Apparently "Maladjusted" is now free and possibly "Greatest Hits"

Buzzetta

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Universal became upset with iTunes and is in the process of pulling all of their music from iTunes. The publishing giant (?) reportedly wants a bigger piece of the pie and want to control more aspects of the iTunes store. To stick it to Jobs they are putting their catalog on a site called spiralfrog (http://www.spiralfrog.com) where you may download music for free but you have to see their advertisements.

You cannot download any music if you own a mac since the download cart only runs on windows based computers.

Furthermore it is open to to US / Canada residents only. That problem is easily solved for you. International users are welcome to claim residency at:
Empire State Building
350 5th Ave
New York, NY 10118

I mean doesn't the building belong to the world?

http://www.spiralfrog.com/download/album/311022/Maladjusted

Now the real question will be... does Apple/iTunes actually care? Methinks no. People are still paying $10 for the Radiohead album. Let's keep in mind that album too could technically have been purchased for nothing as well. The Record companies at this point are losing even more control as the years go by as they continue to cling to the old ways.

Anyway enjoy your free copy of Maladjusted if you do not have it. If you already do then perhaps this was useful for others.

Kewpie don't bury my thread. After all this is a Morrissey announcement in general discussion that an album has been made available in a new way.

I love it how 'In Rainbows' was meant to be statement against iTunes, then it ends up on there anyway. Dorks.

And as far as record companies having a go at Apple, they should be on their knees thanking them for providing people with a fast and efficient alternative to stealing music.

Remember, Apple makes zero profit on iTunes, and zero profit on any music sold on it. Record companies are just greedy and very, very jealous of what Apple has created.

I love it how 'In Rainbows' was meant to be statement against iTunes, then it ends up on there anyway. Dorks.

And as far as record companies having a go at Apple, they should be on their knees thanking them for providing people with a fast and efficient alternative to stealing music.

Remember, Apple makes zero profit on iTunes, and zero profit on any music sold on it. Record companies are just greedy and very, very jealous of what Apple has created.

who wouldn't be jealous? Apple (and Mac) are very smart and superfantastic. I know there are corporate haters and I am often one of them... but I adore my mac and find ITunes super easy and nice - now that tower is out of business... its the next best way.

I never read that In Rainbows was against iTunes. I thought it was more of an experiment to see if a band really needed a record contract with an intermediary company in order to distribute music to their fans. If Radiohead chooses to now use iTunes to distribute their music it doesn't mean that the experiment didn't work. They are still acting on their own behalf. It's not like they gave up and signed a contract with Sony.

I looked up what you wrote about Apple making zero profit on iTunes. What I found says that the iTunes store is coming closer to profitability, but still losing money. What they actually do make profit on is iPods, and this is why they are restrictive about format. So they take a loss on certain things, hoping that it will cut down on the competition. Sounds like Microsoft's old tricks of bundling software with new computers.

Record companies are greedy and did not invest in digital technology and new means of distribution until it was too late, and this allowed Apple a golden opportunity. But iTunes has many flaws for an old time consumer that is used to getting high quality sound files and not the reduced bitrate restrictive format product Apple sells, that can only be played on licensed computers. Or iPods.

But restricted music formats are also put in place to protect Apple's neck. With the amount of songs they are moving daily, would it be wise to sell DRM free music that can be re-distributed for free? It would be a nightmare. You think they are getting sued a lot now?

As far as sound quality goes, I tend to agree it's not perfect. I am a vinyl buff but I can't carry a turntable around on the train.

:guitar:

Last edited:
Much of apple's music is slowly becoming non restricted. To tell the truth, unless I am blasting the music as concert levels I do not notice a severe loss of quality.

But restricted music formats are also put in place to protect Apple's neck. With the amount of songs they are moving daily, would it be wise to sell DRM free music that can be re-distributed for free? It would be a nightmare. You think they are getting sued a lot now?

As far as sound quality goes, I tend to agree it's not perfect. I am a vinyl buff but I can't carry a turntable around on the train.

:guitar:

I meant that instead of selling mp3's they sell their own format. I think that the DRM thing is not their fault, but I could be wrong. I think that is at the request of the music companies.

edit: If it was DRM free, though, they couldn't really be sued. It's the same thing that is already happening now. You can get just about anything that you can find on iTunes for free if you don't mind taking the risk of downloading it. The fact that you can get 320kps files for free or pay for 128kbs files and only use them on certain players, and a limited number of machines means that this system still needs a little work.
Trent Reznor has experimented with offering an album at 198kps for free or a higher bitrate for $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant that instead of selling mp3's they sell their own format. I think that the DRM thing is not their fault, but I could be wrong. I think that is at the request of the music companies.

edit: If it was DRM free, though, they couldn't really be sued. It's the same thing that is already happening now. You can get just about anything that you can find on iTunes for free if you don't mind taking the risk of downloading it. The fact that you can get 320kps files for free or pay for 128kbs files and only use them on certain players, and a limited number of machines means that this system still needs a little work.
Trent Reznor has experimented with offering an album at 198kps for free or a higher bitrate for $5.

Another example is Tori Amos, who has also started selling "bootlegs" of her entire 2007 concert series. You can pay $10 for 128kbps, or $15/show for FLACs, IIRC. There are also steep volume discounts if you want to buy 5 shows, or the whole series. Would I pay a couple hundred or so for all of Moz's 2007 tour? Probably.

Another example is Tori Amos, who has also started selling "bootlegs" of her entire 2007 concert series. You can pay $10 for 128kbps, or $15/show for FLACs, IIRC. There are also steep volume discounts if you want to buy 5 shows, or the whole series. Would I pay a couple hundred or so for all of Moz's 2007 tour? Probably.

It gives the band a reason not to play the same set each night also. If Morrissey's entire tour had been professionally recorded at the soundboard and for sale, most of us would buy the show or shows we saw, and then the ones where he did songs we didn't hear. I wished I'd heard some of the songs he started playing later in the tour, like the show you recorded.
That's a good reason to keep going back, too. Some people would want every show. I download every one I can, but I am not really a collector. I know you like things organized and I rarely know which show I am listening to. Anyway, I think this is something that will become more common, but again, it won't work that well if they play the same set every night.

Same words I posted in another thread.

I would have bought THPGU this morning but it is not available in the digital format in the US Stores. iTunes did not have it. I questioned whether or not this was the first few releases that would not be allowed in the iTunes store as Decca is owned by Universal Music. I checked Amazon and they are not offering it either. Stupid music company - just cut it's nose off to spite it's face. Now I will not get it. I do not see the need to spend $12 in a $9 CD + S&H for a few b-sides I could have purchased for a couple of dollars.

Back
Top Bottom