Article: “Not Like Any Other Love”: The Smiths - A Culture Show Special (BBC2, May 12, 2013); also L

Re: BBC Culture Show - celebrating 30 years since the release of Hand In Glove

I actually reported here, on Saturday 11th May BBC 6 Music Liz Kershaw will celebrate the 30th anniversary, too.

Last edited:

Presumably the same show:

MAY 12, 2013
BBC 2 Smiths Special
Charles contributes to BBC2 Smiths Doc to mark 30th Anniversary of Hand in Glove

http://www.charleshazlewood.com/

I've always enjoyed Tim Samuels' contributions to the culture show so will be looking forward to this instalment. He interviewed Morrissey back in the 1980's I think - pictured on the right wearing glasses. Image borrowed from his twitter feed.

If anyone is interested in the booker prize he always does a show based on the short list which is worth catching around September time each year.

BHnnxCVCYAMpn8l.jpg

BF9jQXKCEAE25tB.jpg

UPDATE May 9:

jushardlow posts:

Hi, I was the researcher on this documentary ... it's called "Not like any other Love" The Smiths: A Culture Show Special and it's on this sunday (12th May) at 11pm BBC2. Correct - It's presented by Tim Samuels. Amy Lame, Simon Armitage, Stuart Maconie, Wayne Hemingway, Noel Gallagher, Charles Hazelwood, Jo Slee and Kerry McCarthy feature. It's a half hour film on the band's cultural legacy .... a film by fans for fans! Salford Lads Club were kind enough to let us film in The Smiths Room, and interviews also took place in London and York. Lots of great archive too from the BBC, Steve at Soundsville International .... and Jonathan Barnett, Hetty Church and Grant Showbiz.

Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths - BBC 2

DURATION: 30 MINUTES
It's 30 years since Manchester four-piece The Smiths changed the face of British pop with their debut single Hand In Glove. In this half-hour Culture Show special, fellow Mancunian and lifelong fan Tim Samuels sets out to find out why The Smiths have such a special place in the hearts of a generation of Brits. The Smiths were only around for five years in the mid-eighties, but to this day the sentiment their music evokes is strong. Samuels pays visits to a variety of dedicated fans including fashion designer Wayne Hemingway, poet Simon Armitage, Labour MP Kerry McCarthy and Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher to analyse the look, the lyrics, the issues and the riffs that made The Smiths Britain's first, and arguably best ever, indie rock band.

https://twitter.com/bbcCultureShow/status/319385708504678400

@bbcCultureShow - 2:47 AM - 3 Apr 13
We’re celebrating The Smiths on @BBC2 12th May with @TimDSamuels … 30 years since their first single release ‘Hand in Glove’

Which I'm guessing is one of the two programmes Morrissey refused to participate in.

Another tweet on Apr. 24:

@bbcCultureShow - 5:12 AM - 24 Apr 13
We’re getting excited about “Not Like Any Other Love”: The Smiths A Culture Show Special - BBC2, 12th May 2013 , 11pm

Posted by an anonymous person:

Presumably the same show:

MAY 12, 2013
BBC 2 Smiths Special
Charles contributes to BBC2 Smiths Doc to mark 30th Anniversary of Hand in Glove

http://www.charleshazlewood.com/

Kewpie also posted:

I actually reported here, on Saturday 11th May BBC 6 Music Liz Kershaw will celebrate the 30th anniversary, too.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess everyone ignored you, as usual.

is this the one Morrissey declined inmediately, to be in it or say something about it?

great song , shame that they couldn't agree to release it again?

4 days till we have a King crowned in the Netherlands

and a good friend is having his birthday but choose this special day for euthanasia,Godspeed D.

I have forgiven Jesus

Re:

is this the one Morrissey declined inmediately, to be in it or say something about it?

I advise you to read TTY statement again.

Liz Kershaw is hosting a weekly radio show on BBC 6 Music, it's not a TV documentary.

Liz is one of the DJs who are always supportive to The Smiths and Morrissey since their debut in 1983.

Re:

I advise you to read TTY statement again.

Liz Kershaw is hosting a weekly radio show on BBC 6 Music, it's not a TV documentary.

Liz is one of the DJs who are always supportive to The Smiths and Morrissey since their debut in 1983.

I read the last paragraph that 2 TV DOCUMANTARIES about the Smiths are /were to be aired

and all of the TTY news comes here, so why go there

yes I know about the radio show, but more interested in what I wrote in my first line

ps, D is given himself a few more days, makes me happy

Looking forward to this!
I wonder if Johnny will be making an appearance or Mike/Andy for that matter...

Joyce for sure, Andy seems to live in NY nowadays, and Johhny is busy as usual, but
past half year made PR for his new CD, and is been going on a tour, as he is now in the USA

so, it'll be like the DVD Joyce and Rourke made and released, and made it to nmbr 1 in the DVD music charts than,
hope Johhny has something say or share

whatever it will be taped, and I guess a newsitem is coming as the radio show and the TV docs are aired,
due to lot/some of Solo iregular regulars, which I'm gratefull for because they share it

thanks in advance

Hi, I was the researcher on this documentary ... it's called "Not like any other Love" The Smiths: A Culture Show Special and it's on this sunday (12th May) at 11pm BBC2. Correct - It's presented by Tim Samuels. Amy Lame, Simon Armitage, Stuart Maconie, Wayne Hemingway, Noel Gallagher, Charles Hazelwood, Jo Slee and Kerry McCarthy feature. It's a half hour film on the band's cultural legacy .... a film by fans for fans! Salford Lads Club were kind enough to let us film in The Smiths Room, and interviews also took place in London and York. Lots of great archive too from the BBC, Steve at Soundsville International .... and Jonathan Barnett, Hetty Church and Grant Showbiz. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sjlmc

Quite a diverse bunch. Veggie politician, conductor, poet and Stuart Maconie.

I can already feel a lovely big yawn coming on...

Re: Article: “Not Like Any Other Love”: The Smiths - A Culture Show Special (BBC2, Ma

oxford roadshow concert, would have been nice to put on after??

Joyce for sure, Andy seems to live in NY nowadays, and Johhny is busy as usual, but
past half year made PR for his new CD, and is been going on a tour, as he is now in the USA

so, it'll be like the DVD Joyce and Rourke made and released, and made it to nmbr 1 in the DVD music charts than,
hope Johhny has something say or share

whatever it will be taped, and I guess a newsitem is coming as the radio show and the TV docs are aired,
due to lot/some of Solo iregular regulars, which I'm gratefull for because they share it

thanks in advance
This story is old but it goes on.... I feel bored already. No doubt there will be a recorded message from Rourke across the pond in America maybe being interviewed during one of his DJ sessions. If Joyce/Rourke are involved in this at all looking to make a fast buck then it's a no go area for me. We have heard these old stories a million times!

Re: BBC 6 Music

Today's BBC 6 Music Liz Kershaw is live from Salford Lads Club.

Liz mentioned that Mike Joyce would be on the show as well.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom