Are you scared about this?

Interesting, I like. I believe in an afterlife myself. And may I ask, what do you do that you've seen hundreds of people die in peace? Gosh, I go from playing hangman to this -what a contrast...

Anyway, Mozzy1 -not a silly question at all. I think it's something everyone thinks about at some point or another. It's only natural.

I went thru a period in my life in grade school when it was all I could think about. I don't know why, at the time my grandparents were alive and well and nobody I knew had passed (tho my gramps was about to have ALS -hmm, premonition?) but I was so consumed with worrying about dying -in and of itself- that it contributed to my insomnia (this was right around the time I got into late night football -go Steelers =o) and I don't know what snapped me out of it, but I was cool until my poli-sci class in High School... and we were talking about nuclear war and inwardly, I was freaking out like it could happen tomorrow. Very much a wake-up call -not so much to self but life as we know it... and I think this is why I made the "Revolution" video for my A/V project... I've had a couple of friends pass in college and that hit me pretty hard -someone my age, that close to me dying- but I think I was young enough to somehow deny and let it roll off my back (after the initial grieving, of course)...

anyway... I don't think about death too much but when my step-dad passed 8 years ago, it brought it to the forefront of my mind again. Coincidentally, it was THEN that I decided to be cremated as well. Anyway, I have since found a wonderful church home and tho I have always been a spiritual person, I am much more closer to God/Jesus -or whatever the powers that be are- and on one hand, I am fine and firm with my beliefs and those of the afterlife but on the other hand, I do still think about my mortality from time to time -that death clock didn't help :rolleyes: plus I think having children makes you think about it more often. The thought of THEM being without a mother or growing up to know me literally kills me.

I just hope I am living the life that was intended for me and making a difference so that my life will not have been in vain. I will say that I don't stress about death on a daily basis -I'm a fairly optimistic person- and I'd like to think that I do -or strive to- live each day to it's fullest as much as that's possible. Don't worry about tomorrow for today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday :)

edit: oh yeah. I hope I go 'peacefully'

I didn't say people die in peace, I said death is a state of complete peace.

I don't believe in an afterlife or a god.

I am the manager of a dementia/nursing unit.

I didn't say people die in peace, I said death is a state of complete peace.

I don't believe in an afterlife or a god.

I am the manager of a dementia/nursing unit.

Gotcha, on all accounts & duly noted. :)
You are a very strong and caring person to be in that profession.

Last edited:
I actually think about death alot. my own and others. i play out how mine might happen. and i think about other people dying and how i would feel. i guess im just morbid like that.

Guaranteed that board game would'nt even outsell totopoly

Last edited:
Tonight I was shopping at the Salvation Army and this old man said it was his birthday and that he is 88. He said that he probably won't have many more and we all gave it our best shot to convince him that he had a long way to go. He actually seems pretty healthy and alert.

Anyway, he left and this young woman that works there, about 21, said that she is afraid of death and that she thinks about it and what happens when you die.

Then this older lady, about 50, said that she is not afraid of death but she thinks about how she will die. She said, "I don't want to be kidnapped and tortured, or murdered." She went on with a list of things she didn't want and then started talking about, "If the store got robbed and they wanted you to go in the back, would you go? I wouldn't, because you know they are going to kill you. They would have to drag me to the back!"

It was really amazing, because they were both getting into this death and murder scenario, and then it was time to bring the bicycles inside. I said I would do it, and she says "Good! I don't want to go outside now."

Well, sorry, there is no point to this. It was just strange, and it all started with this old man's comment about being old.

The only time I think of death is when we are trapped in that f***ing tunnel beneath the East River every day on the way to work. The Long Island Railroad is ridiculous. We can put man on the moon but cannot provide service when there is any form of condensation. Anytime we are stuck due to a "police investigation" or "police action" the nervous level of everyone on the train drastically increases.

