anyone believe this email from the main board?

If it's real it shouldn't be on this site as it's an invasion of privacy, and if it's fake it shouldn't be on this site as it's a load of tiresome bollocks.
So either way it should be ignored and disregarded.

sarahT said:
If it's real it shouldn't be on this site as it's an invasion of privacy, and if it's fake it shouldn't be on this site as it's a load of tiresome bollocks.

I go for the tiresome bollocks theory myself. I reckon it's written by that sad loser who set up that blog and made up a whole fake interview with Moz. Do you think they ever think to themselves "hang on, am I losing the plot a bit here?".

i hope he does ditch sanctuary they completely ballsed up ROTT, moz made a sterling album and they did not promote it fittingly, now if he had been signed for another label they would have taken there opertunities with this one and absolutlely whored that album in the media, and they shouldve been paying radio stations to paly thier songs just like all the big labels do, sanctuary have one of the biggest artists around and they dont do enough to make him as succesful as he couldve been with this album

Well that's the price he pays for signing with Sanctuary. He's been in the business 20 odd years so he knows the score. If you're on a major label you get played on the radio, if you're not you don't. I'm sure he had the chance to sign with a major after Quarry. I suppose they wouldn't have given him enough control over his work though.

Personally, I think Morrissey should embrace the fact that his records aren't getting played on the radio and start releasing singles that are a bit more off the wall. The single choices from ROTT all seem to be about trying to appeal to mainstream radio.

He should stop trying to force the media to accept him as a mainstream pop artist, or else sign with a major label if that's what he wants. You can't have one without the other.

King Leer said:
If this was real and sent backstage from Imola (the date jives), it wouldn't surprise me. It if it was fake, I wouldn't be surprised either but the effort of the writer is beyond the norm. There are only two or three people on here good enough to attempt it (I'm one of them). But I have no interest in doing that type of writing, but it's fascinating to dissect it.

You haven't got a high opinion of yourself have you? :rolleyes:

This 'email' seems to lack Morrissey's sense of humour - so my instinct says it's hard to find credible... (However, he may not have a sense of humour when it comes to 'business.')

carnal artist said:
This 'email' seems to lack Morrissey's sense of humour - so my instinct says it's hard to find credible... (However, he may not have a sense of humour when it comes to 'business.')

or he may lack a sense of humor when he's angry when his album's not doing well...

I dont believe for a second that Moz even uses a pc, never mind owns one! He is a complete technophobe! I dont even think he uses a phone.

I was under the impression any communication from him comes by way of fax.

Jones said:
I go for the tiresome bollocks theory myself. I reckon it's written by that sad loser who set up that blog and made up a whole fake interview with Moz. Do you think they ever think to themselves "hang on, am I losing the plot a bit here?".

The person who set up that blog (I think it was called "Ringleader of the Tormentors 1970" or something?) then went on (and on, and on) about how David T wasn't listing any news about it on the main page. Got tiresome quick. This email is an interesting one-off.

Man Afraid said:
i hope he does ditch sanctuary they completely ballsed up ROTT, moz made a sterling album and they did not promote it fittingly, now if he had been signed for another label they would have taken there opertunities with this one and absolutlely whored that album in the media, and they shouldve been paying radio stations to paly thier songs just like all the big labels do, sanctuary have one of the biggest artists around and they dont do enough to make him as succesful as he couldve been with this album

This is exactly right. The album deserved as much or more marketing muscle than Who Ate the Curry? had behind it. Instead, Sanctuary sort of floated it out there and hoped it would get by on its own steam, along with Morrissey's increased media presence. The email shows how that even with everything in the right place, without proper publicity, it's going nowhere. And no comments on the quality of the song itself, please -- it's an above-average Morrissey single with enough radio friendly hooks to sell more than 9000+ copies!

AlbertFinney said:
You haven't got a high opinion of yourself have you? :rolleyes:

Albert -- only when it comes to writing. I'll stand mine up against anybody's. Other than that, you won't see me boasting about anything on this site (or anywhere). That said, most of my posts on Moz-solo are knocked out in 30 seconds or less.

bauer24 said:
I dont believe for a second that Moz even uses a pc, never mind owns one! He is a complete technophobe! I dont even think he uses a phone.

I was under the impression any communication from him comes by way of fax.

This was true until around some time in the late 90s. 1997's Wide to Receive was Morrissey's first hint at computer usage, and ironically, the lyrics remain quite relevant. And then there were the photos in Morrissey's LA home around '99 or 2000 (or was it later?), where an iMac was visible in the background. In a recent interview, Morrissey gave his email address to the interviewer, asking him to "keep it under his Stetson."

Still, beyond simple usage of email and a printer (for set lists, I imagine), I think he's basically computer illiterate, and wouldn't know how to access his own email on someone else's PC (which I went into further detail in my original post).

The fact that the email in question isn't from Morrissey's own address is at once convenient for a "Morrissey manqué," but on the other hand is more believable than it coming from his own machine, a much more remote possibility.

Last edited:
Danny said:
Having read his silly letters to his pen pal, the notes he wrote to "Under the Influence", and the odd magazine bit he's done, this doesn't ring true to me. Doesn't sound like the same person.

The writing style is very laboured. I think he'd be much more concise. There's a bit too much detail as well which makes me suspicious.

