Anti War Rally - February 15th

Re: RESPECT MY RIGHT TO THINK YOU ARE AN IGNORANT BIGOT -- THANK YOU, COME AGAIN.

while i see your point, i was referring to oaf's tendancy to make sweeping generalizations in other posts, which he DOES in fact do. i am not a religious freak. it doesn't offend me on a personal level when he does this. it does however offend me on an intellectual level. everyone makes generalizations sometimes. i do it. you do it. he does it. but it's wrong to present your opinions as fact, which is what he does. he HAS said that a peace-loving islam is an oxymoron, but tries to say that i have said the same about republicans, which is asinine. now i am no stranger to criticizing religions, but i don't condemn an entire people because of the beliefs of a few whacked out extremists. anyway, i defend people/groups all the time who i don't like against the unfair and incorrect statements made against them because i know how it feels. when people find out i used to be a mormon, they still ask me if all mormons really believe that black people are "red-eyed monkeys" or similar stupid questions. growing up, i thought vegetarianism was pretty damn stupid, but i still defended it against ignorant people who made bizarre comments about it.

the bottom line is that religious beliefs are intensely personal things. unless a belief hurts someone, you can't really say it's wrong. i mean, i could say a lot of things about christians who actually still think that the creation story is literally true. but then again, i won't because it doesn't hurt me any! it doesn't hurt anybody else either as long as they keep it out of schools (i.e. leaving science to the schools and religion to the church, the family or the individual). therefore, i think i am right to say that oaf is ignorant for condemning an entire faith. it's too subjective and it defies reason. i mean, there is not a single religion that can be proved either true or false in spirit. creation myths can be proven to be literally untrue, but the essence of a religion cannot be. i am an atheist as i have said before, but i respect other people's rights to worship god any way they choose so long as it doesn't hurt anybody.

lastly, to confront some of what oaf has said about islam being excessively oppressive, i must agree that it is true in fundamentalist cases. the religion is marked by some misogyny and that is unfortunate, but many muslim women in western countries (and even in certain eastern ones) enjoy the same freedoms and exposure to new ideas as non muslim women, yet many of them still choose to wear their head coverings and do other things that are part of their religion and culture. i think it's wrong to, as oaf as done, chalk all of this up to religion. it's also a cultural thing. and finally, it is wrong to act so holier than thou when many western religions and cultures also oppress women or have done so in the recent past (as america has). i think all cultures mature at different rates and we can't just decide that the point we are in our history is the very zenith of humanity and therefore make rules for the rest of the world to live by.

was thinking about oaf's post again and...

i just realized how weird it is that he's acting all victim-y, with his demand that i respect his right to dissent. what exactly is he dissenting? if the polls are to be believed, nearly half of america thinks the same way he does. furthermore, he is on the side of the government. so what exactly is he dissenting? or rather, what is he defending? he has no need for dissent. he can disagree with what i and crushingbore and others on the board have said, but it's not like he's up against some great organization that is going to crush him for disagreeing with it. on the contrary, he is on the side of such an organization that seeks to crush free thought and real dissent. so i really think oaf needs to stop playing the poor little victim just because people call him on his shit.

Re: was thinking about oaf's post again and...

> i just realized how weird it is that he's acting all victim-y, with his
> demand that i respect his right to dissent.

Don't ya think maybe I was spoofing the way the anti-American crowd always
says that?

>what exactly is he dissenting?
> if the polls are to be believed, nearly half of america thinks the same
> way he does. furthermore, he is on the side of the government.

No, actually, Bush agrees with you about Islam being a "peace-loving" religion.

> Don't ya think maybe I was spoofing the way the anti-American crowd always
> says that?

there you go again, oaf. so it's anti-american to be pro-peace?

> No, actually, Bush agrees with you about Islam being a
> "peace-loving" religion.

oh whoopee for me. that's called PR.

Re: Bengali

> It is an awful song! The music and words have no passion or purpose
> whatsoever. the band almost sound embarrassed to play it, its so
> half-arsed

Don't talk shite. It's brrrrrrrrilliant.

You, sir, have ears made of the finest cloth.

Re: Bengali

> Don't talk shite. It's brrrrrrrrilliant.

> You, sir, have ears made of the finest cloth.

hmmm. My cloth ears tell me its the weakest song on Viva Hate...apart from Dial-A-Clich and Margaret...

> there you go again, oaf. so it's anti-american to be pro-peace?

Everyone's pro-peace. Well, except Saddam and the like.

> oh whoopee for me. that's called PR.

No it isn't. Bush is a huge religious jack-off and loves Islam because muslims have religious faith... even though it's different than his. Anyone who knows anything about Bush knows his views on religions.

> Everyone's pro-peace. Well, except Saddam and the like.

you're pro-peace? could have fooled me. bush is pro-peace? so i guess that's why he was talking about war with iraq back on september 12th practically.

> No it isn't. Bush is a huge religious jack-off and loves Islam because
> muslims have religious faith... even though it's different than his.
> Anyone who knows anything about Bush knows his views on religions.

well i know bush is a "religious jackoff," but i don't think he actually thinks islam is a good religion or anything. he's one of those born again christian types and they tend to be very intolerant of other religions. he just has to say those things or else he'd anger a lot of non extreme muslim groups.

Back
Top Bottom