Anti - Monarchy Quotes

virtually dead

Simply Thrilled, Honey
I'm writing a peice on the monarchy and I wanna get Moz in it somehow.:)

so, if any of you can get me any quotes of Morrissey, Oscar Wilde, Billy Brag, really anyone worth quoting that would be lovely of you. :D

thanks
Virtie

Thanks for that. :)
Ah now I have an excuse to troll endlessly through old interviews! :D

right, does anyone know a specific interiew? :p
My head hurts! I tried Kewpie, I tried! :p
Or a website where they're gloriously grouped together? :D

These are both from wikiquote, not sure when they're from. Goodluck on essay :)

"I’m personally not fooled by the monarchy. Whereas one can set the Queen aside and acknowledge that she means a great deal to many people, that is not the case with the rest of the so-called Royal Family. We don’t need to support all those people. I’m not fooled by William or Harry, who just seem like arrogant, despicable people. They’re not of the modern world."

"Actually I despise royalty. I always have done. It's fairy story nonsense. The very idea of their existence in these days when people are dying daily because they don't have enough money to operate one's radiator in the house, to me is immoral. As far as I can see, money spent on royalty is money burnt. I've never met anyone who supports royalty, and believe me I've searched. Okay, so there's some deaf and elderly pensioner in Hartlepool who has pictures of Prince Edward pinned on the toilet seat, but I know streams of people who can't wait to get rid of them. It's a false devotion anyway. I think it's fascist and very, very cruel. To me there's something dramatically ugly about a person who can wear a dress for £6,000 when at the same time there are people who can't afford to eat. When she puts on that dress for £6,000 the statement she is making to the nation is: "I am the fantastically gifted royalty, and you are the snivelling peasants." The very idea that people would be interested in the facts about this dress is massively insulting to the human race"

Thank you, you are without doubt a wonderful person ;)

Thank you, I certainly have a fun night ahead of me! :D

"Money spent on royalty is money burnt" March 1985

"The writers and designers of spitting image should be unmercifully sued for making the Royal family seem generally more attractive and intelligent than they actually are." 1985

"I couldn't believe the number of people outside the palce on the Queen Mother's birthday. If the woman had died there would have been less. And I'd have been there hammering the nails in the coffin to make sure she was in there." 1985

From the Morrissey in Quotes book. I'll put some more up if you want.

Last edited:
wonderful, if you have any more then sure I'd love to see them!:)

As requested

"All the individuals within the Royal Family, they're so magnificently, unaccountably and unpardonably boring." June 1986

"I despise royalty. I always have done. It's fairy story nonsense, the very idea of their existence in these days when people are dying daily because they don't have enough money to operate one radiator in the house; to me it's immoral." March 1985

"I've never met anyone who supports royalty, and believe me I've searched. OK, so there's some deaf and elderly pensioner in Hartlepool who has pictures of Prince Edward pinned on the toilet seat, but I know streams of people who can't wait to get rid of them." March 1985

"It's disgusting, when you consider what minimal contribution they make in helping people. They never under any circumstances make a useful statement about the world or people's lives. The whole thing seems a joke, a hideous joke. We don't believe in leprechauns so why should we believe in the Queen." June 1986

I had discussion with nightandday last night about the subject on "You Have Killed Me lyrics observation" thread.

Unfortunately I cannot point out the exact interview which nightandday was quoting, but you can read old interviews from http://www.motorcycleaupairboy.com
Actually it was 'Julia is no. 1 fan, who's no.2' thread : http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=65783&page=2

Unfortunately, I can't remember which interview it was, and I can't find it on motorcycleaupairboy either.

But here are a few other quotes I've managed to find in this short time:

"They are so staid and uninteresting. Has Diana ever uttered a sentence of any vague interest or use to the world?

"The establishment -- the Monarchy and the government -- don't care as far as I can see. Many of them are of advanced years but they do nothing for old people. People in Britain are dying from poverty and cold because they can't afford heating. Others will never ever work again. But if you say these things people stare at you as if you're mad. If Live Aid had been about English poverty it would never have got off the ground, never received a minute's airplay. Because it was far away and somehow glamorous you could get lost in the charitable hypnosis."

(No. 1, June 28, 1986)
http://foreverill.com/interviews/1986/bigmouth.htm

a couple of quotes where he touches on the subject of the monarchy/Royals:

about Band Aid:

'The whole implication was to save these people in Ethiopia, but who were they asking to save them? Some 13-year-old girl in Wigan! People like Thatcher and the royals could solve the Ethiopian problem within ten seconds. But Band Aid shied away from saying that — for heaven's sake, it was almost directly aimed at unemployed people.'

(Time Out, 1985)
http://foreverill.com/interviews/1985/charming.htm

about the fascination with 60s criminals such as the Krays and the Richardsons:

"I've always been of the opinion that they, and especially the Krays and the Richardsons, were very style conscious and well-mannared. I can't but admire people who manage to heckle the British establishment and the Royal House by commiting different kinds of crimes. And still being considered glamorous role models to the British people and who make them, or more correctly us, laugh at laws and orders."

(Slitz, September 1992)

I'm sure there are many more in radio / picture disc interviews, but I'd have to take the time to listen to them again and then tell you.

This is erm not Morrissey but it still made me laugh. On Prince Charlie:

"He might believe that cancer can be cured by daily coffee enemas, but the heir apparent does make a nice sausage. Maybe this is because those freely ranging Duchy of Cornwall pigs spend the summer months on the Highgrove estate rolling around in 'cooling mud baths'. Sometimes, when schedules allow, Charles even finds the time to join them (that's after he's stuffed half a jar of Gold Roast up his arse).

Now, some people might say: look, he doesn't exactly make the food himself, he gets some farmhand to do it all for three lumps of coal and an orange at Christmas and what's he doing owning a whole f***ing county anyway isn't it the 21st century and now he's decided he hates science too the f***ing freak and if people shouldn't be getting above their station why doesn't he try a bit of agricultural labouring himself the thick f*** and anyway if he really loved his people he'd give all the biscuits and sausages away for free the usurious c***. That is what some people might say. But not me. I like the sausages and let that be an end to the matter.

Other than that, though, I haven't got a good word to say about the loony, feudal, shithead, jug-eared parasite bastard."

- Steve Lowe and Alan McArthur, Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?, 2005

however hilarious it may be...it's a school essay! but thanks lilybett :)

however hilarious it may be...it's a school essay! but thanks lilybett :)

I will paypal you three British pounds if you include that in your school essay. I think your teacher will be more appreciative than you imagine! :p

3 quid! that's blue blooded murder that is! :p

The Diana Spencer and 2 O-levels on the Russell Brand interview was pure class.

In this essay can you get in Zara Phillips??? I'm still shocked. Hope Moz mentions this as he collects the icon award...

Back
Top Bottom