Anybody here did see the smiths live and can provide a review of it?

sistasheila

tjekket
just found an review of someone who attend the hamburg 84 gig (nice pics he had shot,i post them here also)and makes me wonder about you-who did see the smiths live and would like to share your experience with us maybe even with some pics ?
oh and on my recent scotland trip i attended one of these one day trips to the scottish countryside (loch lomond to be specific..so so
beautiful! far far better than loch ness) and i chatted with our guide and i found out he attended that wild glasgow (barrowlands) gig 85!
(extracts which were shown at this uk tv show called the tube with maggi clarke // hand in glove:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9mUSXEzzmM)

I of course was very delighted that this guy who happens to be the guide/and the bus driver of this tourist guiding tour also did attend a smiths gig,
so I was questioned him on that further but he said the only thing he remembered that it was wild ,sweaty and "a lot of jumping"
overall he give more the impression of a casual smiths fan than an apostle...
it was nice... and unexpected...

so anybody did see them on one or more of these gigs
in the UK?....SHARE!
and did their live appeal change over the years?
..some concertgoers reviews
of the 86 concerts complained about the smiths being
more rockist and not this "delicate" anymore like at these earlier gigs 84.... did you get up on stage at these now famous stage invasions like
in derby 83...or any further stories....

maybe you were also at this glasgow gig like that bus driver -these scotland gigs were pretty wild..from what I have heard werent they?

:guitar::guitar::guitar:

or at these rare european visits like in spain france etc?

i know there are some reviews around in music papers but I prefer
to read a review from a fan rather than from a music journalist (who did get free entry to the gig of a band he didnt even like much is not that entertaining to read:D )
-------------------------------------------------------------------
oh not to forget:
i also would love to hear more of the US tours 85 and 86 unfortunately from these concerts there are no video bootlegs in existence as far as i know..so you could only imaging how wild they were by listening to the audio
I would particulary be interested if someone attended the irvine meadows gig 86 . i love the thnk you you lucky stars bootleg recording of that concert ..that moment when morrissey screams at the bouncers during the beginning of i know its over...what did happen there exactly..anybody got an insight view of that?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

so here is the review of the hamburg gig i mentioned earlier and the pics
nothing too spectacular but nice
Smiths8408.jpg

Smiths8407closeCC0.jpg

Smiths8405BrilleCC.jpg

Smiths8404CC.jpg

review:
The Smiths live in Hamburg, Markthalle 04.05.1984
This was a fantastic Concert! As far as I know it was the only time The Smiths played in Germany, and it was the last night with my girlfriend... We can both be seen on the Rockpalast video of this gig. I caught some of Morrissey's flower and a part of his shirt! I still have both today but not that girlfriend. I have a pretty good tape of this (broadcast on radio) but unfortunately my tape machine doesn't work at the moment. I will post the mp3 later.

Here is the song of that night :
The Smiths - Still ill (in memory of May 84)

As far as I know this was the first and last time The Smiths ever played live in Germany, and I was there!
The show was recorded for Rockpalast on TV (one week later they and I were back there for the Carmel concert) and later also broadcast by NDR 2 on radio.

I knew only the singles back then and was very curious how this then still little known band from England would be live, and they were fantastic! Morrissey entered the stage with a large bunch of flowers on the back of his jeans, a bunch of english fans singing his name. After the first track he asks the crowd to come closer, because due to the TV recording the ground floor was blocked for the cameras. Suddenly the fans rushed forward (poor cameramen!)and I was standing pretty close to the stage (as you can see in the pictures of my previous post).
While they played, Morrissey threw flowers into the audience, later followed by his shirt. I still keep the left half of it somewhere! It was heavily scented, my car smelt from his perfume for weeks.
I hope you can enjoy it at least half as much as I did! I think the sound quality is pretty ok, Stereo FM recording. As the tape is 22 years old now I was a little disappointed, when I heard it again on my stereo (before I only listened to it in the car), but I hope that Nero SoundWave improved it enough, leave comments.

As there was no clear decision in your comments to the format, I will start with both one large mp3 file with the complete concert, and a zip file with the concert split into single mp3s. I don't know if I will do it always, but let's see.
The Smiths live in Hamburg, Markthalle 04.05.1984 one file
The Smiths live in Hamburg, Markthalle 04.05.1984 single fi

by jörg lange
http://not-rock-on.blogspot.com/2006/05/smiths-markthalle-hamburg-germany.html
http://not-rock-on.blogspot.com/2007/01/smiths-live-in-hamburg-1984.html#comments

------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

i was too young to get a chance to see them live..born 81 grrrr but oh well..

i know in the wake of a new album we are supposed to concentrate on new things but of course stories from the smiths days will alwáys be
interesting
those of you who re lucky enough who were at one of these smiths gigs..please share
these sacred moments which those you couldnt see them live

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to see The Smiths five times:guitar:

Coventry Polytechnic March 84
Manchester Palace Theatre March 85
Manchester G-Mex July 86
Salford University July 86
Manchester Free Trade Hall October 86

You want a review? Give me an hour or so and I'll PM you something.

Jukebox Jury

post it in here if you dont mind;-)

okay...:D

so oh by the way you are the one who did write the book "morrissey`s manchester" right? any plans to write a book on morrissey`s london?

or any other new books soon to be published from you...
time for advertise..now!;);)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't get why the don't release a DVD of footage like that. Or that show they did in Spain, wasn't that broadcast on TV? Why not remaster it and release on DVD???

Jury - I can't believe you got to see them 5 times....very cool!

This makes me feel soo old , also lucky enough to see them live 4 times , but not all full gigs :guitar:

Newcastle Mayfair 1984
Newcastle City Hall 1985
The Tube 1986
Newcastle Mayfair 1986

only physical reminder is the ticket stub from City Hall and programme
oh happy days , just found 2 crappy old photos of the Mayfair 86 just can make out Morrissey with The Queen is Dead placard :)

Sadly, I only saw the Smiths once (at the Liverpool Royal Court in March 1985).

It was a fantastic gig but, because I'm lazy, I'll simpy post what Stephane's site has to say about it...

'This was a great concert, Liverpool loved the Smiths and they often sang along with Morrissey to their favourite songs, such as set opener "William, It Was Really Nothing". After "I Want The One I Can't Have", Morrissey apologised "Sorry about the barrier, nobody told us." Before "How Soon Is Now?" he teased the fans who were shouting requests: "Which, which one? Who? When?...". Then before "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore", he said "Hope everybody's well enough... we're not..."

"Shakespeare's Sister" was sarcastically introduced as "... our new single, which you're probably sick of hearing on the radio". In "Still Ill", the whole verse starting with "Ask me why and I'll die" to "and I should know because I've seen them but not very often..." was skipped. At the end of "Meat Is Murder", Morrissey sang "who cares when animals die" instead of "who hears when animals cry".

As he returned to the stage to perform the encore, Morrissey read someone's dedication of the next song to a handful of people: "This song is for Allison Flood, and Jill, Sue, Sharon and Donna... hope you enjoy your holiday, from Collette". "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" often stirred audiences into singalongs, and it was the case again in Liverpool. In "Miserable Lie", Morrissey didn't echo the ending of certain lines as he had been doing at the time. After the song he exclaimed "Goodbye, good luck, thank you!" before leaving the stage.

"Handsome Devil" which was ocasionally part of the setlist on this tour wasn't played in Liverpool.'

Which just about sums it up, really!

Or that show they did in Spain, wasn't that broadcast on TV? Why not remaster it and release on DVD???

My brother went to Bangkok and whilst there, he bought me the Spanish gig you metnion on a bootleg DVD for Xmas. I was dead chuffed, but a bit deflated later when he said it cost him £1:mad:
The bloke is loaded, and he got me a £1 Xmas present......
Good quality film though

Edit, I feel guilty, he also bought me a Morrissey DVD bootleg from 2 June 2006 at the Rock am Ring Festival, Nürburg, Germany, so he spent £2 on me at Xmas......

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
I too saw them at the Palace in Manchester and still have my programme from the gig. They were supported by James (who went on to do the "sit down" record).

I too saw them at the Palace in Manchester and still have my programme from the gig. They were supported by James (who went on to do the "sit down" record).

Yes, James were the support. I didn't get a programme but still have the ticket stub.
I have four of the stubs left, all in a big frame with other tickets on my wall..... the Coventry ticket was still in my jeans when my mum put them in the wash......:mad:

Jukebox Jury

I was lucky enough to see The Smiths five times:guitar:

Coventry Polytechnic March 84
Manchester Palace Theatre March 85
Manchester G-Mex July 86
Salford University July 86
Manchester Free Trade Hall October 86

You want a review? Give me an hour or so and I'll PM you something.

Jukebox Jury

Won't your review just be two words....

"Great drumming"

:p

Won't your review just be two words....

"Great drumming"

:p

Thanks Mike,
I had 'writers block' which is why I hadn't written it yet - you just unblocked the block.:guitar:

My review of the 5 gigs:-

'Great Drumming'

Jukebox Jury

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
nice haircuts you had back in 86 :D

tou86.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom