing mighty fall!

I always had a job you utter c***flap.

I was talking about the anonymous poster who said it was Thatchers fault he couldn't get work, you f***ing thick turd.

Last edited:

I was talking about the anonymous poster who said it was Thatchers fault he could get work you f***ing thick turd

But you replied quoting me. Obviously Thatcher's supporters were great thinkers.

But you replied quoting me. Obviously Thatcher's supporters were great thinkers.

Otherwise they'd be wondering why Jimmy Savile spent 11 consecutive New Years Eve's with our loveable Margaret and her docile Dennis

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom