Aragon info was up on TM a little while ago...

Ticketmaster says the Presale begins Friday, 01/23/09 at 10:00 AM. Still nothing about the "local presale" today. :confused: I'm going to try/keep trying, anyway. I will be um, 'indisposed' on the 23rd at 10. :( :mad: There's always the public sale on the 24th...:rolleyes:

Ticketmaster says the Presale begins Friday, 01/23/09 at 10:00 AM. Still nothing about the "local presale" today. :confused: I'm going to try/keep trying, anyway. I will be um, 'indisposed' on the 23rd at 10. :( :mad: There's always the public sale on the 24th...:rolleyes:

I'll buy you a ticket on the 23rd if you want me to.

Yay! I have time to get my next paycheck, so I'll have money to buy a ticket!

Edit: Oh, the 23rd is a Friday, that's not good, I'll be in school!

Last edited:
My Dear Chicagoans,

Can we stop sounding like we are in pure "mope" mode here. The Aragon has a HUGE history with not only Morrissey, but with The Smiths as well. The Smiths played the Aragon for the Meat tour and the QID tour in the mid-eighties. Some GREAT memories that should have all Chicagoans wrapping their collective arms around this venue. The venues are what you make them and the people you surround yourselves with. I think most of you would enjoy Morrissey if he were playing at the local VFW-just make it a great night. If you are still hungup on the venue, how about the last tour at the Genese Theatre in Waukegan IL, are you kidding me?? The Aragon and its feel is so much more fitting for Morrissey. New Order played a one-off concert there a few years back and they mentioned how much this venue, and Chicago as a whole, reminded them of Manchester. Maybe Moz wants the same feel, or maybe he remembers the night in 86 when he walked out to a sold out crowd in Chicago. All in attendence sweating our collective butts off but enjoying every minute with stage rushes, Gladiolas, Beer Tossing at Marr, over-aggressive bouncers, and some hooligans from the UK fighting on the side of the stage.

Whether your case is for or against the Aragon, enjoy the show and appreciate the history.

Last edited:
i loved seeing morrissey at the aragon last time he was there! great venue in my opinion, regardless of the distance between the crowd and stage. i think it does suit morrissey very well and i can't wait to see him there again.

My Dear Chicagoans,

Can we stop sounding like we are in pure "mope" mode here. The Aragon has a HUGE history with not only Morrissey, but with The Smiths as well. The Smiths played the Aragon for the Meat tour and the QID tour in the mid-eighties. Some GREAT memories that should have all Chicagoans wrapping their collective arms around this venue. The venues are what you make them and the people you surround yourselves with. I think most of you would enjoy Morrissey if he were playing at the local VFW-just make it a great night. If you are still hungup on the venue, how about the last tour at the Genese Theatre in Waukegan IL, are you kidding me?? The Aragon and its feel is so much more fitting for Morrissey. New Order played a one-off concert there a few years back and they mentioned how much this venue, and Chicago as a whole, reminded them of Manchester. Maybe Moz wants the same feel, or maybe he remembers the night in 86 when he walked out to a sold out crowd in Chicago sweating our collective butts off but enjoying every minute with stage rushes, Gladiolas, Beer Tossing at Marr, over-aggressive bouncers, and some hooligans from the UK fighting on the side of the stage.

Whatever your case is for or against the Aragon, enjoy the show and appreciate the history.

Thanks, but big deal. I know the Smiths played there. I'm glad you were there. I wasn't, I lived somewhere else then. The point is, there are far better venues that provide better acoustics and better views for the audience. I'd be just as disappointed if he were playing the Congress Theater.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this. I'm not nineteen anymore. However, I'm sure I'll enjoy the show, if they will let me bring in my walker.

Thanks, but big deal. I know the Smiths played there. I'm glad you were there. I wasn't, I lived somewhere else then. The point is, there are far better venues that provide better acoustics and better views for the audience. I'd be just as disappointed if he were playing the Congress Theater.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this. I'm not nineteen anymore. However, I'm sure I'll enjoy the show, if they will let me bring in my walker.

That is it exactly, I am not 19 anymore either. But when I walk into that place it makes me feel that way and I cannot help but reflect on that time period. Feeling young, if just for a couple of hours, makes this growing old thing just a little more tolerable. I don't know who said it earlier, but I agree that the Vic is just about as perfect as a venue that you can get for a show this size, but the fact remains that the Aragon has history where many, many bands made their Chicago debuts (The Clash, U2, etc.). The acoustics at a Morrissey/Smith concert have more to do with who your standing next to than any sound system. The concert at the Genese I had a lovely lady singing every word. I took it all in, Morrissey in one ear and the stranger next to me in the other. It made for a great "acoustical" sandwich.

That is it exactly, I am not 19 anymore either. But when I walk into that place it makes me feel that way and I cannot help but reflect on that time period. Feeling young, if just for a couple of hours, makes this growing old thing just a little more tolerable. I don't know who said it earlier, but I agree that the Vic is just about as perfect as a venue that you can get for a show this size, but the fact remains that the Aragon has history where many, many bands made their Chicago debuts (The Clash, U2, etc.). The acoustics at a Morrissey/Smith concert have more to do with who your standing next to than any sound system. The concert at the Genese I had a lovely lady singing every word. I took it all in, Morrissey in one ear and the stranger next to me in the other. It made for a great "acoustical" sandwich.

I had a lady like that on my right.

Seriously, do you think they'll let me bring in my walker? ;)

I had a lady like that on my right.

Seriously, do you think they'll let me bring in my walker? ;)

Did you forget that we have met? You are much younger than me so I am going to have to say "no", because you don't need one. Now, if by chance you have been smacked by a double decker bus and need one to get around, then by all means please bring it in as I will piggy back on the way out. I always seem to need a walker getting out of shows lately. I think I might becoming a later in life lush....Hope life and all that stuff is treating you well.

Well, I kind of got smacked by a bus, metaphorically speaking. But I should be able to make it through the gig ok. My neck will likely be unhappy with me for going, though.

The Aragon is a cool place and the sound is good. I like the atmosphere in there with the Spanish village design, it's also the only place you can see stars in the City's 'sky' ;) The ceiling is awesome :guitar:

For a Morrissey show, it's a bit of a letdown in the sense of not being able to touch his hand. Kinda glad I got that out of my system in '07 :o I stood about 15 people back to see him in 2006 and was spot on, no neck craning ;). Sure, I'd love him to play the Vic, but he has his 'loyalties', I guess. I'd also agree he's much better suited to the majesty of the Aragon as opposed to the dinner theater feel of the Gennesse.

Post-show meet up at Uptown Lounge! In '06, the DJ played a lot of Moz muzik. :guitar: Uptown Lounge is on Lawrence (same side of the street), just west of the Aragon.

Last edited:
My Dear Chicagoans,

Can we stop sounding like we are in pure "mope" mode here. The Aragon has a HUGE history with not only Morrissey, but with The Smiths as well. The Smiths played the Aragon for the Meat tour and the QID tour in the mid-eighties. Some GREAT memories that should have all Chicagoans wrapping their collective arms around this venue. The venues are what you make them and the people you surround yourselves with. I think most of you would enjoy Morrissey if he were playing at the local VFW-just make it a great night. If you are still hungup on the venue, how about the last tour at the Genese Theatre in Waukegan IL, are you kidding me?? The Aragon and its feel is so much more fitting for Morrissey. New Order played a one-off concert there a few years back and they mentioned how much this venue, and Chicago as a whole, reminded them of Manchester. Maybe Moz wants the same feel, or maybe he remembers the night in 86 when he walked out to a sold out crowd in Chicago. All in attendence sweating our collective butts off but enjoying every minute with stage rushes, Gladiolas, Beer Tossing at Marr, over-aggressive bouncers, and some hooligans from the UK fighting on the side of the stage.

Whether your case is for or against the Aragon, enjoy the show and appreciate the history.

I thought that the Genesee Theatre was a fantastic venue for Morrissey--the sound quality was, in my opinion, just excellent. I could hear every word just beautifully.

The Aragon, however--I'm not sorry to say that I have nothing but contempt for it. I guess the building itself is fine--it's a pretty room, I'm not going to deny that. What absolutely ruined my last experience there were the employees and the other people in the audience. I was treated, by both groups, like the chewed gum on the bottoms of their shoes.

I sincerely hope that I won't have a comparable experience this time around.

Tags
boo hoo strider the king of gondor
Back
Top Bottom