Article: Mani and friends curating a night of Smiths classics at Band on the Wall in

Press release:

THE JD SET IS BACK IN MANCHESTER!

MANI AND FRIENDS HONOUR THE SMITHS AT BAND ON THE WALL

The JD Set returns to Manchester’s Band On The Wall where Mancunian legend MANI and a host of friends will pay tribute to one of the city’s defining acts on 12th May 2011. Taking songs from across THE SMITHS five albums Mani will be joined by Tom Clarke of The Enemy, Little Barrie and ones to watch The Moons. With so many great tunes to choose from there are sure to be debates about what Mani’s supergroup should play. Keep an eye on www.thejdset.co.uk for more details and to view rehearsal footage in April to see what makes the cut. Mani said of this unique and very special night:

"I chose The Smiths on two levels really, geographically and musically. I am a fiercely proud Mancunian and fiercely proud of the musical output of the great city.

The Smiths are just one of many musical icons that Manchester has provided to the world, weaving a lineage from The Hollies in the '60s, through the Buzzcocks in the '70s and The Smiths ruled the '80s in the same way their predecessors did in previous eras. Razor sharp lyrics, coupled with amazing musicianship and a tremendous pop sensibility, set the standard for subsequent Manchester legends The Stone Roses and Oasis and their influence can definitely be heard in the present day, just check out a band like The Courteneers. It is only fit and proper to attempt to pay homage to one of Manchester's. greats.

I aim to introduce some of the latest up and coming acts to a wider audience.These acts definitely have something about them, and it will be interesting to see and hear their take on some classic tunes. A little bit of diversity and the magic could flow.

I'm excited let's get it together!"

The JD set is one of the most anticipated events on the music calendar and has been creating moments of music history for almost ten years. Having featured some of the biggest names and most critically acclaimed acts in UK music from Elbow to The Wombats, The Joy Formidable to Editors, last year’s event pioneered a new approach with the artists choosing a legendary act to honour, creating new versions of classic tracks and unique collaborations between legendary figures such as Tim Burgess and hotly tipped new acts like Dutch Uncles. Taking place at intimate venues, these shows are a rare chance to see rock legends and the next generation of stars up close and personal for free, courtesy of Mr Jack.

This year’s JD Set also includes shows in London, where Tim Wheeler and a supporting cast will honour Pixies and Glasgow where Sharleen Spiteri and friends will honour the music of David Bowie.

Jack Daniel’s has a long and illustrious history of supporting music. From the creation of the Silver Cornet Band in his home of Lynchburg in 1892 to entertain his community and workers music has been inextricably linked with Jack. Resonating through the history of rock ‘n’ roll from its early beginnings as the rock star drink of choice, Jack Daniel’s have been the creators of not just the JD Set but also Jack’s birthday, a star studded night that has visited both Tennessee and London in recent years and played host to jaw dropping moments such as a Frank Black, Guy Garvey and Richard Hawley in collaboration whilst the likes of Patti Smith, Duane Eddy and countless others have been part of Jack’s ongoing celebration of the power of music to bring people together and create unforgettable moments. Many things have changed since 1892 but Jack Daniel’s love of music and the way they make their whiskey stays the same.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
www.thejdset.co.uk

Last edited:
sadly in May when the Summerfestivals all over begin

if they organised it a month earlier me thinks it would be a sell out

I hope it'll do it also, the artists are IMHO better than the released
The Smiths record with songs done by other bands or singer m/f

Hope we have a newsitem and hopefully footage or music from it
10 days before Morrissey's birthday

I saw on the page that they're still busy with to fill the evening
with a true fine evening celebrating The Smiths and Manchester

Re: Article: Mani and friends curating a night of Smiths classics at Band on the Wall

This is next Thursday. Neither me, or my friends have heard a thing since we applied for tickets?

Re: Article: Mani and friends curating a night of Smiths classics at Band on the Wall

Me neither :(

Dave

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom