Any of you lot ever got on stage at a Smiths or Morrissey gig?

B

Bluenose

I haven’t, but I reckon I’d be like that girl from Wolverhampton in ’88 during 'Sister I’m A Poet'. Wide-eyed and full of worship.

I never got on stage but I helped his arse once. If you want I can tell the story.

> I never got on stage but I helped his arse once. If you want I can tell
> the story.

No, you're alright (though probably not rich and white). But thanks anyway.

> No, you're alright (though probably not rich and white). But thanks
> anyway.

Couldn't get anywhere near the stage at the Queen Margaret Union in Glasgow in 1984. The f***in students who ran things made sure they and their poncey student mates were in front of the stage before the doors opened.
We punched a few of them (as you do with students) but the heat, sweat, drink, atmosphere, and, ahem, glue overwhelmed us.I knew then that the old Punk gang was on its last legs.
Aye.............
happy (yet in a way, sad) days.
*gazes wistfully into the middle distance*

How much bail money will I need to bring?

> I haven’t, but I reckon I’d be like that girl from Wolverhampton in ’88
> during 'Sister I’m A Poet'. Wide-eyed and full of worship.
My Wife claims she is jumping on stage. It will either be in New York or London. Will she get arrested or will they just kick her out? I figure if she get's arrested I can at least see the rest of the show and have a few beers before bailing her out.

Beacon NYC

> I was up there barking into Moz' ear for a while at the Beacon in NYC during 2001...lots of fun

My Wife claims she is jumping on stage. It will either be in New York or
> London. Will she get arrested or will they just kick her out? I figure if
> she get's arrested I can at least see the rest of the show and have a few
> beers before bailing her out.

I didn't go up on stage because I was scared that I wouldn't be able to get back to my kickass seats. The girl I went with and I had front row center. It was just as good as being up on stage with him. He held my hand during 'Half a Person'. He rolled about on the floor RIGHT in front of me. I could have swiped his shoe laces. It was truly heavenly. Best night of my life. February 16, 2000. Hamilton, Ontario.

Nah. I would be the sort of person who would get on stage,stage dive back into the crowd and they would part just like Moses at the Red Sea(or wherever he was).

I did have a girl faint on me back in Barrowlands in 1985 ? Anyway,being the gentleman I was,and fuelled by a bottle of Buckfast I helped her to the First Aid section.

She was really quite tasty and I wiped her brow with my Moz Shirt which had "I'd Like To Drop My Trousers To The Queen" written on it.

When The Smiths came off stage Andy Rourke looked over and said to me "Is She alright ?". I said "Yes" and that was my brief brush with a Smith.

I don't know how we got seperated at the end but the place was jumping. It was The Smiths gig that was featured on a segment of The Tube. The camera scanned the crowd at the front and although I couldn't see myself I saw my mate Doc who was already quite bald at only 16.

I saw The Smiths a year or so later at the same venue but it wasn't quite the same.I never saw that girl again either although I did look....

A great night. In the pub afterwards I was saying to one of my mates " I will never,ever feel this way about a band again"

He looked at me as though I was mad but to this day I never have.

> Nah. I would be the sort of person who would get on stage,stage dive back
> into the crowd and they would part just like Moses at the Red Sea(or
> wherever he was).

> I did have a girl faint on me back in Barrowlands in 1985 ? Anyway,being
> the gentleman I was,and fuelled by a bottle of Buckfast I helped her to
> the First Aid section.

> She was really quite tasty and I wiped her brow with my Moz Shirt which
> had "I'd Like To Drop My Trousers To The Queen" written on it.

> When The Smiths came off stage Andy Rourke looked over and said to me
> "Is She alright ?". I said "Yes" and that was my brief
> brush with a Smith.

> I don't know how we got seperated at the end but the place was jumping. It
> was The Smiths gig that was featured on a segment of The Tube. The camera
> scanned the crowd at the front and although I couldn't see myself I saw my
> mate Doc who was already quite bald at only 16.

> I saw The Smiths a year or so later at the same venue but it wasn't quite
> the same.I never saw that girl again either although I did look....

> A great night. In the pub afterwards I was saying to one of my mates
> " I will never,ever feel this way about a band again"

> He looked at me as though I was mad but to this day I never have.

Nice story Johnny.. capturing a moment (and the girl) very well. Funny the way you can never see yourslef in a crowd when you know you were there. Same sort of thing at a football match.. all these faces and you can't quite .. see yourself..

