Any decent 2007 shows about?

dizzywhore_1804

A big-nose who knows...
Have any decent MP3 recordings of the 2007 shows turned up yet? Going through the old posts I can't see any...

I know there is the mad arrogance about MP3s but I listen to music all day on my iPod, so MP3/aac is the best for me....sorry if that makes me a bad fan :confused:

I'm especially after 'TLOTFI Playboys' live from 2007, but would like it within the context of a whole show.

Any other shows appreciated too :)

Thanks guys,

Si

Have any decent MP3 recordings of the 2007 shows turned up yet? Going through the old posts I can't see any...

I know there is the mad arrogance about MP3s but I listen to music all day on my iPod, so MP3/aac is the best for me....sorry if that makes me a bad fan :confused:

Well, just download the full, lossless files and convert them to MP3. Nothing difficult about that.

I have seen the 6 May 07 (Seattle, WA) and 14 May 07 (Ann Arbor, MI) shows on some torrent sites.

Most torrents are posted in FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec), but can easily be converted using a number of FREE programs. I have a Mac and perform the following:

1. Decode FLAC using xACT flac converter (this is for Macs)
2. Import into iTunes

That's it! So, I have a lossless CD for my stereo, but MP3's for the iPod, in the car, and elsewhere. If you have a PC, sorry...I don't deal w/ junk! ;) There are prog's for PC's that are also free and likely as easy to use.

xACT: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952

If you have a CD-R from a trade, just import the files into iTunes. Nothing simpler than that.

Jesus Christ this is so confusing :-s

If I didn't want these shows so much I'd just give up.

Why is there so much anti-MP3 feeling on this board? I'm sure the vast majority would be happy with MP3 (and God knows I would be)...

Am I allowed to ask someone with MP3 versions to private message them to me?

Don't ask. It all has to do with the people who recorded the shows not allowing us to distribute their shows in a lower sound quality format than FLAC. We do have someone who, to his credit, protests this a lot, but it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. The Denver show is also floating around, but I haven't seen it for awhile.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :)

Hey Dizzywhore, the main reason why many people don't like to circualte these shows in MP3 is because MP3's are LOSSY, meaning that there are sound frequenices that are removed from the original LOSSLESS file. Then, when someone really wants the original stuff, it is hard to find anything but lossy files. Sorta like if you made a cassette recording from a CD, passed out copies of the cassette to all your friends, and then could not find the CD. All you'd have are second-rate copies.

Some people are nuts about it. I am one who IS nuts about having the LOSSLESS files, but am also happy to convert so I can listen on my iPod. At home, I listen on a quality stereo system, and MP3/AAC/etc sound miserable on it.

I think some people invest WAY too much time in "protesting" against the stuck-up types who don't want to circulate lossy stuff. Those "audio-snobs," as some people call them, usually are posting their stuff on a number of free/public torrent sites.

Not saying that I am one of those snobs, but I just posted a show up on www.HungerCity.org that people here may want: The Smiths - Camden Electric Ballroom, 21 May 1983

EDIT: Oh, and nobody is depriving anyone of anything, when FREE downloadable players, like VLC, are available to play almost any kind of file you'd like to listen to. it just takes a little research on the listener's part.

Last edited:
Hey Dizzywhore, the main reason why many people don't like to circualte these shows in MP3 is because MP3's are LOSSY, meaning that there are sound frequenices that are removed from the original LOSSLESS file. Then, when someone really wants the original stuff, it is hard to find anything but lossy files. Sorta like if you made a cassette recording from a CD, passed out copies of the cassette to all your friends, and then could not find the CD. All you'd have are second-rate copies.

Some people are nuts about it. I am one who IS nuts about having the LOSSLESS files, but am also happy to convert so I can listen on my iPod. At home, I listen on a quality stereo system, and MP3/AAC/etc sound miserable on it.

I think some people invest WAY too much time in "protesting" against the stuck-up types who don't want to circulate lossy stuff. Those "audio-snobs," as some people call them, usually are posting their stuff on a number of free/public torrent sites.

Not saying that I am one of those snobs, but I just posted a show up on www.HungerCity.org that people here may want: The Smiths - Camden Electric Ballroom, 21 May 1983

EDIT: Oh, and nobody is depriving anyone of anything, when FREE downloadable players, like VLC, are available to play almost any kind of file you'd like to listen to. it just takes a little research on the listener's part.

Anyone who wants any of the 2007 shows that are avaliable in MP3...and avoid the WEEKS-Long Downloads and support the right to have MP3s freely avalible to others...feel free to check Drifter's site...or just ask...I'm sure any of us are willing to provide you with a copy of what is not being horded away the anal retentive....

BTW, There's also an MP3 Version of The Electric Ballroom show...if that's what you want to hear..and would prefer to avoid the time require to convert the files....

... when someone really wants the original stuff, it is hard to find anything but lossy files. Sorta like if you made a cassette recording from a CD, passed out copies of the cassette to all your friends, and then could not find the CD. All you'd have are second-rate copies.

This makes sense, and sorta what I'd figured out - but surely the reason we're all here is that we love Morrissey, and by excluding some people from listening to a lot of the shows it creates a 'them' and 'us' atmosphere.

I personally would just think that if I had a show that I enjoyed then I would like other people to enjoy it too, not worry that someone might get an inferior copy somewhere down the line...

Oh, and nobody is depriving anyone of anything, when FREE downloadable players, like VLC, are available to play almost any kind of file you'd like to listen to. it just takes a little research on the listener's part.

I have VLC player...can I therefore play flac files on it?

Sorry if I seem to be pushing this point but I don't get this thinking, almost everyone (especially music-lovers) has a portable MP3 player these days, so having MP3s readily available makes sense...

This makes sense, and sorta what I'd figured out - but surely the reason we're all here is that we love Morrissey, and by excluding some people from listening to a lot of the shows it creates a 'them' and 'us' atmosphere.

Dizzy, I think you are acting a bit melodramatic. When I post stuff up on a torrent site, I am not excluding anyone. Anyone who is able to d/l it can do whatever they want with it. I don't care. I don't issue dictates or tell people not to convert to MP3. (After all, I do for my own personal use)

That's sorta like saying that pricing a BMW at $40,000+ creates a 'them' and 'us' atmosphere. I'll just wait until someone else grabs it and I'll buy it used! Or the new iPhone for that matter. Some people have immediate access and others do not. That's life I suppose.

I have VLC player...can I therefore play flac files on it?

Sorry if I seem to be pushing this point but I don't get this thinking, almost everyone (especially music-lovers) has a portable MP3 player these days, so having MP3s readily available makes sense...

Yes, VLC plays FLAC, OGG, MP3, MP4, video and audio files, MPEGs, DVD's...

I don't have Blu-Ray, an X-Box 360, and a thousand other things I really want. It isn't a matter of "us and them," it's just that sometimes you have to wait.

If I come across a 2007 show I will immediately post it where everyone can grab it. Cross my heart! :)

Dizzy, I think you are acting a bit melodramatic. When I post stuff up on a torrent site, I am not excluding anyone. Anyone who is able to d/l it can do whatever they want with it. I don't care. I don't issue dictates or tell people not to convert to MP3. (After all, I do for my own personal use)

That's sorta like saying that pricing a BMW at $40,000+ creates a 'them' and 'us' atmosphere. I'll just wait until someone else grabs it and I'll buy it used! Or the new iPhone for that matter. Some people have immediate access and others do not. That's life I suppose.

Yes, VLC plays FLAC, OGG, MP3, MP4, video and audio files, MPEGs, DVD's...

I don't have Blu-Ray, an X-Box 360, and a thousand other things I really want. It isn't a matter of "us and them," it's just that sometimes you have to wait.

If I come across a 2007 show I will immediately post it where everyone can grab it. Cross my heart! :)

If people WANT FLAC they can download it.....If People want to share MP3 then let them...That's THEIR choice...It's STUPID and PATHETIC to tell people they need to LEARN to convert themselves...

It's a free country and if people WANT to Share MP3...Then By God, They have that right!!!

Don't ask. It all has to do with the people who recorded the shows not allowing us to distribute their shows in a lower sound quality format than FLAC. We do have someone who, to his credit, protests this a lot, but it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. The Denver show is also floating around, but I haven't seen it for awhile.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :)

It's okay...you can mention me by name...I don't mind...

And I usually shut my mouth once I've made my point

BTW, I happen to have these shows Avaliable upon request for MP3 download...and I'm sure Drifter has them on his site as well...I would have more too, but I'm not about to sell my left kidney to David Hamblin :rolleyes:

02-02-07 Pasadena Civic Auditorium, Pasadena CA (INC)
04-28-07 Celebrity Showroom, Sparks NV (INC)
05-06-07 Seattle, WA
05-09-07 Filmore, CO
05-14-07 Ann Arbor, MI
07-20-07 Atlanta, GA

Dizzy, I think you are acting a bit melodramatic.

I very well might be, but I don't think I'm any more OTT than the people who seem to think that MP3s are beneath them.

If you would put up the 2007 shows then that's fine, and pretty much all that anyone is asking for.

All I'm saying is that some people convert from FLAC to MP3 straight away, and with ease, but are prevented from letting a large amount of people from having it because the original poster would go mad...

And I don't really think that drawing parrallels between sharing MP3 concerts and consumerism really makes that much sense. I'm no expert but I can't believe that the sharing of these concerts is legal anyway (I could be wrong), so therefore no one person really has the 'right' to make demands of their recording...

I do have some sympathy for people find that converting confusing at first, but it's really very simple. Learn to use google and find instructions on almost anything.

Not as easy as you would think: gotta download the original FLAC, then download a program to convert it to MP3, then actually convert it...never to listen to the FLAC file again. Not to mention that you have to spend an hour or so downloading something (bringing the rest of your PC to a standstill) which you then have to spend ages converting again anyway.

Just a lot of time taken up which could be really cut down on.

Wouldn't it be easier for one person to convert it then be able to share?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom