Are your significant others/parents/friends/etc. Morrissey fans?

S

Skylarker

Maybe this subject has been discussed before, but I was thinking today how, when I was growing up, my mother really hated Michael Stipe and said he looked like an AIDS victim, but never said anything bad about Morrissey. In fact I even remember watching Hulmerist, Live In Dallas, and The Complete Picture quite a bit on the VCR in the living room and she would often stop and watch them at times, and I recall she liked Everyday Is Like Sunday, November Spawned a Monster, and There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

My dad was pretty much open to any music.

As for girlfriends, I've never had a serious one who didn't completely, totally hate him. And my friends have been anything from disinterested to lukewarm to un-obsessive fans who appreciate his work but don't really care much beyond that.

So I was wondering, have you encountered roadblocks in family members/relationships where your Morrissey love is concerned? Or has it been smooth sailing?

Family have been fine to follow and appreciate Morrissey to an extent. A couple of my friends are Morrissey fans, nothing to do with me, they were already. Other people are a different matter. Work mates etc, some know and love him, others tend to either not know who he is, or reply with "Why do you like him?", with a disdain. Most people basically don't know who the hell he is

My son loves him. Saw him in 2007 with me. And his is the only opinion I care about, so... that settles things for me. Haha.

My brother got me into Morrissey, and by now, it can be said that I'm actually more into Morrissey than he is.

Apart from that, all of my friends have a huge disinterest in Morrissey - dismissing his entire career as boring on the basis of a few tracks - and only a few have only the slightest passing interest in popularly-known Smiths songs, i.e. "Please Please Please..." in 500 Days of Summer. No one in my band likes Morrissey or the Smiths.

My son loves him. Saw him in 2007 with me. And his is the only opinion I care about, so... that settles things for me. Haha.

That's cool.

My brother got me into Morrissey, and by now, it can be said that I'm actually more into Morrissey than he is.

Apart from that, all of my friends have a huge disinterest in Morrissey - dismissing his entire career as boring on the basis of a few tracks - and only a few have only the slightest passing interest in popularly-known Smiths songs, i.e. "Please Please Please..." in 500 Days of Summer. No one in my band likes Morrissey or the Smiths.

One thing I find interesting is how when people don't like him, they don't just not like him, they actually feel uncomfortable when he sings. I love that. I kind of use it as my litmus test for determining if someone is an asshole...if they don't like Morrissey or they don't like Woody Allen, then they are probably to be avoided. Not because of taste differences -that much is fine- but because if what those artists represent is reprehensible to someone, that's a red flag in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:

That must be challenging as a musician to be surrounded by all that negative sentiment. So none of the band members site the Smiths or Morrissey as an influence? Do you? If so, how does that gel with what they are creating?

That must be challenging as a musician to be surrounded by all that negative sentiment. So none of the band members site the Smiths or Morrissey as an influence? Do you? If so, how does that gel with what they are creating?

I mean I don't actively go out of my way to write guitar lines like Johnny Marr or Alain Whyte, although I strive as much as I can for engaging intricacy when it comes to guitar. I will say that I learned a great deal about singing more expressively from listening to Morrissey, although I feel as though I take much more influence vocally from what one might call 'non-vocalists,' or those whose singing styles are much more characteristically atonal, such as John Lydon or David Byrne. Needless to say, no one is too pleased by my vocal influences, but being a radio presence isn't exactly something I'm going for :lbf:

No, none of the members of my group site the Smiths or Morrissey as an influence - none of them so much as listen to either beyond what they might overhear me listening to. The bassist's favorite band is Anti-Flag, the pianist's favorite band is Foxy Shazam, and the drummer's favorite band I believe is The Bravery.

I mean I don't actively go out of my way to write guitar lines like Johnny Marr or Alain Whyte, although I strive as much as I can for engaging intricacy when it comes to guitar. I will say that I learned a great deal about singing more expressively from listening to Morrissey, although I feel as though I take much more influence vocally from what one might call 'non-vocalists,' or those whose singing styles are much more characteristically atonal, such as John Lydon or David Byrne. Needless to say, no one is too pleased by my vocal influences, but being a radio presence isn't exactly something I'm going for :lbf:

No, none of the members of my group site the Smiths or Morrissey as an influence - none of them so much as listen to either beyond what they might overhear me listening to. The bassist's favorite band is Anti-Flag, the pianist's favorite band is Foxy Shazam, and the drummer's favorite band I believe is The Bravery.

Wow, what an eclectic mix there. Maybe that is the key to your success?

My significant other could be called a fan, I guess. My friends were always casual fans, because they considered it in style to be Morrissey fans.

Maybe this subject has been discussed before, but I was thinking today how, when I was growing up, my mother really hated Michael Stipe and said he looked like an AIDS victim, but never said anything bad about Morrissey. In fact I even remember watching Hulmerist, Live In Dallas, and The Complete Picture quite a bit on the VCR in the living room and she would often stop and watch them at times, and I recall she liked Everyday Is Like Sunday, November Spawned a Monster, and There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

My dad was pretty much open to any music.