That's kind of nuts when I think of how fast my life has flown by so far and I'm still nowhere close to where or who I want to be. I still feel like a kid inside, yet I'm gonna be thirty. LOL

That's what scares me. How life is flying by at such an accelerated pace as I get older. A decade seems like nothing now.

I usually feel quite afraid of dying when I dwell on it too much. I find it hard to understand how some people don't feel afraid of it. But at least it's a motivator. And I can't feel too sorry for myself since - comparitively speaking - I have to realize I was sort of a lottery winner at birth and have had the luxury of living in a better situation than most people on earth today and in human history. Probably the same is true of the majority here. If you live in one of the nicer, freer countries in the 21st century and have your health, you really can't ask for more. I suspect that not long after I die human civilization will go to hell anyway, and I don't wanna be here for that. If, OTOH, they tweak the ageing gene after I die and people start living 150 years and they all can have virtual reality sex with anyone they want all day and night long, well, I don't wanna know that that might be coming and I was born too soon.

Last edited:
That's what scares me. How life is flying by at such an accelerated pace as I get older. A decade seems like nothing now.

I know...tell me about it, and come Tuesday it is 2008. Where does time go?

I suspect that not long after I die human civilization will go to hell anyway, and I don't wanna be here for that.

I also think this too, it seems like we are gravitating closer and closer to the end of civilization everyday. It makes me scared to have children when I'm a bit older...

Also, I am though a strong believer in some sort of afterlife. I'm by no means religious, and don't believe in a heaven or hell, but I do believe there is some third dimension after life and death. Before I moved to uni, I began going with some friends to a spiritualist church on the clairvoyancy evenings. Yeah, I know there is heavy debate about the authenticity of such things, but the stuff that went on, what was said to people and how people reacted, I just couldn't completely not believe in it. It only furthered my interest and belief in some sort of afterlife. On some occasions it became very upsetting, primarily because many of the people there had gone because they had lost someone, and were still in the grieving period. Then when these people received their messages, particularly from children, it was very awful to watch how they reacted, usually crying or distressed.

I used to believe that once we are gone, we are gone. We are consumed by the earth and that's the end of it. However, I think if this is the case, we have all been quite cheated.

Have you ever just laid in your bed at night, alone & realized that we are all mortals? Meaning, that we're all going to die.

Have you ever been just scared even thinking about how it will happen to you? Have you thought of your funeral?

Last night, it was scary. Maybe it was b/c I was watching Ghost Hunters on TV & just thinking of the future. It was like, I realized then & there, that I'm going to die, just as everyone around me is. It's just scary to think about how it will happen, the funeral & the future from there.

It's weird about our mortality....what do you think? That's why we need to live it up, but not go broke or hurt others in the process...Maybe 2008 will be a kick -a$$ year!!!

Hey, I really like that, I think things will be great in 2008.
Having lost my father not that long ago, I really try not to dwell on the whole mortality thing you know, because it's only for the people
left behind to think about when someone dies. The whole thing is a mystery and being on this side of life I'm sure we are not supposed to understand other realms. That's also why I personally find drug experimentation (especially LSD and trips) quite nasty because people are trying to enter other worlds that they are not meant to see yet.
I also believe it is possible to f*** up your astral body and/or your karma.
Don't know why I got so deep, having a child makes you keenly aware
of your own mortality and probably even more protective of your
remaining years. When I think about it I wish I could live to be one hundred.
You know, my son said to me that he didn't think it fair that people die
and I wish there was an easier way so I guess we have to just
try to live as best as we can......

I know...tell me about it, and come Tuesday it is 2008. Where does time go?

I also think this too, it seems like we are gravitating closer and closer to the end of civilization everyday. It makes me scared to have children when I'm a bit older...

