Anyone else here watch Star Trek?

it was a summer fun film anyway dont be so serious!

Completely agree with this sentiment. Summer movies don't need to be analyzed like Shakespeare. That said, I think what we're talking about are plot points that are not just inconsistent but insulting to the intelligence. The great "summer popcorn movies" of the past weren't necessarily believable but just plausible enough to work. If fantasy movies had supernatural elements they were at least explained well. I'm thinking of "Jaws" or "Raiders of the Lost Ark". I'll go along with the most ridiculous stories as long as everything makes sense-- it's storytelling that matters, and a lot of recent movies are pretty deficient in that category. I don't like feeling that the filmmakers are overpowering me with noise and eye candy to make me forget the story is incoherent. That's a slap in the face. Studios are wagering hundreds of millions of dollars that audiences are too dumb or too numb to care, and every time a crappy summer movie breaks the bank it just means we're going to get more of the same.

I love Star Trek! But only the original series and Voyager.
Spock is the best of then all, and I'm a little worried now when the new movie comes and he will be played by Zachary Quinto instead of Leonard Nimoy. But Quinto do look like a younger and sexier version of him.. so perhaps it's the most logical thing to do.

I can't help but think they're attempting to "remake" the series, like all the other crappy Movies based on TV Shows, rather then Revive the series...it'll probably be some trendy stupid box-off smash....

Voyager had some great episodes...but Janeway was so damn annoying, she'd never listen to her first-officer when he was right...she was like the opposite of Picard, attempting to be a female Kirk and failing miserably...

The most annoying thing was all the damn plot inconsitancies with the rest of the shows, and even the own show...Ronald D. Moore who was with Next Generation and Deep Space Nine quit the show after several weeks because things just didn't make sense...even one of the actors said that they were told to "underact", do to the crappy make-up and costuming that many of the "Aliens" were given...

I mean they keep going on about the need to conserve energy and thus having to have a Annoying-ass cook and not use replicators, etc...but they have the energy to waste by spending hours in the holodeck? Yeah, that makes sense....

I do agree with you for the most part. However, I think the fans cling so tightly to the original series that they end up spoiling the newer stuff. Everyone's pleased that J.J. Abrams is saying all the right things to placate fans of the older movies and TV shows, but his deference to the fans might make the movie suck.

It's like the "Star Wars" prequel trilogy. Now, I think "The Phantom Menace" was a mediocre movie, but I responded favorably to some of the new things Lucas was trying to do. He wasn't rehashing the OT stuff. Some characters and scenes were reminiscent of the original movies, but most of it was all new. But the howls of anger were so loud about details like the midichlorians, for example, that Lucas reverted back to the older template for the second and third movies. I think if he'd made all three movies at once, in secret, they would have been different. Although he'd never admit it, the fans really hobbled Lucas's efforts after "Phantom Menace". In the end the prequel trilogy was a mess, barely redeemed by great special effects and a few nice moments here and there.

The same will happen with "Star Trek". J. J. Abrams will try some new things but remain faithful to the originals in other ways and the end product will be mediocre.

After years of recollecting, I have concluded that Phantom Menance was a better movie than the rush-job that was Return Of The Jedi...

Jar Jar Binks may have been annoying, but the Empire is defeated by stupid annoying Ewoks?

And yeah, after the first death-star was destroyed, why would the empire waste time building yet another one? And why would Emperor be so stupid to be on it? Really was a quick way to wrap up the series....

Worst of all is the idea they implanted at the end of Revenge Of The Sith, that they started building the Death Star at the end of that film and barely completed it about 18-20 years later...but have one half-finished in 3-5 years time?...

Damn, I am wasting this morning analyzing movies way too much

Revenge Of The Sith really should have been Two Movies....Anakin just goes from Annoying to Evil way to damn quickly....I mean he shows hesitance to attack Mace Windu, and yet five minutes later, he's out killing Kids???

After years of recollecting, I have concluded that Phantom Menance was a better movie than the rush-job that was Return Of The Jedi...

Jar Jar Binks may have been annoying, but the Empire is defeated by stupid annoying Ewoks?

And yeah, after the first death-star was destroyed, why would the empire waste time building yet another one? And why would Emperor be so stupid to be on it? Really was a quick way to wrap up the series....

Worst of all is the idea they implanted at the end of Revenge Of The Sith, that they started building the Death Star at the end of that film and barely completed it about 18-20 years later...but have one half-finished in 3-5 years time?...

Damn, I am wasting this morning analyzing movies way too much

Revenge Of The Sith really should have been Two Movies....Anakin just goes from Annoying to Evil way to damn quickly....I mean he shows hesitance to attack Mace Windu, and yet five minutes later, he's out killing Kids???

Yeah, Jar-Jar is lame but I still can't get over the fact that people reviled him without admiring him on another level, as being the first really good, believably real CG character. I disliked him but I was also in awe of how good he looked. ILM really did something beautiful there.

The Death Star in "Jedi" makes sense if you know that Lucas originally wanted it to appear only in the third movie. He didn't know if would get to make them all so he used it in "Star Wars". And who knows, maybe for a Sith Lord it made sense to build two. "Always two there are..."

But overall I agree. I prefer "Menace" to "Jedi". I thought the Vader/Luke/Emperor scenes were perfect, but then the movie would keep cutting back to-- teddy bears? Also I think Han hurt the movie. He didn't do anything another character could have done, and I hated how Lucas made Leia Luke's sister so she could be with Han. We were forced to watch Han turn into a wuss. I agree with Harrison Ford that he should have died in "Empire".

Agree also about Anakin in "Sith". The big plot point Lucas totally missed was one I thought up after watching "Phantom Menace". I was sure I'd figured out where he was going, but it didn't work out. It was so obvious, too, and would easily have motivated Anakin: the Jedi, fearing the original prophecy, indirectly caused the infant Anakin and his mother to be sold into slavery.

Yeah, Jar-Jar is lame but I still can't get over the fact that people reviled him without admiring him on another level, as being the first really good, believably real CG character. I disliked him but I was also in awe of how good he looked. ILM really did something beautiful there.

The Death Star in "Jedi" makes sense if you know that Lucas originally wanted it to appear only in the third movie. He didn't know if would get to make them all so he used it in "Star Wars". And who knows, maybe for a Sith Lord it made sense to build two. "Always two there are..."

But overall I agree. I prefer "Menace" to "Jedi". I thought the Vader/Luke/Emperor scenes were perfect, but then the movie would keep cutting back to-- teddy bears? Also I think Han hurt the movie. He didn't do anything another character could have done, and I hated how Lucas made Leia Luke's sister so she could be with Han. We were forced to watch Han turn into a wuss. I agree with Harrison Ford that he should have died in "Empire".

Agree also about Anakin in "Sith". The big plot point Lucas totally missed was one I thought up after watching "Phantom Menace". I was sure I'd figured out where he was going, but it didn't work out. It was so obvious, too, and would easily have motivated Anakin: the Jedi, fearing the original prophecy, indirectly caused the infant Anakin and his mother to be sold into slavery.

The Chain-Smoking Carrie Fisher wasn't attractive at all by the third film...and her scenes with Luke were really lame...including the one which now makes no sense with her saying that she does have memories of her real mother...Yeah, thanks Lucas for ruining your own series with that inconsistancy...I still kept expecting Padme to have somehow survived and went with Leia to Alderan before finally dying, but Lucas had to give us a pathetic death-bed scene and therefore totally contridict the account Leia gives in ROTJ...yeah, given that Luke was born first, why would she remember her mother for those minutes, and not him....and of course ROTS would have been given a bit more credence if they explained why Luke found "Something familiar about Dabogah" in Empire...

Han was completely underused in Jedi..he should have been the one leading sometime of smuggling operation to get the Rebels pass the imperial fleet....I think Harrison wanted Han to die in Return of the Jedi...And Lando....Completely out of place as The Fleet Commander.....where was the self-serving scoundrel from Empire...sure he'd changed, but I don't see that dramatic of a character change from one film to another as being realistic...they almost came close to killing Lando and the Falcon off, but that would have really pissed fans off....not Lando, but the Falcon of course..

And of course the Special Edition DVD release with Haydon Christensen as Anakin at the end made absolutely no sense....Yoda and Obi-Wan look like old men, but Anakin's 18? Completely Absurd...I refuse to watch that DVD ever again...The re-dubbing of Boba Fett's voice was bad enough, but now Lucas wants to re-dub all the Storm Troopers to sound like Jango Fett...Jango was a complete pathetic wuss compared to Boba....

you've over nerded this thread. ALL OF YOU.

LOLZ! you read my mind!

i mean, I love the first 3 Star Wars. but, cmon now...

they f***ed it up for the rest of us normal geeks! PARAGRAPHS, nugz. do you see the PARAGRAPHS ABOUT INCONSISTENCIES????

they f***ed it up for the rest of us normal geeks! PARAGRAPHS, nugz. do you see the PARAGRAPHS ABOUT INCONSISTENCIES????

hahaha, I do. i see them. this is STAR WARS, not the freakin BIBLE.

I am reminded of when Conan does his nerd voice. you know what im talking about?

hahaha, I do. i see them. this is STAR WARS, not the freakin BIBLE.

I am reminded of when Conan does his nerd voice. you know what im talking about?

Yes, I do. I love Conan. He doesn't get enough respect.
And how is it that a star trek thread gets full of star wars crap? no wonder stupid people confuse the two.

I am bored...I am back to teaching my daughter the Alphabet again...it's far more rewarding...

I dislike just about all sci-fi, so can't offer much on the current debate other than the mighty Mars Attacks must surely be one the greatest movies ever made.

Post Script: I find Lost completely addictive too, if that falls into the science fiction genre. The stretches of imagination that annoy me in other sci-fi films, I conveniently ignore when watching Lost.

Last edited:
i quit liking LOST mid 2nd season.

Isn't Lost more like Reality TV/Soap Opera than Science Fiction? It seems the same people that like that crap like Lost

Isn't Lost more like Reality TV/Soap Opera than Science Fiction? It seems the same people that like that crap like Lost

its got a lot of soap but its predominantly described as sci fi. in the beginning it WAS sci fi but it melted into crap mid second season.

Nerds are nerds because they only know how to talk about one thing. I've devoted 0.00067 percent of my posts in this forum talking about "Star Wars".

But I do contain enough nerd to say this: I am so, so pleased to have turned a "Star Trek" thread into one about "Star Wars".

"Lost" lost steam because the creators didn't know what to do with the series once it became a big hit. Now that they've been told exactly how many episodes are left, they should be able to re-shape it into a cool series that will eventually, y'know, have a point to it.

Last edited:
Nerds are nerds because they only know how to talk about one thing. I've devoted 0.00067 percent of my posts in this forum talking about "Star Wars".

But I do contain enough nerd to say this: I am so, so pleased to have turned a "Star Trek" thread into one about "Star Wars".

"Lost" lost steam because the creators didn't know what to do with the series once it became a big hit. Now that they've been told exactly how many episodes are left, they should be able to re-shape it into a cool series that will eventually, y'know, have a point to it.

Star Trek v. Star Wars = TomAYto v. TomAHto (but only if I didn't like tomatoes). Let me know when you get to Lord of the Rings/Tolkien.

I liked the first season of Lost, then it got (even more) silly. Had they killed off Sawyer and didn't have the weird French woman and the "must push buttons every 90 seconds" thing, I might still watch it.

Star Trek v. Star Wars = TomAYto v. TomAHto (but only if I didn't like tomatoes). Let me know when you get to Lord of the Rings/Tolkien.

I liked the first season of Lost, then it got (even more) silly. Had they killed off Sawyer and didn't have the weird French woman and the "must push buttons every 90 seconds" thing, I might still watch it.

Aaagh! "Lord of the Rings"-- I am not a fan.

I think the various movies are rather different from each other but in related ways:

"Star Trek" has the smarts and the humor but not the heart.

"Lord of The Rings" has the smarts and the heart but not the humor.

"Star Wars", however, has the smarts, the heart, and the humor.

Heart and humor: you've got the do-gooder farmboy, the wiseacre gambler, the virtuous mentors, the bickering robots, and above all a really pulpy, at times campy tone that offsets its self-important mythology. Yes, Lucas talks about Joseph Campbell but it's just as much "Flash Gordon" and WWII thrillers.

And the smarts? I promise not to turn this into a political discussion but let's just say the prequel trilogy mirrors recent events to an alarming degree.

Shatner has an ego the size of The Planet Vulcan...but he's still a much better actor than Mulgrew or Sam Beckett...

Shatner's ego was well documented from the show's original run. Nowadays it appears as if he realizes that his younger self was a bit foolish and spends the time poking fun at himself.

Even Sulu and Kirk have made amends with one another.

It can also be argued that Shatner knew that the cast was an ensemble but that it still needed to focus on the relationships between Spock Kirk and McCoy.

And on a side note... could there have been anyone else that could have played Kirk? I really cannot think of anyone from that era... Hopefully the rumors are true and Matt Damon will pick up the character for the next movie.

Enterprise had so many flaws, it's a wonder the show actually lasted four years...I stopped watching I think after day one because all they ever did was contridict everything that had been been established about the early days....The supporting actors were really annoyed that they got very little screen time, it was just like the orignal series in that respect!

The inconsistency was supposedly due to the timeline shift after the events of Movie numero 8(?) when the Enterprise and the Borg go back in time and help launch the first warp drive or something like that.

Why do I know that?

Back
Top Bottom