Ruffian

Didn't we have a chat about this? the RAH assault squad losing their bottle when they saw the violence and the indecent enthusiasm of the security staff! We could have done with Big Mac up front showing us the way.. Failing that, next time, we all get together and make a concerted dash for it as one.. We might lose a few bodies but reckon we could get a few Moz soldiers up the hem of his garment!

No, I haven't! But I'd love to do it for the fame and the glory just once! And become a Moz solo legend of course!

When I was younger I was told Moz would actually discretely allow/encourage fans on stage.. have a quiet word with the bouncers to let a few on stage to drape themselves around his neck (Smiths days like).. adulation is good copy after all. In recent years, this seems to have changed to a no invasion policy. Then agina, maybe it's heal;th & safety, coz every venue seems to put th belanket down on surfers and all sorts nowadays.

What is a good question is...

Have you EVER been featured on a video or a bootleg after a successful Morrissey stage invasion? Was you THAT person from Aylesbury in '99 or something like that? Fame fame fatal fame..

Ruffian

Re: I got chucked out once.....

I made a rush for the stage at the gig in Salisbury (1999?). Well he wanted us to - pretty much asking people to try harder. I got caught in the pit by security who threw me out by the scruff of my neck. But all was not lost because I just went back through the main entrance, showed my ticket stub and saw the remainder of the gig. If I had got on stage Morrissey would have turned his back and gagged I'm sure.

Re: How much bail money will I need to bring?

> My Wife claims she is jumping on stage. It will either be in New York or
> London. Will she get arrested or will they just kick her out? I figure if
> she get's arrested I can at least see the rest of the show and have a few
> beers before bailing her out.
UM yeah Im practicing my 6 foot leaps as I am typing this.
I hope Morrissey plays MSG. You will recoginize me with my STEVENS away jersey on. I will also yell the customary "RANGERS SUCK" on stage.

> Couldn't get anywhere near the stage at the Queen Margaret Union in
> Glasgow in 1984. The f***in students who ran things made sure they and
> their poncey student mates were in front of the stage before the doors
> opened.
> We punched a few of them (as you do with students) but the heat, sweat,
> drink, atmosphere, and, ahem, glue overwhelmed us.I knew then that the old
> Punk gang was on its last legs.
> Aye.............
> happy (yet in a way, sad) days.
> *gazes wistfully into the middle distance*

Was this one of the last battles of the fabled punk wars you sepak of? I assume you were a veteran by then.. Still, the brave fall first don't they.. You must have had a scawny bunch with you by then. Not the fire powwer to take the stage like you had at that 'Glasgow Poly gig' wehn the Rezillo's played or something like that.

Still, the Heavy Metal front was also dying by then.. I think I recall a Sammy Hagar Montrose gig being one of the last along with a perposterous Judas Priest gig with far too much leather on show being the final straw.

But the indie age was dawning..
and here we are now.
Ruffian

Being from Texas, I would like to hear some stories from people that were at the Dallas show from "Live in Dallas."

my homepage
pic126563.jpg

> Was this one of the last battles of the fabled punk wars you sepak of? I
> assume you were a veteran by then.. Still, the brave fall first don't
> they.. You must have had a scawny bunch with you by then. Not the fire
> powwer to take the stage like you had at that 'Glasgow Poly gig' wehn the
> Rezillo's played or something like that.

> Still, the Heavy Metal front was also dying by then.. I think I recall a
> Sammy Hagar Montrose gig being one of the last along with a perposterous
> Judas Priest gig with far too much leather on show being the final straw.

> But the indie age was dawning..
> and here we are now.
> Ruffian

Aye, we were finished by then , Ruff.
I'd actually been abroad since 1981 and only visited glasgow for a month or two each year throughout the 80's.
We had a kinda reunion thingy for The Smiths but even then we were way too old among all those pesky students and their 'wacky' (zzzzzzzzzz...) sense of humour.
I don't know if glasgow had a poly but I do remember seeing The Rezillos at a place called Jordanhill College REALLY early on. It might even have been 1976. Certainly no later than early '77.
It was round about then (oh alright, it was EXACTLY then) that any student I encountered went to the top of my 'horse's arse' list.
Only in recent years have they been replaced By The Unmentionable One (he 'sang' angels).
However, dozens of them from my past remain firmly stuck at No.2.

And aye, I remember that Judas Priest gig. No, I don't really.

Back
Top Bottom