Any advice on a good record player?

Hi all,

I been looking for a record player since a while for listening to my Moz collection, but it seems that there are so many options that I just can´t decide what´s the best...

Budget of $500-600 USD. Could I get something decent for that price? Any help?

Thanks,

you can get a good one for that price but goods all very subjective, especially when it comes to vinyl. fred your presence is requested here

You could get a lovely set up for that price. A nice turntable amp and speakers. I'd maybe look online at reviews but Pioneer and Technics are good brands, sure there's more though.

you can get a good one for that price but goods all very subjective, especially when it comes to vinyl. fred your presence is requested here

I honestly have a second hand turntable that works fine for me. Best bet is to get a nice used one honestly!

id go with freds advice as his knowledge of vinyl is impressive. its like blues guitars etc, some will say the best sound only comes out of old warped pieces and some will say thats utter bull. theres a lot of romance to vinyl that strongly effects opinion as ive been told by many an annoying audiophile

http://www.whathifi.com/rega/rp1/review

Just a thought does your amplifier have a phono stage? Many modern amps don't, a phono stage has pre amplification built in, a deck gives out such a small signal that an ordinary input won't work. If it doesnt you'll need to budget for a phono pre amp to go between turntable and amplifier. 70 dollars? for a good make. Sorry if you knew this just thought i'd mention.

Last edited:
that looks really nice, i have an older player as well for vinyl as i dont spin to much and it can be a hard thing to find a needle thatl fit the model anymore

OP -

All parts of the chain are equally important. So nobody here can give you any type of useful advice without knowing what you already have.

Do you have speakers already? If so what kind? Monitors or full range? Do you have an amp? If so, is it an integrated amp? Do you need a phono stage? If so, what kind MC or MM?

You can spend 500 to 600 on a TT but you might be wasting money if the rest of the system is garbage. Unless you already have a decent system with decent components, buy used and don't get a DJ TURNTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No technics no audio technica crap, unless you really want to damage your records.

Also buy a decent static brush and cleaner. A part of getting good sound from your records is keeping them PROPERLY clean.

Best regards,
A concerned audio nerd.

OP -

All parts of the chain are equally important. So nobody here can give you any type of useful advice without knowing what you already have.

Do you have speakers already? If so what kind? Monitors or full range? Do you have an amp? If so, is it an integrated amp? Do you need a phono stage? If so, what kind MC or MM?

You can spend 500 to 600 on a TT but you might be wasting money if the rest of the system is garbage. Unless you already have a decent system with decent components, buy used and don't get a DJ TURNTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No technics no audio technica crap, unless you really want to damage your records.

Also buy a decent static brush and cleaner. A part of getting good sound from your records is keeping them PROPERLY clean.

Best regards,
A concerned audio nerd.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I´ll need to get speakers and amp as well. Could you recommend me some (not so brutally expensive)?

Also, what´s the difference between monitors and full range speakers? And as per the phono stage, what does MC and MM means?

Thanks again,

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I´ll need to get speakers and amp as well. Could you recommend me some (not so brutally expensive)?

Also, what´s the difference between monitors and full range speakers? And as per the phono stage, what does MC and MM means?

Thanks again,

MC= Moving Coil. MM= Moving Magnet. Monitors(bookshelf) versus full range pretty much range, monitors don't have depth in the low end in your price range.

You want a decent system that will last? Go used, for everything. My suggestion, up your budget to $1000.

Speakers: check wharfedale or monitor audio. You can grab some monitors for 300ish but make sure you get stands, very important.

Table. Look for a used entry level Project, Rega, Music Hall with a MM cartridge included 300ish

Integrated Amp / Reciever: this will be harder, don't bother with vintage components. Look for something analog, late 90's early 00's. Should include a MM phono stage. Go to Audiogon and you'll find something decent. 250ish

Spend the rest on some decent cables. Go to Blue Jean for those.

Back
Top Bottom