Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" / Los Angeles features Morrissey fans and Chicano community

Segment at end of show on Morrissey/Smiths fans in Los Angeles includes interviews and clips of a MorrisseyOKE karaoke night in Boyle Heights.

Excerpt from Bourdain’s Field Notes / Los Angeles:

Around halfway through the shoot, somebody called me and asked if I knew about “the Morrissey thing.” They said, “Morrissey is HUGE with Chicanos! Check it out.”

This seemed, frankly, an incongruous if not an outright unbelievable assertion.

If true, what was it about Morrissey—an English son of Irish immigrants, famous for his songs about doomed love, bad sex, homoeroticism, vulnerability, and alienation—that resonated so powerfully with Mexican-Americans?

So I started asking everybody I spoke with as we filmed—from Ultimate Fighting stars Nate and Nick Diaz and Gilbert Melendez—to action hero Danny Trejo. (None of them had much idea who Morrissey was—or gave a ****). But just about everybody else smiled when I asked the question. Often a shy, knowing smile was followed by the kind of answer that makes an interviewer hold his breath, hoping the answer goes on and on.

In the end, I think, this question cracked the code. You’ll have to watch to see what the hell I’m talking about.

Link posted by an anonymous person (original post):

Rene writes:

During a segment with actor Danny Trejo, "Parts Unknown" host Anthony Bourdain brought up Morrissey's popularity in the Hispanic culture.

Bourdain: "Are you a Morrissey fan by any chance?"

Trejo: "Morrissey?"

Bourdain: "Like from his band The Smiths- it's like a British rock band of the late '80's- that is apparently hugely popular with the Chicano community. So, you have not been touched by this?"

Unfortunately, Trejo is no Moz fan, answering "I'm an oldies guy, you know what I mean?"

Not the answer we may have hoped for as fellow Morrissey fans, but still a nice mention on CNN tonight.

39967_IMG_0928.jpg

Related items:

Last edited:
I just caught the end of the show where they talk about Moz and why Mexican Americans connect so much with his music.I didn`t catch the Danny Trejo part.It was pretty interesting and they played "Irish Blood English Heart" at the end of the show.

Anthony Bourdain:

"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn.

To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold.

Oh, I'll accomodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine."

Anthony Bourdain:

"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn.

To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold.

Oh, I'll accomodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine."

Stop! You're making me hungry.

I reckon the real cholos in Moz Angeles don't like Uncle Steve. I wish Bourdain would finally admit his man crush on Mayor of Malibu Steve Morrissey. He has made huge food shows with Steve's idols Buster Poindexter and James Newell Osterberg, Jr. chomping on steaks and is constantly making vegetarian innuendo "Morrissey jokes"

Reckon there are a lot of Steve Morrissey fans in LA that are not Mexicans inn it.

Wow - Morrissey is popular with Mexicans - what stunning news, why has no-one covered this before? :rolleyes:

with all respect, just give some credits for the Sweet and Tender Hooligans, a Morrissey-the Smiths cover band, with latino members innit, and singer Jose Maldano...they have been around for some time, and played a lot of gigs in latino, mexican part of LA. They get the spirit going on.
Their popularity growded.

I think I get thrown with negative comments, but I just type on 'send'

You've disappointed me immensely Tony. Instead of using the far reaching power of CNN to teach compassion, you've used it to propagate murder. This is deeper than a cultural expose' Tony. Do you really think The Wild Turkey can't see through your lies?

It was a bit of a dick move to talk about meat so much while in Moz Angeles. There should be a TTY statement forthcoming.

danny trejos a good guy in the film world,nobody will say a bad word against him...the smiths were a band of the late 80s,the late 80s for me are 88 and 89.isnt on virgin either.

Anthony Bourdain:"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold."

thanks torrmoz for pointing out the spreading of misinformation and ignorance.

I haven't had a cold all winter, while all the meat eaters around me were covered head to toe in their own phlegm. So chew on that and choke Anthony Boredain ! you killer of life... hater of life. :angry: :straightface:

We'll Let You Know rated your post
clear.png
Troll in this thread :laughing:

WE'LL LET YOU TROLL :flowers:

Last edited:
thanks torrmoz for pointing out the spreading of misinformation and ignorance.

I haven't had a cold all winter, while all the meat eaters around me were covered head to toe in their own phlegm. So chew on that and choke Anthony Boredain ! you killer of life... hater of life. :angry: :straightface:

Do you call all carnivores a 'killer of life' as well, including cats, dogs, lions, etc who tuck into a nice bit of meat?

