Are the other three smiths members vegans?

scaveman

Did i sing in tune?
I was watching marr's web page and he designed some sportshoes made of leather and this question came up to me... wasn't he vegan? what about rourke and joyce? at least vegetarians? i don't know...

I was watching marr's web page and he designed some sportshoes made of leather and this question came up to me... wasn't he vegan? what about rourke and joyce? at least vegetarians? i don't know...

no...i heard moz dropped the rule about being a vegan in order to be in his little band...;)

As far as I am aware, Rourke and Joyce were never vegetarians, but Morrissey asked them not to eat meat in front of him and to try to avoid being photographed eating meat.

Marr said about a year ago that he has been a vegetarian since around 1983, and is now a vegan because he doesn't like eating dairy foods which make him feel 'sluggish', or something to that effect. Do you know for certain that the shoes are made of leather? I'm sure there are some good quality leather alternatives on the market now.

I'm pretty sure both Andy and Mike are vegetarians, and have been since their Smith days. I seem to remember Mike mentioning something about it on 'Inside The Smiths.' Could be wrong...

Coiff.

Yeah, Morrissey has never been a vegan.

I remember reading an interview Mike a few years back and he was still a vegetarian then. I'm not sure about Andy cos he said he used to eat meat at home even during the meat is murder days. Morrissey isn't a vegan he said on the Russell Brand radio show as he has simple tastes like 'chocolate and crips'.

Last edited:
I remember reading an interview Mike a few years back and he was still a vegetarian then. I'm not sure about Andy cos he said he used to eat meat at home even during the meat is murder days. Morrissey isn't a vegan he said on the Russell Brand radio show as he has simple tastes like 'chocolate and crips'.

Lol! I presume you mean crisps, not crips, although that would account for his empathy for gang culture.

"Chocolate and crisps" aren't simple tastes, they're what my two little boys (and my husband, for that matter) would eat for all three meals if I let them!

And I feel compelled to point out that there are no members of The Smiths. The Smiths were a band that broke up twenty years ago this summer... there are four men who used to be in that band. ;)

I've always wondered why Morrissey is not vegan. He is such a staunch defender of animal rights and is so vocal against animal cruelty, how does he reconcile this. No judgement, I struggle with this too, just wondering if he has ever spoke out about the vegan thing.

I've just seen Inside The Smiths, y' know, the new DVD, & as I got it both Mike & Andy are vegetarians. Mike says he'd been a vegetarian since '85, & after discussing the issue of eating meat with the other members of the band. Apparently, Morrissey convinced him.
I don't know about Johnny, but I just remember him performing the song, Meat Is Murder, not just as a ,guitarst but also a vocalist which made me wonder if he really was a vegetarian, or just performing a beautiful tune. But now, I suppose he is. Cudweed

Lol! I presume you mean crisps, not crips, although that would account for his empathy for gang culture.

"Chocolate and crisps" aren't simple tastes, they're what my two little boys (and my husband, for that matter) would eat for all three meals if I let them!

And I feel compelled to point out that there are no members of The Smiths. The Smiths were a band that broke up twenty years ago this summer... there are four men who used to be in that band. ;)

haha yes, i did mean crisps :o, unless first of the gang to die is closer to home than we think :D

I've just seen Inside The Smiths, y' know, the new DVD, & as I got it both Mike & Andy are vegetarians. Mike says he'd been a vegetarian since '85, & after discussing the issue of eating meat with the other members of the band. Apparently, Morrissey convinced him.
I don't know about Johnny, but I just remember him performing the song, Meat Is Murder, not just as a ,guitarst but also a vocalist which made me wonder if he really was a vegetarian, or just performing a beautiful tune. But now, I suppose he is. Cudweed

Actually on that DVD Mike says he is a vegetarian but Andy avoids the question. I think he eats meat,

Johnny is eating yogurt in the article that was posted the other day, so he's not vegan. And half of Morrissey's songs are about cheeze.

Verdict? No vegans, 3 veggies, one unknown.

Next up? Which members of New Order have drug dependencies?

Good summation Dave. I don't know if I can, in good conscience, support Morrissey's enslavement of animals for his own comfort. Theoretically any money I give him could be used for the evil cheese or, heaven forbid, butter. :eek: If he wants any more money from me he shall have to straighten up his act. Does anybody here know if Ingrid Newkirk is also a slave to the demon cheddar?

Sorry to out you Andy. When Mike and Andy were playing with Vinny Peculiar in Edinburgh, Andy asked me to take him to the nearest decent Pizza take away. He bought pizzas for the band, myself and he one for himself with flesh on it. He then told me of his experiences when on tour with The Smiths and his failings as I will call them, about consuming flesh. His honesty was incredible and our chats will remain forever with me as a private.

Mike told me how Morrissey's lyrics to Meat is murder turned him vegetarian and he remains so. My chats with him regarding The Smiths, Morrissey and himself will also always remain private. You may be surprised to hear just how much respect he has for Morrissey and how much Moz has influenced him to this day. Mike is rightly extremely proud of The Smiths. That isn't to say Andy or Craig aren't. Just to highlight how proud Mike came across to me.

We did speak about the court case. It would have been harder to avoid but I was uncomfortable about it as my attitude has always been that what should be private between The smiths should be private between them. After all, The Smiths to me was about the songs. It is just such a shame that money changes everything. The court case damaged everyone involved, including in my opinion the fans.

I feel it must be said that each time I've met Andy, Mike and Craig they have been ambassadors to The Smiths legacy and incredibly nice people to everyone they meet. Mike is actually one of the nicest people I've ever met. It hurts me personally that a rift occurred between him and Morrissey. I've met many people who worked at various levels with Morrissey during the Smiths and his solo career. Every one of them, their friends and their family have been extraordinarily nice with me. This would include my brief meetings with Johnny and Morrissey. This has been. ... emotional to write. I know I'm wandering off the subject. This is what I'd calling typing my thoughts. I may regret posting this. The dangerous of my spontaneous nature.

From jmarr.com:

"Johnny Marr designed the PF Flyers Center Lo sneaker himself in luxurious dark blue leather with black accents. To top off this collaboration, Marr’s signature is laser etched on the tongue of each and every shoe. Only 108 pairs of this limited-edition sneaker will be available in the US and another 108 pairs in the UK will be available starting July 10th, 2007."
may07042007.jpg

i feel dissapointed (truly dissapointed) about morrissey not being vegan, well, that's his choice, of course, but he fights so agressively against that "factories", IAMS and so on... how come he doesn't know that to milk a cow hurts? it's a fact actually.

Does anybody know if i can mail him to represent these points to him? i mean via TTY or something else, writing a letter to someplace, i don't know.

as i said before, i'm feeling dissapointed, so, THIS IS THE LAST POST I WILL EVER POST!

Naaah, i've changed my mind :p

Good night and thank you for your answers guys!

Sorry to out you Andy. When Mike and Andy were playing with Vinny Peculiar in Edinburgh, Andy asked me to take him to the nearest decent Pizza take away. He bought pizzas for the band, myself and he one for himself with flesh on it. He then told me of his experiences when on tour with The Smiths and his failings as I will call them, about consuming flesh. His honesty was incredible and our chats will remain forever with me as a private.

Mike told me how Morrissey's lyrics to Meat is murder turned him vegetarian and he remains so. My chats with him regarding The Smiths, Morrissey and himself will also always remain private. You may be surprised to hear just how much respect he has for Morrissey and how much Moz has influenced him to this day. Mike is rightly extremely proud of The Smiths. That isn't to say Andy or Craig aren't. Just to highlight how proud Mike came across to me.

We did speak about the court case. It would have been harder to avoid but I was uncomfortable about it as my attitude has always been that what should be private between The smiths should be private between them. After all, The Smiths to me was about the songs. It is just such a shame that money changes everything. The court case damaged everyone involved, including in my opinion the fans.

I feel it must be said that each time I've met Andy, Mike and Craig they have been ambassadors to The Smiths legacy and incredibly nice people to everyone they meet. Mike is actually one of the nicest people I've ever met. It hurts me personally that a rift occurred between him and Morrissey. I've met many people who worked at various levels with Morrissey during the Smiths and his solo career. Every one of them, their friends and their family have been extraordinarily nice with me. This would include my brief meetings with Johnny and Morrissey. This has been. ... emotional to write. I know I'm wandering off the subject. This is what I'd calling typing my thoughts. I may regret posting this. The dangerous of my spontaneous nature.

Good post, 23rd.

Back
Top Bottom