Also, I am though a strong believer in some sort of afterlife. I'm by no means religious, and don't believe in a heaven or hell, but I do believe there is some third dimension after life and death. Before I moved to uni, I began going with some friends to a spiritualist church on the clairvoyancy evenings. Yeah, I know there is heavy debate about the authenticity of such things, but the stuff that went on, what was said to people and how people reacted, I just couldn't completely not believe in it. It only furthered my interest and belief in some sort of afterlife. On some occasions it became very upsetting, primarily because many of the people there had gone because they had lost someone, and were still in the grieving period. Then when these people received their messages, particularly from children, it was very awful to watch how they reacted, usually crying or distressed.

I used to believe that once we are gone, we are gone. We are consumed by the earth and that's the end of it. However, I think if this is the case, we have all been quite cheated.

Clairvoyance is a cheap carny trick, magician Derren Brown is one of the best 'clairvoyants' in the business and regularly fools crowds before telling them he is a 'con-man' just like all the others. Sadly, some of these poor souls refuse to believe him when he tells them it is a trick, such is their desire to believe.

When I was younger death passed me by. I saw the people around me mourning but didn't feel anything, and somehow thought I should. But I didn't. It may be different now, I'm not looking forward to finding out.

I don't want to die feeling like I havn't made the most of my opportunities.

We are all made of matter, energy holds us together. We die. The matter is transformed, the energy disperses. I don't believe we live on as a distinct personality, spirit, in another world. Yet I believe we are sensitive to unseen energy and that can be interpreted, by those who want to, as "ghosts" or whatever it is they need.

People want to live on. A reason to have children, to leave something of ourselves to continue on earth....? Why artists create, writers scribble and singers/musicians give us something to remember.

Ultimately, though,

"We only endure in the memories of the living - don't forget me.."

Have you ever just laid in your bed at night, alone & realized that we are all mortals? Meaning, that we're all going to die.

Have you ever been just scared even thinking about how it will happen to you? Have you thought of your funeral?

Last night, it was scary. Maybe it was b/c I was watching Ghost Hunters on TV & just thinking of the future. It was like, I realized then & there, that I'm going to die, just as everyone around me is. It's just scary to think about how it will happen, the funeral & the future from there.

It's weird about our mortality....what do you think? That's why we need to live it up, but not go broke or hurt others in the process...Maybe 2008 will be a kick -a$$ year!!!

I've had a few people die on me so.....

Yes I think about this ALOT and I'm really quite terrified by it.Because Unless you believe in an afterlife, death is the end,you cease to be,you don't exist anymore...(you get my point) the only thing that will live on is the memory of you and one day,that too, will die simply because other people,people who knew you will die too. Which is totally depressing...:o
But I say f*** it, in light of this knowledge isn't it all the more reason to live NOW and stop worrying about the things you can't control? ;) Even going broke wouldn't bother me to be honest,nothing is important,nothing matters..not in the end since,erm..well we're all going to pop off sooner or later...
I think I need a lie down :p

Happy new year

Last edited:
I`m not scared of dying.I am scared of outliving my children though.that would be just awful.

I've had a few people die on me so.....

Yes I think about this ALOT and I'm really quite terrified by it.Because Unless you believe in an afterlife, death is the end,you cease to be,you don't exist anymore...(you get my point) the only thing that will live on is the memory of you and one day,that too, will die simply because other people,people who knew you will die too. Which is totally depressing...:o
But I say f*** it, in light of this knowledge isn't it all the more reason to live NOW and stop worrying about the things you can't control? ;) Even going broke wouldn't bother me to be honest,nothing is important,nothing matters..not in the end since,erm..well we're all going to pop off sooner or later...
I think I need a lie down :p

Happy new year

Welcome, Ms Ann Thrope,

Yes, to make the most of every day, and to stop fretting about the past or worrying about possible futures. Just be. Now.

I keep a skull in my room to remind me, yet I still waste the hours, fret and frown,
I suppose I don't dwell on Death too much because I would rather be motivated by joy than by fear...

and in music and art I find some happiness..

Back
Top Bottom