Arctic Monkeys reveals The Smiths as a key influence on 'Suck It And See'

Arctic Monkeys reveal The Smiths as a key influence on 'Suck It And See' - NME.com

Excerpt:

Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner has revealed that there is a strong influence from The Smiths on the band's latest album 'Suck It And See'.

Speaking to BBC 6Music, Turner said that though he wasn't consciously attempting to channel The Smiths while writing 'Suck It And See', he didn't mind if people compared his band's new record to the Manchester legends.

He said: "I love The Smiths. I don't know if I was listening to a great deal of it while I was writing this last record but I don't mind that coming through in our songs at all. The other influence we have from Manchester, I suppose, is John Cooper- Clarke and whilst I think his influence is really prevalent in that first record it also still hangs around in some of the couplets on this new Monkeys album as well."

Last edited by a moderator:
"he didn't mind if people compared his band's new record to the Manchester legends"

The nerve. Didn't they once ask "Who the f*** are the Arctic Monkey's?"

They arrived with impeccable style 'don't believe the hype....' Sadly, they are a band who believed their own hype and ceased to be relevant after the first album when they moved to London, or LA, or where ever, and started dating clothes horses.

Dave

I enjoy the monkeys, and also couldn't stop noticing the resemblence of some of the tracks of "Suck it and see" with Mozzer music

I like The Arctic Monkeys, and sometimes when I listen to their music it makes me think of solo Morrissey. The song "Only One Who Knows" always makes me think of Morrissey. I wonder if he likes solo Moz?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Arctic Monkeys reveals The Smiths as a key influence on 'Suck It And See

I like The Arctic Monkeys, and sometimes when I listen to their music it makes me think of solo Morrissey. The song "Only One Who Knows" always makes me think of Morrissey. I wonder if he likes solo Moz?

That's rather like "I'd Love To".

great album.

Re: Article: Arctic Monkeys reveals The Smiths as a key influence on 'Suck It And See

"he didn't mind if people compared his band's new record to the Manchester legends"

The nerve. Didn't they once ask "Who the f*** are the Arctic Monkey's?"

They arrived with impeccable style 'don't believe the hype....' Sadly, they are a band who believed their own hype and ceased to be relevant after the first album when they moved to London, or LA, or where ever, and started dating clothes horses.

Dave

Except they still live in Sheffield so you're wrong there

Back
Top Bottom