Article: "Kit" (full version) and "It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small" (different version) - m

Thank you Skinny. These a friggin' awesome. Much appreciated, sir.

Fantastic to hear these, and the other material posted recently. Many thanks to Uncle Skinny and whomever else was behind letting these hounds loose.

For some reason I wasn't expecting the lyrics on "It's Hard…" to be the same, as the backing music couldn't be more different. By the time the Quarry sessions came around, Morrissey obviously added the "Ringo" dig -- I assume aimed at Spencer -- and the whole "compadre" refrain. I don't believe there are many (any?) incidences of Morrissey using lyrics for unreleased songs years later.

"Kit" is excellent. After hearing Boz' acoustic rendition years back, this is a 70mm presentation.

I don't believe there are many (any?) incidences of Morrissey using lyrics for unreleased songs years later.
The only possibility I can think of is "One of Our Own," maybe. It was apparently the working title of a song from the Viva Hate era that never saw the light of day, or something along those lines. It is mentioned on Stefan Krix's page here. It's anyone's guess whether lyrics might have been written and then reused over 20 years later, or if just the title was recycled.

Last edited:
Nice catch.
Impossible to know, but the lyrics are in the more on-the-nose style of recent years. No Americanisms that would make it easier to tell.
In any case, Morrissey liked the title enough to resurrect it over a quarter century later!

The only possibility I can think of is "One of Our Own," maybe. It was apparently the working title of a song from the Viva Hate era that never saw the light of day, or something along those lines. It is mentioned on Stefan Krix's page here. It's anyone's guess whether lyrics might have been written and then reused over 20 years later, or if just the title was recycled.

Christmas came late.

Thank you to the generous souls out there who put these precious, and much talked about tunes out there, but...

That said, I hate to take the wind out of the proverbial sails, but put these rough tracks up against most things after "You Are The Quarry" and it's heartbreaking to realize how far we've all strayed from the good stuff.

Last edited:
Nice catch.
Impossible to know, but the lyrics are in the more on-the-nose style of recent years. No Americanisms that would make it easier to tell.
In any case, Morrissey liked the title enough to resurrect it over a quarter century later!
Yes, I'm inclined to agree; the lyrics definitely read like latter-day Morrissey.

Re: Here's the treats

If I'm recalling the Mozipedia correctly, I Know Who I Love and Kit were recorded during the album proper and the first version of It's Hard at the B-side sessions. So it's curious that these circulated together but I Know Who I Love didn't. For that matter - if these originally came from an apocryphal DAT tape upstream - it would seem plausible that Hanratty and Nightmare (two other Cobrin compositions from the B-side session) and The Leeches Go On Removing might have been on it. Goddard is the only person to ever have seemed to acknowledge hearing I Know Who I Love.

Any road, thanks for these baubles, Peter. Much appreciated!

Having heard the Miraval acoustic demos, I reviewed the individual entries on Passions Just Like Mine (the versions section) and noted there are unheard instrumental versions for practically each song. I would posit that what we heard were demos to get Morrissey's guide vocal. The unheard instrumentals are perhaps the more instrumentally expansive next step, I.e. the transitional step to what was re-recorded at Hook End. And perhaps these are less apt to see light of day because Morrissey isn't featured.

Just speculation, but it seems plausible. Then again, the leaked version of You Must Please Remember sounded very complete - as did the officially released masters of Honey You Know Where To Find Me and You Should Have Been Nice To Me. Unfortunately, the historical record was never very assiduously maintained when it came to the solo recording sessions.

You're right - here's Spencer...

YgQmuYp.png

By the way, while we're on FB screenshots, here's Alain saying The Smiths are the only band that should reform.

ix7UN6e.png

The opening of 'Hard to Walk Tall' sounds like 'Easy Pieces'-era Lloyd Cole & the Commotions.

On a fantastic thread like this, it feels like the (very) old days of Moz-solo. Just talking about the music.

Just a little question : where to find "I know who I love" (if that song actually exists) ? Thanks.

Many thanks Uncleskinny, enjoyed it very much, and what it brought out on the thread too - like King Leer just said.

All good stuff. Sorry if I've missed it earlier, but is there a definitive list of which remaining unreleased tracks/outtakes are known to exist, but have not yet leaked?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom