Anyone know if theres a Linn LM-1 drum machine version of This Charming Man available

coffee_king

Hey all
"Word on da streetz" (aka Wikipedia) states that an early version of This Charming Man used the sounds from a Linn LM-1 drum machine.

"Mike Joyce does not play drums on this version of "This Charming Man". The drums were originally programmed on a Linn Drum Computer, by session drummer Peter Boita under the direction of producer John Porter. Peter Boita then sampled a live drum kit, drum by drum, into an AMS digital reverb unit. His Linn Drum programme then triggered out the sampled sounds of the live drum kit from the AMS, thus creating a very realistic live sounding performance."

I have heard that said before in various books as well.

Does anyone know if this version is available anywhere? I'd love to hear how it sounds.
This is a Linn LM-1 by the way
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images.../6/22/1245685612924/Linn-drum-machine-001.jpg

awesome eh.
Thanks

Re: Anyone know if theres a Linn LM-1 drum machine version of This Charming Man avail

Anyone? If not I was thinking of knocking up a version of it myself from various source material.

Re: Anyone know if theres a Linn LM-1 drum machine version of This Charming Man avail

Actually, what on earth is this post doing in "Marketplace"? I'm sure I didnt put it in this forum?
Can it be moved to a more appropriate forum please?
Thanks

"Mike Joyce does not play drums on this version of "This Charming Man". The drums were originally programmed on a Linn Drum Computer, by session drummer Peter Boita under the direction of producer John Porter. Peter Boita then sampled a live drum kit, drum by drum, into an AMS digital reverb unit. His Linn Drum programme then triggered out the sampled sounds of the live drum kit from the AMS, thus creating a very realistic live sounding performance."

That's an interesting tidbit I did not know.

That's an interesting tidbit I did not know.

Having heard the drums track solo'd of TCM (Kick, Snare & Overheads) I'm not entirely sure this is correct. The timing of the song is all over the shop and this isn't something you would find a drum machine is capable of. It may have ORIGINALLY been recorded with a Linn LM-1 but the most well known version has a "Live" drum element. Its is definitely there and its not from the Linn-LM1 having its beats replaced note for note with samples.

Having heard the drums track solo'd of TCM (Kick, Snare & Overheads) I'm not entirely sure this is correct. The timing of the song is all over the shop and this isn't something you would find a drum machine is capable of. It may have ORIGINALLY been recorded with a Linn LM-1 but the most well known version has a "Live" drum element. Its is definitely there and its not from the Linn-LM1 having its beats replaced note for note with samples.

Even the sampling of a live drum kit, drum by drum as you mentioned seems like it would be quite an extensive procedure for what was at the time an up-and-coming guitar-based indie band. If this is true, I wonder why this was done. Mike was out sick perhaps, and they were in a tight spot the day of recording? Curious.

Its definitely played live in my opinion as you can hear some spill from the other drum parts and also you can hear the actin of the kick pedal moving sometimes.

Its definitely played live in my opinion as you can hear some spill from the other drum parts and also you can hear the actin of the kick pedal moving sometimes.

...well that's not in question.

...well that's not in question.
Apologies but this question turned into a discussion.
I have heard it mentioned many times about the Linn LM-1 in different books and must assume there is some truth in it.

Apologies but this question turned into a discussion.
I have heard it mentioned many times about the Linn LM-1 in different books and must assume there is some truth in it.

I have seen no one dispute the fact that there may be a drum machine recording of TCM in existence. My question is why this was necessary. One might say it was for demoing purposes, perhaps to give Mike an idea of what to do for the song. But as I mentioned above, sampling live drums individually to make a drum machine recording for a demo seems a bit extensive for what was at the time a relatively new indie band.

The Linn LM-1 drum machine already has the Linn LM-1 sample sounds in it. Therefore I believe this was used for "TCM Demo featuring a Linn LM-1 machine instead of Mike".
If its true that Mike didn't play they would then have used the Linn LM-1 as a sequencer to trigger samples of real drum kit sounds from an external sampler.
Perhaps the drums were purposely played badly into the LM-1 by finger (This is how you program/write a drum pattern with an LN-1) to give a live/more human/more realistic feel?
I don't know. To be honest it all sounds like an old wives tale thats been told so many times in so many different ways that now it doesn't make any sense if you REALLY think about it.

Still, its interesting Smiths folklore.

sampling live drums individually to make a drum machine recording for a demo seems a bit extensive for what was at the time a relatively new indie band.
I'm not disagreeing with you here by the way. :)

isn't the Linn LM-1 drum machine the drum machine made famous by Prince?

Yeah, everyone used to use it, Prince, Kraftwerk, Gary Numan etc

mhm... Pretty sure it's like the DX-7 of drum machines (albeit probably less affordable today by comparison).

Is there any chance there is just some confusion about it being a "demo", because I am pretty sure the (utterly garbage) "NY Instrumental Mix" of TCM uses a drum machine:

Basically just a lame version that was recorded to be played at Discotheques, from what I recall reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
charming drums linn lm-1 man
Back
Top Bottom