As for girlfriends, I've never had a serious one who didn't completely, totally hate him. And my friends have been anything from disinterested to lukewarm to un-obsessive fans who appreciate his work but don't really care much beyond that.

So I was wondering, have you encountered roadblocks in family members/relationships where your Morrissey love is concerned? Or has it been smooth sailing?

My son and daugter love morrissey! well they,ve been brought up with his music all there lives!
Come 2 mention it, theres not a day that goes by that we dont talk about morrissey! :)
When ever we go 2 a morrissey and kristeen young concert my son and daugher allways come with us! they just cant resist a morrissey concert!
The anticipation and exitement waiting 4 morrissey and kristeen 2 appear on stage - awwww its the best part of the experience! :thumb:

My daugher actually plays the keyboards! shes fantastic! , but not in the same class as kristeen of course! LOL :)

My mum was a big fan of morrissey 2! :)

Ive never actually come accoss anyone who actually dislikes morrissey!
(well apart from some of the trolls who post on this website! :( )
The only slightly negative feed back Ive had from some people is when they giggle and say "his music is so deppressing" but of course they dont really know morrissey like the fans do on here, we know his music is actually very healing, witty and uplifting! Absolutly wonderfull ! :)

The mans a genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Id love 2 know when his auto biography is coming out tho!
And wud like it released in audio CD format 2, just like patti smiths, but it MUST be read by morrissey himself plz !

My son and daugter love morrissey! well they,ve been brought up with his music all there lives!
Come 2 mention it, theres not a day that goes by that we dont talk about morrissey! :)
When ever we go 2 a morrissey and kristeen young concert my son and daugher allways come with us! they just cant resist a morrissey concert!
The anticipation and exitement waiting 4 morrissey and kristeen 2 appear on stage - awwww its the best part of the experience! :thumb:

My daugher actually plays the keyboards! shes fantastic! , but not in the same class as kristeen of course! LOL :)

My mum was a big fan of morrissey 2! :)

Ive never actually come accoss anyone who actually dislikes morrissey!
(well apart from some of the trolls who post on this website! :( )
The only slightly negative feed back Ive had from some people is when they giggle and say "his music is so deppressing" but of course they dont really know morrissey like the fans do on here, we know his music is actually very healing, witty and uplifting! Absolutly wonderfull ! :)

The mans a genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Id love 2 know when his auto biography is coming out tho!
And wud like it released in audio CD format 2, just like patti smiths, but it MUST be read by morrissey himself plz !

Really nice post. :)

None of my family are Morrissey fans although, much to their credit, my brothers and my mum have all made the effort for my sake, but he just isn't for them. Some of my friends are "casual Morrissey fans", insofar as they like some of the singles and might even own a "hits" CD. I've even gone to see Morrissey live with two of these casual fans, and they both thoroughly enjoyed it. Back in the days when I had a "significant other" to speak of, she made the effort to like Morrissey and The Smiths. But, while she probably liked some of the singles, I don't think she ever really cared for Morrissey's music all that much. But it was certainly nice that she made the effort for me.

I became a fan when I was in highschool, and I didn't really have any friends that liked The Smiths/Morrissey. I definitely pushed, making mix CD's and whatnot. But it never quite caught on with any of them. One friend was adamantly against Morrissey, needless to say we are not friends anymore (though it was because she was a raging bitch, not because of her dislike of the music). ;)

One friend from highschool, who I'm now really close to, did end up coming around and he's my Morrissey tour buddy pretty much. We saw him for the YOR tour, and when he reschedules The Orange Peel he'll be with me again, making sure I'm up front this time. :)

I had a huge crush on this guy my first year of college. I was doing some hardcore projecting because he looked like a young Morrissey and was a literature major (I borrowed his copy of The Picture of Dorian Gray). Seriously, you know those pictures of Morrissey when he was like in his late teens early twenties and hadn't yet developed the quiff? Swear to god, doppelganger. I ruined that one, obviously.

tumblr_m55k5qJjhw1qco16mo1_400.jpg

That.

Anyway, as far as family...I think my mother is quite amused with Morrissey, she seems to giggle and blush when he's mentioned and always reminds me when he's going to be on TV. I think my father is more than perplexed, and probably a little worried, that his daughter is obsessed with an effeminate British man who is now in his 50's. He helped my addiction by buying various Smiths or Morrissey CD's for me when I was younger, so I guess he's not too bothered with it.

As for significant others? I'm a Morrissey fan so it's pretty obvious I don't have any. :cool:

That's cool.

One thing I find interesting is how when people don't like him, they don't just not like him, they actually feel uncomfortable when he sings. I love that. I kind of use it as my litmus test for determining if someone is an asshole...if they don't like Morrissey or they don't like Woody Allen, then they are probably to be avoided. Not because of taste differences -that much is fine- but because if what those artists represent is reprehensible to someone, that's a red flag in my book.

Haha, yes. Good rules to live by. Pretty sure Woody Allen is my spirit animal. :)

Back
Top Bottom