Anti-Morrissey Immunisation

G

goinghome

The AV Club has done its homework and compiled 15 song-tracks which, though hardly panegyrics to Morrissey, seem like a bunch of more or less pathetic statements as handled in the commentary:

1. Ween, “I Hate The Smiths”
Even if you’re among Morrissey’s multitude of fanatic followers, you have to admit: The warbling, self-absorbed, occasionally arrogant former Smiths singer can be kind of ridiculous. And his inflammatory statements over the years—including recent remarks about the Chinese being a subspecies of humanity—often try the patience of his most ardent fans. So it’s no wonder that the moody crooner is the subject of more than a few hate-songs. Ween’s “I Hate The Smiths” is a classic of that tiny sub-subgenre: Recorded during a live radio broadcast and appearing on the bootleg album Kerry’s Picks, Dean and Gene Ween’s goofy rant starts out good-naturedly enough with the line “All you do is hate life and tell me about it.” But then it degenerates—as far too many anti-Morrissey songs do—into middle-school homophobia: “You’re a homosexual / Just keep me out of it.” Morrissey, of course, has sung about his sexuality extensively throughout the years, but the nature of that sexuality remains ambiguous—which renders “I Hate The Smiths” not only technically inaccurate, but more damning of Ween than of Morrissey. That said, it is kind of catchy... -

http://www.avclub.com/articles/viva-hate-15-antimorrissey-songs,45877/

Thank you very much goinghome.

However, 'Lighten Up Morrissey' by Sparks isn't anti-Morrissey song. :rolleyes:

I have to say "Who?" to the names of most of those groups listed.

It's really offensive and ridiculous.
I won't miss my chance of doing something to them...

I think the fact that so many people have spent such energy on saying how much they dislike him merely reinforces the notion of how important and interesting he is.

Of that list, I've only even heard of Electronic/Pet Shops Boys and Sparks. The rest sound bloody awful.

Ugh, this is almost as annoying as my friends who tell me how much they dislike Morrissey (admittedly they do it partly to wind me up) and then go round singing Smiths songs. :mad:

The AV Club has done its homework and compiled 15 song-tracks which, though hardly panegyrics to Morrissey, seem like a bunch of more or less pathetic statements as handled in the commentary:

1. Ween, “I Hate The Smiths”
Even if you’re among Morrissey’s multitude of fanatic followers, you have to admit: The warbling, self-absorbed, occasionally arrogant former Smiths singer can be kind of ridiculous. And his inflammatory statements over the years—including recent remarks about the Chinese being a subspecies of humanity—often try the patience of his most ardent fans. So it’s no wonder that the moody crooner is the subject of more than a few hate-songs. Ween’s “I Hate The Smiths” is a classic of that tiny sub-subgenre: Recorded during a live radio broadcast and appearing on the bootleg album Kerry’s Picks, Dean and Gene Ween’s goofy rant starts out good-naturedly enough with the line “All you do is hate life and tell me about it.” But then it degenerates—as far too many anti-Morrissey songs do—into middle-school homophobia: “You’re a homosexual / Just keep me out of it.” Morrissey, of course, has sung about his sexuality extensively throughout the years, but the nature of that sexuality remains ambiguous—which renders “I Hate The Smiths” not only technically inaccurate, but more damning of Ween than of Morrissey. That said, it is kind of catchy... -

http://www.avclub.com/articles/viva-hate-15-antimorrissey-songs,45877/

Racism is "ridiculous" and "inflammatory" but "middle-school homophobia" is perfectly acceptable as long as the song is catchy. Got it, AV Club.

Most of these barely even qualify as anti-Morrissey songs.

The Meatmen's "Morrissey Must Die" is quite an enjoyable romp, actually. The band recorded a version of "How Soon is Now?" for a tribute comp, so like all of Tesco Vee's work, it must be taken with several large helpings of salt.

Surprised they neglected Mojo Nixon's "Girlfriend in a Coma" cover, which is a fairly interesting cover version with a humorous anti-Moz rant 2/3 of the way through.

Back
Top Bottom