"Anything could happen" - an interview with Morrissey - Free Press Houston

ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN: AN INTERVIEW WITH MORRISSEY - Free Press Houston
By David Garrick
...Now, after several rescheduled dates, he’s on his way back to Houston for an appearance at White Oak Music Hall. Free Press Houston was more than thrilled to get to talk to the legendary artist about his upcoming return to Houston.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things stuck out to me.

1) The 'journalist' lost all credibility when he said something to the effect that Jesse was fairly new with the band. I am glad Morrissey called him out on it. Do your homework, then ask the question.

2) The questions were longer than the answers. Never a sign of a good interview. To me, it shows the 'journalist' is more interested in hearing himself talk, or trying to impress the person he is interviewing, which leaves Morrissey less interested in giving a decent answer.

Paltry effort, and poor questions.

My prediction is no more then 5 new songs, but I'm not sure even Morrissey would lack the self-awareness to go out there and sing the same songs from the past 3 years.

Hope for the best, and hang the rest...

ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN: AN INTERVIEW WITH MORRISSEY - Free Press Houston
By David Garrick
...Now, after several rescheduled dates, he’s on his way back to Houston for an appearance at White Oak Music Hall. Free Press Houston was more than thrilled to get to talk to the legendary artist about his upcoming return to Houston.

CRAP INTERVIEW!!! There are all the same since he decided to make them via email...!!!Flat questions and pompous answers. Lighten up Moz!

" New versions of old songs ? " Are you taking the piss Acco ?

I would say re-invention. New Lawnmowers, new songs, new boyfriend etc etc.

Otherwise I'm afraid it's failed celebrity jungle for our boring old aged Steve.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

You're a f***ing moron. 21,000 tickets sold in 2 days! He's really in the 'failed celebrity jungle' category, isn't he? f*** off, you dimwit.

We'll see, but it's been reheated leftovers for much of the last what? 5 years? More?

We'll see, but it's been reheated leftovers for much of the last what? 5 years? More?

The set list has featured the same core ~12 songs since at least 2014, with several going back well before then. Yes, a number of songs do come and go (to get to about 18-20 per night), but the shows have largely felt samey for a long time. It's time for a total mix up.

But of course that won't happen. Yet I've got a ticket for a gig, so I guess the joke is on me.

World peace isn't even that old and he played a lot of that. Don't know who Briggs is but it's extremely funny to me to imagine morrissey nodding his head along to new noise and refused. On an aside there new one was sorta meh

The set list has featured the same core ~12 songs since at least 2014, with several going back well before then. Yes, a number of songs do come and go (to get to about 18-20 per night), but the shows have largely felt samey for a long time. It's time for a total mix up.

But of course that won't happen. Yet I've got a ticket for a gig, so I guess the joke is on me.

You're right. That's why I was so thrilled to hear that Jack the Ripper was back in the set lists last year....and yet it doesn't feel like enough. Ah, I'm complaining when I'd pay money to hear him read the Z section of the phonebook if only he'd come to Boston.

eh, i cant pretend anymore that the crumbs he lets fall are scintillating

I don't accept that Rifke!
You can do better.
The crumbs he lets fall are.
Which crumbs from who are so much more scintillating in comparison?
That jacket he wore was a scintillating crumb though for you? :p

This will sound terribly negative but.... "anything can happen" is less believable when he plays the same songs night after night. He should make an effort to mix things up, and do interesting new versions of old songs etc. The band is capable of way more than they do.
Amen to this^^^

So he likes the Briggs and Refused. Interesting.

I really hope someday he will say he likes a band, something, someone and despite everybody frantically searching and googling nothing is to be found. :)

I really hope someday he will say he likes a band, something, someone and despite everybody frantically searching and googling nothing is to be found. :)

Well just claim to know it anyway. Then we'll press up a fake copy and sell it as a warners release, that's how morrissey first heard of them (duh), that got pulled at the last min and sell it on eBay or here. We've got the inside info

Like Jobriath. A lot of the music Moz likes isn't to my taste/lack of taste. I found his 'Under The Influence' collection almost unlistenable. Weird really when I love all of Moz's music (except for Sweetie Pie).

I do think that he's been going through the motions since after Quarry. I love to see Moz in concert but would never squander my money and time queuing up night after night in the rain to see basically the same setlist ad nauseum. Moz seriously needs to mix it up and dip deeper into his fantastic repertoire and 'mean' it more on stage. I think he does too many, short, shallow concerts. He should do a Cure on it and do a three hour concert. Even once would be nice. I know I'm like a broken record.
Update: by 'mean it' I mean longer concert with fresh flow of songs, and different arrangements of old favourites. I said it with best intentions: Moz and band are capable of so much.

Last edited:
I do think that he's been going through the motions since after Quarry. I love to see Moz in concert but would never squander my money and time queuing up night after night in the rain to see basically the same setlist ad nauseum. Moz seriously needs to mix it up and dip deeper into his fantastic repertoire and 'mean' it more on stage. I think he does too many, short, shallow concerts. He should do a Cure on it and do a three hour concert. Even once would be nice. I know I'm like a broken record.

Still listenable. ;)
I can agree with your remarks about the set list.
But I don't think he is able to do a three hour show like the Cure.
I don't particular mind he does a 1 and a half hour show.
No less though. :o

Do you have the impression he does the shows purely on routine?
Maybe some, but as I watch the video footage of the unfinished tour I think many of them were very intense.
Cheers Acton!

How can he 'mean' it more than in these clips?

[video]

[video]

Maybe you're right. I'm probably suffering from not seeing him recently enough. Last time I saw him was World Peace tour in Ireland a couple of years ago so I could be suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom