Article: Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just hours after her death

UPDATE 1:00 PM PT:

CrystalGeezer posted "It's been suggested this is a mashup of quotes from an old Loaded Magazine article." and !Viva Hate! posted a scan of the Loaded article in the comments.

MORRIZSEY also sends a link to the RollingStone article, which credits the original article at The Daily Beast:

Morrissey: 'Thatcher Was a Terror Without an Atom of Humanity' - The Daily Beast
by Morrissey Apr 8, 2013 1:59 PM EDT
Singer Morrissey, of the seminal 1980s band The Smiths, reacts to news of the death of former U.K. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

UPDATE 8:15 PM PT:

MORRIZSEY also notes the tweet from Lauren Papapietro (Susan Blond agency):

Lauren Papapietro
@laurnpapapietro - 12:21 PM - 8 Apr 13
#Morrissey comments on the passing of #margaretthatcher "...Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity" http://t.co/p99twdWnwz

Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just hours after her death is announced - Mirror Online
8 Apr 2013 19:36
The musician has been a long-time critic of the former Prime Minister

Outspoken Morrissey tonight blasted Margaret Thatcher as "barbaric" and someone "without an atom of humanity".

The musician has been a long-time critic of the former Prime Minister and aired his views in songs like Margaret On The Guillotine.

Tonight, just hours after her death, he released a strongly-worded statement slamming the former Tory politician.

he said: "Thatcher is remembered as The Iron Lady only because she possessed completely negative traits such as persistent stubbornness and a determined refusal to listen to others.

"Every move she made was charged by negativity; she destroyed the British manufacturing industry, she hated the miners, she hated the arts, she hated the Irish Freedom Fighters and allowed them to die, she hated the English poor and did nothing at all to help them, she hated Greenpeace and environmental protectionists, she was the only European political leader who opposed a ban on the Ivory Trade, she had no wit and no warmth and even her own Cabinet booted her out."

Morrissey, whose first Smiths single Hand In Glove was released a month before Baroness Thatcher won her second term of office as Prime Minister in 1983, was highly critical of her role in the Falklands War.

He said: "She gave the order to blow up The Belgrano even though it was outside of the Malvinas Exclusion Zone - and was sailing AWAY from the islands.

"When the young Argentinean boys aboard The Belgrano had suffered a most appalling and unjust death, Thatcher gave the thumbs up sign for the British press. Iron? No. Barbaric? Yes.

"She hated feminists even though it was largely due to the progression of the women's movement that the British people allowed themselves to accept that a Prime Minister could actually be female. But because of Thatcher, there will never again be another woman in power in British politics, and rather than opening that particular door for other women, she closed it.

Outspoken Morrissey, who recently cancelled a series of shows due to ill health, went on: "Thatcher will only be fondly remembered by sentimentalists who did not suffer under her leadership, but the majority of British working people have forgotten her already, and the people of Argentina will be celebrating her death.

"As a matter of recorded fact, Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity," he added.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just ho

The only reason the "door has been closed" on women running for PM is that there's been no women since her who've been good enough, her methods of leadership and policies may have been questionable, but she wasn't afraid to roll her sleeves up and get the job done.

Re: Article: Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just ho

Most men have always been afraid of strong women, why should Morrissey be any different?

Morrissey didn't like her because she wasn't a "champion for gays". Period. Compare the prior two decades in England to the 1980's. You know...the 1980's...when Morrissey built the base for his millionaire's career? It takes a lot of courage to badmouth someone on the day they die. I mean, this wasn't effing Hitler, Morrissey.

Advice for 99% of artists: Shut your mouths and sing your beautiful songs. Because when you try to talk about global politics, you look like an idiot.

Suggested? It is blatant!

8364289458_422ddfa976_h.jpg

I has my uses. And yer welcome, by the way.

Only now 'it's been suggested' it is an official PR release. God bless the 'cissies'.

This world is so unfair! If only he had released "Margaret On The Guilhotine" today, instead of Kill Uncle and The Last of The Famous.....

morrissey is correct in his assessment

The only reason the "door has been closed" on women running for PM is that there's been no women since her who've been good enough

Yes, you're right: men have been better than women since 1990.

her methods of leadership and policies may have been questionable, but she wasn't afraid to roll her sleeves up and get the job done.

You like her because - by your own reasoning - she was good at being shit. If we'd had a male PM between 1979 & 1990, maybe he'd've been shit at being shit. That would've been better. Maybe.

Morrissey didn't like her because she wasn't a "champion for gays". Period. Compare the prior two decades in England to the 1980's. You know...the 1980's...when Morrissey built the base for his millionaire's career? It takes a lot of courage to badmouth someone on the day they die. I mean, this wasn't effing Hitler, Morrissey.

Advice for 99% of artists: Shut your mouths and sing your beautiful songs. Because when you try to talk about global politics, you look like an idiot.

Morrissey listed numerous reasons he had a distaste for Thatcher and yet you feel the need to invent one. Odd.

Why should ANYONE not be able to comment on global politics? Artists are citizens. Should we all be assigned certain subjects we're allowed to hold opinions on based on our vocation?

Lastly, you believe there should be some day-of-death code the entire world should adhere to?

Chip, it just proves what a bunch of c***s troll here - yet according to DavidT, that's "freedom of speech".

Newsflash, David: 99% of internet forums delete and block trolls without compromising free speech or promoting censorship! But no, you won't block or ban VIVA, nor delete VIVA's horrifically spiteful post bemoaning the fact that Morrissey's mother is still alive. That post was inexcusable and demonstrates the depths to which this detestable place has sunk. (And before anyone comes back and whines "Oh, but Morrissey has wished death on people" let's not forget that Morrissey's remarks are hyperbole arising from a longheld stance on a wider subject. VIVA's comment was just inexcusable childish cruelty. I guess VIVA must be a very sad and angry person if he/she feels empowered by posting such hateful bile online).

I actually do not believe Johnny Barleycorn is a troll, just someone whom I disagree with on occasion, and I respect his right to free speech. That being said there are two people here who are most certainly trolls. I might have mixed feelings about them being gone, but given the personal nature of some their attacks I wouldn't be too sad.

I mostly just wish we'd ban anonymous comments.

How tiresome. I can't recall exactly who asked Moz what he thought about Margaret Thatcher. Hasn't he ever heard "don't speak ill of the dead"?

How tiresome. I can't recall exactly who asked Moz what he thought about Margaret Thatcher. Hasn't he ever heard "don't speak ill of the dead"?

No one did...and he didn't...it's on this very page of this thread that the quotes were cobbled together from a previous interview.

When will Morrissey make news for completing a new album?

A little confused. The statements were taken from previously conducted interviews, but Morrissey's own PR agent is retweeting? So Morrissey himself "re-purposed" the (well-deserved) vitriol against M. Thatcher?

Meanwhile, youth who were born long after The Smiths disbanded party in the streets of London at the news of her passing.

One of the first comments I read on Twitter after I heard the news was Kevin Cummins asking whether Morrissey had been asked for a quote yet... https://twitter.com/KCMANC/status/321230559969943552

Dave

His lover Jake Walters was more honest when he at least mentioned Clause 28. Most people from other countries don't know about it and for that reason totally misinterpret Morrissey's lyrics and Morrissey is still intentionally misleading them. You have to know about it, however, to understand why Morrissey is called "influencial" by homosexual academics and journalists and fans and why Morrissey has made a living and fortune by quoting anything that is vaguely related to homosexuality:
http://www.bishopsgate.org.uk/audios.aspx?vid=8369

I cannot exactly say that what they sayabout the positions that homosexuals held at the time gives the impression that they were really discriminated against, because clearly they managed to get into influencial positions in education, government and the media. Then they had their coming outs to let everybody know how important homosexuals are. This is what they say in the podcast. Nowadays they argue that they should be allowed to adopt children, because they were earning so well, they could easily provide for such children. Right, never a word about the mothers however who have their babies taken away from them by authorities and don't get any support or why women feel they cannot support their children and thus give them away volutarily, because what do they care, those well to dos, who only care about themselves. That blogger anybody, who pays women do donor their eggs and have his children? Why would women do anything like this if they didn't have to? It is a very painful way to make money.

I grew up in a country without a clause 28 and a man freely walking the street in a dress and the media was full of sex of all kinds and teenagers enganging in all sorts with lots of drugs involved. I personally have to say that in this respect Thatcher was right, because to me as a child this was too much and it had a very negative effect as it caused a reactance in me. Ironically I initially thought that Morrissey was about just being yourself, until I figured out that he is about anything I despise with his over eager fans attacking me who would not even pass a university exam without f***ing their professor first. I don't see that Thatcher would have done anything like this.

And Morrissey isn't exactly the most feeling person either. Just the other day it was in the news how PETA mistreated animals. When his beloved fan Margaret died, he posted a message saying that it was all right that she killed herself, even though it is sad that she won't admire him anymore.

This disgraceful women had been in power for a mere 2 years when I left school, no job opportunities, no hope!
I have long blamed the thatcher government for my lack of opportunities in my earlier life.

His lover Jake Walters was more honest when he at least mentioned Clause 28. Most people from other countries don't know about it and for that reason totally misinterpret Morrissey's lyrics and Morrissey is still intentionally misleading them. You have to know about it, however, to understand why Morrissey is called "influencial" by homosexual academics and journalists and fans and why Morrissey has made a living and fortune by quoting anything that is vaguely related to homosexuality:

I cannot exactly say that what they sayabout the positions that homosexuals held at the time gives the impression that they were really discriminated against, because clearly they managed to get into influencial positions in education, government and the media. Then they had their coming outs to let everybody know how important homosexuals are. This is what they say in the podcast. Nowadays they argue that they should be allowed to adopt children, because they were earning so well, they could easily provide for such children. Right, never a word about the mothers however who have their babies taken away from them by authorities and don't get any support or why women feel they cannot support their children and thus give them away volutarily, because what do they care, those well to dos, who only care about themselves. That blogger anybody, who pays women do donor their eggs and have his children? Why would women do anything like this if they didn't have to? It is a very painful way to make money.

I grew up in a country without a clause 28 and a man freely walking the street in a dress and the media was full of sex of all kinds and teenagers enganging in all sorts with lots of drugs involved. I personally have to say that in this respect Thatcher was right, because to me as a child this was too much and it had a very negative effect as it caused a reactance in me. Ironically I initially thought that Morrissey was about just being yourself, until I figured out that he is about anything I despise with his over eager fans attacking me who would not even pass a university exam without f***ing their professor first. I don't see that Thatcher would have done anything like this.

And Morrissey isn't exactly the most feeling person either. Just the other day it was in the news how PETA mistreated animals. When his beloved fan Margaret died, he posted a message saying that it was all right that she killed herself, even though it is sad that she won't admire him anymore.

Jake Walters is straight. Does anyone deal in facts anymore?

I can see why you post anonymously. This comment reads like a cry for help. You clearly have a number of complex inter-related issues to do with your childhood, mothering, LGBTIQ freedom and many other issues. I've guessed English is your second language? But don't worry, your unexamined trauma expressed as bigotry shines through. Margaret Thatcher had a very cold, unloving childhood and in that were the roots of her visceral hatred of convivial working class families and culture. Her own daughter has expressed really very challenging views about her mother's work/life balance, such as to suggest that Margaret Thatcher's reasons for having children are open to examination just as much, if not more, than any minority sexuality parents. Morrissey played an incredibly sophisticated game with sexual politics: he was overtly non-male in a era when being such was supposedly tolerated, yet viscious legistlation like Clause 28 was put into effect. Morrissey, as far as I can tell, was in effect saying: "I know a lot of hip trendy people are cavorting around being openly gay but I know and you know that in most provincial areas there is no such freedom and most people live lives where to be overt is to risk being attacked. I will, therefore, expose this bogus situation with relish, because I am a pathfinder artist". Lots of people think Morrissey should make a definitive statement now that career closet cases like Elton, O'Dowd and George Michael have 'come out' or were outed by their indiscretions in the case of George Michael. suddenly those pop stars can't stfu about how totally gay and right-on they are having been advised for years to not reveal. Expecting Moz to make some kind of definitive statement is an act of oppression unless he's secretly living some definable gay or straight life and is thus a hypocrite to still remain in an ambivalent interzone like me. I am totally 'out' and have been since I was 10, but people just thought i'd read too many Marc Bolan interviews in Jackie. I get really tired of 'cult' gays saying I just haven't made up my mind, and it's hilarious when Rupert Everett denounces the 'lifestyle' as a waste of time cult like the Catholic church. There's a serious investigative journalism issue as to how much Thatcher knew about Jimmy Savile as it is inconcievable that he became both a Royal and a Papal Knight without MI5/MI6 doing the checks on him. I'm followed online and off 24/7/365 FFS! and I'm a nobody, allegedly. So how could Savile have stayed under the radar? He wasn't. He was protected by people like the South Yorks Police and the Catholic church. Thatcher's reaction to Hillsboro is being scrutinised by my team as we work through the thousands of hidden PDF's which though online, cannot be searched by web crawlers. We've had to download them all and read them in Adobe to find the smoking guns. And there's lots of them. Next, we turn to The Battle of Orgreave. At some stage we may release some music, but political praxis is far more nourishing and satisfying. I do not know which country you hail from, but we will be very involved in doing work to help Fr Shay Cullen's Preda organisation 'going forward' [sic] Freedom for adult sexuality is not the same as freedom to abuse children or teenagers. You are seriously confused and should sit down with a skilled therapist. I always announce myself as a gay,vegan atheist if I have the slightest sniff of intolerance in my nostrils. It gets rid of an enormous amount of flotsam and jestsam socially, both online and off, even it I'm actually far more complex and nuanced. Sometimes blunt politics is the only way. When Morrissey tore off his shirt on TOTP to do the lipstick "Initiate me!" it was as effective as Bowie's "Starman". If he does nothing else he changed teh culture for the better. I sometimes have fun in really rough pubs by giving blokes 'the look' just to see how they react. It's often hilarious, though sometimes they do freak out and try to get violent, which is never a smart idea with a psychopath. I only do it to blokes who stare at women, ignore signs from those women to 'piss off' and think they have a god-given right to leer but not be leered at by King Leer. When they've stopped sulking, I usually cop off with the woman they were after just to rub salt into the wound. It's just how us bisexual, bicultural, bi-polar BrummieBoys roll! Of course, I might be a middle-aged, middle-england uber-conservative Dad and it's all an act. But no-one will ever know, just like Moz, one hopes. He was very supportive of Jimmy Somerville who, alone, with one song, said all that ever needs to be said. "Smalltown Boy" was just as important as "This Charming Man" and Morrissey knew it. But not every wee lad in Glasgow wants to spend the next 30 years clubbing and fcukin in bushes in Hyde Park. That's why gay marriage is so important. I've not heard Moz opine on that topic but he won't outdo Rupert Everett for shock tactics. I've written a long reply to you because I'm concerned about you. I hope you're in your first flush of adult life so there's still time to change before you become totally embittered about other people's choices. I wish you well. I hope you find happiness either alone or in the arms of someone who loves you.

http://www.preda.org/main/work/frcullen.html

"train, heave on to New Street.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuz94ZIPfJk

hey! Jimmy! get in touch dude....via Tatchell. I owe you the mother of all shags..LOL!

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom