Anyone watching Johnny at Glasto?

This actually made me cry (and not because of his voice, I got it in before you twits!). The crowd sings during the middle into the guitar outro and then the crowd continues to sing the chorus at 6:20 after everyone cheers. Truly amazing.

Absolutely magical, best performance of Glasto 2013. If only Marr & Mozza would regroup for a greatest hits tour i suppose one can wish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Radio, listen again.

These tracks sounded great on the radio (IMHO).

Stuart Maconie and the music news team bring you reports and live music from around the stages at Glastonbury 2013; including Everything Everything at the John Peel Stage, Calexico at the Park Stage and Public Enemy headlining the West Holts Stage.

'Grown men wept......'

Approx 1hr 34mins, Getting Away With It, followed by HSIN.
Approx 1hr 56mins, Bigmouth- no chat over track

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0368fnr

Mary Anne Hobbs

From the Pyramid Stage through to the Peel Stage, Mary Anne will be picking out some of the special live moments from Glastonbury yesterday and bringing the festival to soundtrack your breakfast.

Approx 47mins in, Getting Away With It, followed by HSIN.
No chat over both these tracks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0368g28

'it really was a choking up moment....'

TIALTNGO Maconie + Lamacq BBC6 Music 30-06-13, approx 141mins in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0368ktv

Last edited:
Actually, 'Patience of a Saint' was the Electronic song written about Morrissey, not 'Getting Away With It'.

Actually, 'Patience of a Saint' was the Electronic song written about Morrissey, not 'Getting Away With It'.

The first was Getting Away With It (written from Morrissey's point of view), the second was Miserablism, according to Tennant. Not heard anything about Patience of a Saint though.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/01/05/09/0818232.shtml

Neil Tennant said:
Miserablism:
"I think we wrote this in the beginning of 1990, during the shoe-gazing period, when Morrissey was huge as a solo artist. It's another song sort of written from the point of view of being Morrissey - the first song like that being 'Getting away with it', The Electronic single, which I wrote most of the words of. 'Getting away with it' is looking at Morrissey's persona of being miserable and all the rest of it, and saying that he's been getting away with it for years. It's meant to be humorous. 'Miserablism' is a satire, a little like 'How can you expect to be taken seriously?' What bugged me about the shoe-gazers always looking really miserable is that people think someone like that is really serious. It's something that endlessly bugs me in pop music - that someone with the style of being serious is always accepted as being serious. And also that anyone being playful is then not taken seriously, whereas actually being playful is actually more difficult than being 'serious', and possibly can end up being a lot more serious at the same time. The words to this song were inspired by someone telling me that they asked their father on his deathbed what it was like, and he said: 'is is, isn't isn't'. And I thought that was a great quote, and a very kind of miserablist way of looking at the world. There's no romance - the only thing that exists is what really exists."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Dave.

I'm so jealous with the lucky people who witnessed Nile and Johnny were playing together.

I heard some of this driving home from work and just watched the entire set on Youtube now with headphones. Have to say his guitar playing is still incredible and has lost nothing of its brilliance after all these years and even though his voice is not Morrissey's, his playing and the music of his band of those Smiths songs are the best live versions I've ever heard. So much depth and texture in his playing, and that sound!!

That performance of There is a Light was better than any time i've seen Moz do it, i felt every emotion go through my whole body when Johnny played it at Glasto.

Re:

The first was Getting Away With It (written from Morrissey's point of view), the second was Miserablism, according to Tennant. Not heard anything about Patience of a Saint though.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/01/05/09/0818232.shtml

Just now BBC 6 Music is broadcasting repeat of New Order documentary.

It had a comment from Neil Tennant on Getting Away With It.

You can listen again from iPlayer around 0:6:00.

That performance of There is a Light was better than any time i've seen Moz do it, i felt every emotion go through my whole body when Johnny played it at Glasto.

Don't know about the old wish that Johnny might walk on and play for a few numbers at the end of Moz's set, I think I'd like to see it the other way round now. Johnny looked totally in command of his band just like he was with the Smiths, and his band are superb musicians. The way he teased and built the audience up on this performance of There Is a Light then he tore through that amazing guitar riff at the end and the place went mental.

Don't know about the old wish that Johnny might walk on and play for a few numbers at the end of Moz's set, I think I'd like to see it the other way round now. Johnny looked totally in command of his band just like he was with the Smiths, and his band are superb musicians. The way he teased and built the audience up on this performance of There Is a Light then he tore through that amazing guitar riff at the end and the place went mental.
With all this talk of Moz wandering on stage and taking over vocal duties, I wonder if Marr plays the old songs in the same key as Moz sings them.

Back
Top Bottom