Yes, but the goal here is different from his other writings....he's trying to prove a point....Plus it's just an e-mail...I'm sure he puts more effort into things he expects people to actually read.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was genuine..."feels" like Morrissey to me in the way he states his opinions

I am a Ghost said:
Ooh, it seems to have the ring of authenticity to me. Morrissey has always been concerned with chart positions and his place in them, as well as all the minutiae of single/album releases. Why wouldn't he fire-off a missive such as this when faced with the relative failure of "The Youngest", when his face is everywhere and it's a catchy, memorable single?
Look at the competition, ffs!!!
Yes, it could be a wind-up, but I'm in the "authentic" camp.

Competition yes, but I also don't think The Youngest is as immediately catchy as You Have Killed Me...If it takes weeks for a huge Moz fan (i.e. myself) to begin to see the song's potential, then that may say something...I've also had a couple others listen to it, one of whom has a similar taste in music and wasn't impressed, and the other (my husband) liked the song but hated the children's choir.

All ancedotal, but my personal opinion is that the single isn't as strong as Moz thinks

Puddle said:
also he is putting down a lot of people at Sanctuary, including those close to him (Jed)...he wouldn't do so using someone else's email. he would do it securely, using his own email address, and certainly not some 2nd rate employee of Sanctuary.

furthermore, making a fake using morrissey's email address is impossible considering it's nearly impossible to get his email address. thus the need to create the scenario of a broken computer and the need to use Ed's. It's a fake ladies and gentlemen.

Blame Canada.

Hell, it's probably SirSteve.

Very good points, I must say. Especially the one about the e-mail address issue...In my twisted mind I was thinking that maybe that's why it has leaked...NOT having been composed on Moz's personal computer, who knows what kind of people have access to that guy's computer. But you may very well be right

Spicer said:
I believe it. I also believe it is unwise to post the whole thing uncensored - shouldn't the e-mail address and phone numbers at the end be blocked out, just out of respect for the parties involved?

I wouldn't like it if my phone number was posted, that's all I'm saying.

Sorry to be a boring pedant, but Killarney didn't sell out - there were still tickets on sale on the evening of the show. That said, I am really surprised that Marlay Park didn't sell out yet - there was a big ad campaign just as tickets were being released, and there was a great buzz about the Olympia shows - yet it is not selling well... :confused: I don't understand at all!! The only straw I can grasp at is that the opening bands are putting people off, which is a long shot.
I dont think its the support bands that have put people off the gigs but the fact that ROTT hasnt been one of his best albums.Ive been to 3 of the gigs this tour and looking forward to Marley Park in August tho i have to say ive enjoyed the gigs but not over impreesed with the set list maybe its the setlist that has put people off ??????

no one in particular said:
Just in case you missed it, here is David's response to the inquiry about tracing the IP address that email post came from:

source: http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=60560

yes i give that fact only a half point in helping the genuine column. DavidT it doesn't match with any recent post. But i'm not sure how much comparing he did. Plus i would have gone back and looked to compare to:

1) past trolls known for doing this stuff
2) the canadian thread becasue that was the most recent even that really pissed off some fans. To the point a few hate morrissey now and would have the desire to cause trouble for the guy.

However, even if it were one of these people, they would have probably thought to use a different computer so they couldn't be tracked. or perhaps not. But i'm not going to ask David T to play along and play detective. THough i would find the task to be interesting and mildly fun.

I've already written enough about why I believe it's real (and the points I still find suspect), but I can't understand what about the email leads you, Puddle, to believe it was written by someone who doesn't like Morrissey.

Whether it was written by him or not, it's actually a very clear breakdown of the breakdown between Sanctuary and Morrissey. Nothing about it makes Morrissey look bad, other than some less-than-favourable comments about Sanctuary publicity people -- not worth a troll's time.

Zzzz

King Leer said:
I've already written enough about why I believe it's real (and the points I still find suspect), but I can't understand what about the email leads you, Puddle, to believe it was written by someone who doesn't like Morrissey.

Whether it was written by him or not, it's actually a very clear breakdown of the breakdown between Sanctuary and Morrissey. Nothing about it makes Morrissey look bad, other than some less-than-favourable comments about Sanctuary publicity people -- not worth a troll's time.

Zzzz

well, the animal rights comment, after reading it a few more times i admit doesn't really make morrissey look bad.

The only reason why i wold think it is someone who hates morrissey is because he or she may simply want to cause trouble for morrissey. if morrissey doesn;t feel this way, then it's another false rumour. if this made it to the front page of morrissey-solo, then there would be a good chance it would have been picked up by the tabloids. it still may.

but i don't care anymore. it's starting to get boring. there's no way to confirm it being a fake or not so whatevere intent the original poster had, it didn;t achieve anything.

If it is made up (which I'm pretty sure it is) it can't be made up by somebody who likes and respect Morrissey. No one would make up a letter and try to pass it off as by someone who they like would they? It's a nasty thing to do to someone no matter what the contents are.

So it's one of the many Morrissey haters that love to troll this site. The amount of effort they put into it is amazing really supporting a theory I have that people that hate Morrissey are much more obsessive than those who like him.

sarahT said:

that's it

cossy said:
The disaster of "the Youngest" is Sanctuary's 2nd major failure - the first being releasing Quarry on day 2 of a 7 days sales week, thus no #1 position.

Morons.

Back
Top Bottom