Any info on string quartet & other supports for Kill Uncle Tour, 1991 pl?

G

goinghome

Support Acts for Kill Uncle & Later Tours

PassionsJustLikeMine.com has listings until Morrissey travelled to Japan/Australia/New Zealand from 27 August to 11 Sept. 1991, where all that is known is:

"In Wellington, the opening act was a string quartet of members of the Wellington Regional Orchestra. Information [re. supports] is unknown for other dates." - pjlm

If anyone can fill in the gap, in particular during that fortnight in the antipodes/orient, about the string quartet and the other support acts, to help out for a recap of support acts for Morrissey over the years - http://allyouneedismorrissey.com/topic/4467049/1/ - that'd be great, thanks! :guitar:

Last edited by a moderator:
There was no support act Morrissey's Japan tour in 1991.

Around '92 or '93 non-Japanese bands / artists touring Japan started having opening acts.

Last edited:
That poor string quartet played in Wellington and Auckland. I saw them in Auckland and the poor pricks got murdered. You have to remember that The Smiths never made it to New Zealand so by the time Morrissey arrived you had a crowd that had been waiting since 1983 to see this man! I've since been to a few other Morrissey hows around the world and I don't know if it was just the fact that it was the first time but I swear the emotion in that venue had an electricity that I haven't seen since. Morrissey actually got hauled into the crowd and had to be pulled out by security (hair didn't move an inch though!) My point being that this was not the usual (or appropriate setting) for 4 nice little ladies to come out and play their chamber music.

Coins and flowers hit the stage and poor women just looked a cross between bemused and scared shitless, LOL. It was actually embarrassing. And what made it worse was there was some kind of flower festival outside the Auckland venue selling daffodils. Those women got hammered with flowers!

On a side note although I didn't mush care for the album, 'Kill Uncle' holds a special place in my heart because it marked the start of his first ever solo tour. I'm sure those who were around then will also attest it was a very very very special time to be a Morrissey fan.

That poor string quartet played in Wellington and Auckland. I saw them in Auckland and the poor pricks got murdered. You have to remember that The Smiths never made it to New Zealand so by the time Morrissey arrived you had a crowd that had been waiting since 1983 to see this man! I've since been to a few other Morrissey hows around the world and I don't know if it was just the fact that it was the first time but I swear the emotion in that venue had an electricity that I haven't seen since. Morrissey actually got hauled into the crowd and had to be pulled out by security (hair didn't move an inch though!) My point being that this was not the usual (or appropriate setting) for 4 nice little ladies to come out and play their chamber music.

Coins and flowers hit the stage and poor women just looked a cross between bemused and scared shitless, LOL. It was actually embarrassing. And what made it worse was there was some kind of flower festival outside the Auckland venue selling daffodils. Those women got hammered with flowers!

On a side note although I didn't mush care for the album, 'Kill Uncle' holds a special place in my heart because it marked the start of his first ever solo tour. I'm sure those who were around then will also attest it was a very very very special time to be a Morrissey fan.

Thank you for the very interesting exclusive memories, bhops. Nowhere else was there any mention of what happened that time in New Zealand. Your version brizzles with action! So it was four female classical musicians playing chamber music who got lambasted with flowers and detritus by an impatient crowd! Wild!

Much obliged. :cool:

What about supports for The Point, Dublin, Ireland on 29 Sept, 1991 and for Victoria Hall, Hanley, UK on 1st October 1991? Who were they? Can anyone help please?

Hi goinhome, I was a the Point Depot 29.9.91. That date changed my life. I joined the q at around 1pm that dull and overcast Sunday. There were about 20-30 fans already there. There were a few barriers set up to keep the start of the q in order. The atmosphere was fantastic, the air on anticipation was bubbling over. After what seemed like hours, Morrissey arrived at the venue, and most of the fans that were in the q raced after the vehicle, which soon disappeared down the side of the venue. Security shut the tall gates immediately. We went to the tall glass doors of the venue to see if we could catch a glimpse of the man himself. And sure enough eventually Morrissey appeared at the other side of the doors with venue people around him. I can remember thinking to myself that any minute now the glass would be smashed as we went a tad hysterical!

People were trying to take photos I had a camera , took some but when I got the film developed, none came out as the flash bounced off the glass, I was gutted. Once inside the venue (we were second row centre) the atmosphere was electric, the everlasting chants of morrissey morrissey morrissey were great. There were flowers overheads, waiting for the arrival to be thrown stageward bound. The support was Phranc, alone and with an accoustic guitar. She got a terrible time from the Morrissey fans, who just didnt want to wait a minute longer. She played a brief set.

Then the stage crew prepared the stage and equipment, and all of a sudden the intro tape was on the lights dimmed and the back curtain dropped. There was a huge roar from the crowd as Morrissey and the band ran on stage. He kicked off with Angel Angel and played an amazing gig. It was my first Morrissey show, I had travelled up from Cork. I got the bootleg the very next day from Crown Alley upstairs at a very well known bootlegger place. The quality wasn't great but I wore that tape out, and still have it to this day. I went to the after party at McGonagles too, and we had a great night there dancing away to a great selection of songs.

I have since seen Morrissey almost 60 times over the years, 12 times on the current tour. I have to say I enjoyed this tour immensly, and I will contiune to try to get to as many shows as I possibly can.

Hope I helped you out some bit going home....

Hi goinhome, I was a the Point Depot 29.9.91. That date changed my life. I joined the q at around 1pm that dull and overcast Sunday. There were about 20-30 fans already there. There were a few barriers set up to keep the start of the q in order. The atmosphere was fantastic, the air on anticipation was bubbling over. After what seemed like hours, Morrissey arrived at the venue, and most of the fans that were in the q raced after the vehicle, which soon disappeared down the side of the venue. Security shut the tall gates immediately. We went to the tall glass doors of the venue to see if we could catch a glimpse of the man himself. And sure enough eventually Morrissey appeared at the other side of the doors with venue people around him. I can remember thinking to myself that any minute now the glass would be smashed as we went a tad hysterical!

People were trying to take photos I had a camera , took some but when I got the film developed, none came out as the flash bounced off the glass, I was gutted. Once inside the venue (we were second row centre) the atmosphere was electric, the everlasting chants of morrissey morrissey morrissey were great. There were flowers overheads, waiting for the arrival to be thrown stageward bound. The support was Phranc, alone and with an accoustic guitar. She got a terrible time from the Morrissey fans, who just didnt want to wait a minute longer. She played a brief set.

Then the stage crew prepared the stage and equipment, and all of a sudden the intro tape was on the lights dimmed and the back curtain dropped. There was a huge roar from the crowd as Morrissey and the band ran on stage. He kicked off with Angel Angel and played an amazing gig. It was my first Morrissey show, I had travelled up from Cork. I got the bootleg the very next day from Crown Alley upstairs at a very well known bootlegger place. The quality wasn't great but I wore that tape out, and still have it to this day. I went to the after party at McGonagles too, and we had a great night there dancing away to a great selection of songs.

I have since seen Morrissey almost 60 times over the years, 12 times on the current tour. I have to say I enjoyed this tour immensly, and I will contiune to try to get to as many shows as I possibly can.

Hope I helped you out some bit going home....

Thanks for bringing it to life for us again with such exciting details, declan01, and for confirming support. I remember that bootleg place as well, and McGonigles, just about, with its unpredictable buzz. Apparently The Stone Roses played there - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055003238 .
Till the next Irish gig, in December, hopefully, sláinte, a chara!

Re: Supports for Kill Uncle & Later Tours

It may interest some of you to know that several songs by The Johnson Family, who supported Morrissey on a few dates in 1991, have only recently surfaced online, for example

Also a band called The Planet Rockers opened for him in USA in Autumn, reminiscent of Elvis, and they're still going - [youtube]XtwopthUQ3U&feature=related[/youtube]

A few more details yonder - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtwopthUQ3U&feature=related .

Back
Top Bottom