Are women and men on different tracks when it comes to their favourite music?

Dude, the last guitar work I recorded was on an Ibanez EDB600 which I ran into a Zoom multi-effects (pedal board) with a rack-mounted Line 6 POD patched through the Zoom's external effects loop. The flange and the delay on the Zoom were fantastic, but the POD had a superior distortion.

Not a very high-end guitar, but I got a beautiful, warm, aggressive spectrum out of that set-up.

I was in an old record store earlier today, breathing in that intoxicating vinyl-and-cardboard smell.

You my new guuurl...word!!

:guitar:

Just cuz I didn't do cord whips doesn't mean I didn't used to growl into the microphone...

I meant that shit!!

Oh, this is soooooo true.

I really like to listen to music made by cute guys. They are like secret boyfriends who sing just for me. :love:

I like to get together with my girlfriends and we listen to our favorite music and dance around the room laughing and crying and hugging and talking about our feelings. Then we talk about what band members we would marry, and which ones are just gross.

Sometimes I like to listen to female singers, too, and I want to be just like them. I really like it when they sing about love and being sad, because it makes me cry and I feel all emotional and I know that they know just how I feel. Sometimes when they sing about being strong, it makes me feel strong, too. It's like having a girlfriend or a sister who knows all your secrets. :sweet:

I don't understand about amplifiers and recording studios and guitars. All those technical words and numbers are confusing. I don't like old record stores either because they are dirty and I don't know how play records, anyway. Who cares about all that creepy old stuff?

i enjoyed reading this.

Agree with Kewpie that their analysis is seriously limited!:thumb:

Love what they are classifying as the 'intellectual side' of music,- "the tracks, where albums have been made, that sort of thing." - really high brow stuff then - they're taking the piss!
As for the comments on 'the way men talk' - if only we could classify an entire population in such a way! Culture, history, circumstance, class and so many other things determine and structure our reactions to music (and even what we consider musc to be). It's daft to reduce this to a dichotomy of M/F reactions. I'd say a pluralistic attitude to the assessment of reaction to music is probably more appropriate! Quite an appalling article really - but i think it was written with a sly smile, not to be taken seriously - in which case it's mighty funny.:p

Ceteris paribus, i do often listen to my Moz albums with an 'order of shagability' in my head for the band members! (Boz, Matt, Solomon, Jesse, Gustavo is my current order from last tour - no i didn't forget Moz, you shouldn't have such impure thoughts about such a divine creature) tee hee.... Plus, my partner insists that my ears are painted on, and that if a band are unattractive i won't like their music - quite true. I remember hearing The Killers support Stellastar at King Tut's in Glasgow - when i heard them, they were awesome, but when i finally wangled my way into the crowd to see them... i wasn't half put off!!!:lbf:

I am kidding!!!!!;)

Caitlin Moran wrote:

Well, it’s 15 years later, and I still can’t really have a conversation where I go: “Ah, Ahmet Ertegun!” in a knowing manner.

But what I have learnt is that I don’t need to. It doesn’t actually matter. That’s how men talk about music. They treat discussions about popular culture like it’s some secret nerd-battle, where you use your superior arsenal of trivial facts to prove that you love the Clash more than anyone else around the table at the time.

Women, on the other hand, prove that they love a song by either screaming: “I love this song!” and getting up and dancing to it, or wailing: “I love this song!” and bursting into tears. Women make jokes about the band’s hair, drink a shot of tequila for each time Rihanna sings the word “umbrella”, and work out in which order they would have sex with the band lineup – a popular, diverting game known as “Shag Order”.

That is, quite obviously, the more pure response to music.​

Not saying Caitlin is right or wrong. But it would be interesting to substitute the name "Johnny Marr" for "men" and "Morrissey" for "women" and see how it reads. Aside from the chuckle of Morrissey liking Rihanna and the shagging game, I mean. Insight into The Smiths? Mr. Eighteen-Layer Tracks Recorded With Eighteen Different Instruments joining up with Mr. Two Takes And I'm Off For Tea?

(Apply index finger to chin.)

It's an old stereotype, men/rational women/emotional, and it is sometimes true, as stereotypes sometimes are. I'm not sure I see the value in reinforcing this viewpoint, but I'll admit I would consider it if I was trying to market a band to specific audiences.

anybody else catch the your arsenal for the picture of that other article are record companies dying?

Oh, this is soooooo true.

I really like to listen to music made by cute guys. They are like secret boyfriends who sing just for me. :love:

I like to get together with my girlfriends and we listen to our favorite music and dance around the room laughing and crying and hugging and talking about our feelings. Then we talk about what band members we would marry, and which ones are just gross.

Sometimes I like to listen to female singers, too, and I want to be just like them. I really like it when they sing about love and being sad, because it makes me cry and I feel all emotional and I know that they know just how I feel. Sometimes when they sing about being strong, it makes me feel strong, too. It's like having a girlfriend or a sister who knows all your secrets. :sweet:

I don't understand about amplifiers and recording studios and guitars. All those technical words and numbers are confusing. I don't like old record stores either because they are dirty and I don't know how play records, anyway. Who cares about all that creepy old stuff?

it's so sad that people like this actually exist :tears: this world...i did lol though

It's disappointing sometimes how even intelligent people can go along with these stereotypes, particularly the "if you are a woman, you must fancy the musician you admire" assumption. As a (crap) guitarist, my hero is Jimmy Page - for his music. I was excited to learn Page was coming to my town awhile back to participate in a charity auction. This guy that I liked at the time said, "You must be very open-minded, sexually. He's so much older than you." After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I explained that I admire Page as a guitarist and producer, but that I wasn't interested in shagging him. Sheesh. Disillusionment city.

It's disappointing sometimes how even intelligent people can go along with these stereotypes, particularly the "if you are a woman, you must fancy the musician you admire" assumption.

...although, notably, the longest running and most frequently viewed and replied-to thread on this site is...

Last edited:
The frink thread! I don't think it's just women who fancy him tho, right?

The frink thread! I don't think it's just women who fancy him tho, right?

i suppose that's true, but take a look at the list of people who have replied to that thread. its composition is almost completely female.

Back
Top Bottom