You've disappointed me immensely Tony. Instead of using the far reaching power of CNN to teach compassion, you've used it to propagate murder. This is deeper than a cultural expose' Tony. Do you really think The Wild Turkey can't see through your lies?

CNN and compassion in the same sentence... interesting. And delusional.

Lol.

But on the other hand the fact that it's still going strong around 30 years later shows it's not just a fad.

Long after Moz is gone, there will be paintings of him up on Mexican walls like Jesus. That's comforting.

Wow - Morrissey is popular with Mexicans - what stunning news, why has no-one covered this before? :rolleyes:

with all respect, just give some credits for the Sweet and Tender Hooligans, a Morrissey-the Smiths cover band, with latino members innit, and singer Jose Maldano...they have been around for some time, and played a lot of gigs in latino, mexican part of LA. They get the spirit going on.
Their popularity growded.

I think I get thrown with negative comments, but I just type on 'send'
I honestly prefer This Charming Band. I don't really care for tributes where it seems the people involved can't separate themselves from the people they are imitating. It's really odd to me.

Do you call all carnivores a 'killer of life' as well, including cats, dogs, lions, etc who tuck into a nice bit of meat?

yes. What would you call it? To take the life of another animal for what ever reason is called 'killing'.

do humans not have brains intelligent enough to build society, to use science to better themselves and most importantly to live outside the cycle of predator/hunter and be preyed upon by other animals by having to survive in the wilds? If you still live in a hut or cave in the jungle, then I say, yes of course, go do what one must do to survive, but I don't feel that's the case. Then one must take in all the intelligent reasons for becoming vegan in order not to destroy this planet, which eating animals plays a large role in doing.

On the subject of pets...

'The question of vegan dogs and cats is one that is frequently framed in the form of the objection, But you feed your dogs and cats meat; that’s not vegan! Elsewhere it arises among vegans themselves who, by definition, seek to eliminate the use of animal products wherever possible, but who find themselves confronted with a difficult dilemma when it comes to what to feed the companion animals in their care.

Let’s start with dogs. Dogs are not obligate carnivores, and in fact much of the scientific literature classifies them as omnivores. Regardless, dogs can and do easily thrive on a properly formulated vegan diet, and this can be accomplished by feeding them a ready-made vegan dog food, of which several brands exist, or preparing a whole foods vegetable diet for them that includes things like rice, sweet potatoes or carrots, lentils, and other veggies many dogs love, along with any needed supplements. You can find abundant testimonies and successful recipes from guardians of longtime healthy vegan dogs online. In fact, one of the longest-lived recorded dogs in history (25 years), Bramble, was vegan and her story is quite famous. She is the first of many vegan dogs profiled here.

As for felines: there is more legitimate concern around the subject of raising cats on a vegan diet because cats are considered true carnivores. However, this does not mean they cannot obtain all the nutrients they need from synthetically supplemented vegan cat food. The most commonly circulated objection to vegan cats has been disproven, which is the argument that cats cannot obtain the crucial nutrient taurine from a vegan diet. Vegan cat foods are formulated with synthetic taurine. But so, it turns out, are nearly all meat-based cat foods.

While cats have no problem deriving taurine from freshly killed animals in nature, the kibble and canned food we buy for them in stores is made from slaughterhouse by-products, or those bits of slaughtered animals deemed unfit for human consumption and “rendered” in a denaturing process that strips them of any remaining taurine (and many other nutrients). As a result, most dog and cat food producers add synthetic taurine (and other nutrients) to their products, and this same supplement is added to vegan cat foods. The greater risk for cats is that some cats fed even the most nutritionally balanced vegan cat food end up developing serious urinary tract problems (mainly the development of crystals and blockages in their bladders) that can be painful and even fatal. You can read more about this here.

However, many cats are documented as having lived to a ripe old age, and in flourishing good health, on a properly formulated and supplemented vegan diet. At one page devoted to vegan dogs and cats, the authors write: “The nutritional needs of dogs and cats are easily met with a balanced vegan diet and certain supplements. James Peden, author of Vegetarian Cats & Dogs, developed Vegepet™ supplements to add to vegetarian and vegan recipes. They are nutritionally balanced and also come in special formulas for kittens, puppies, and lactating cats and dogs.” (Read stories of individual cats living well on meat-free diets, here).'

from... http://freefromharm.org/common-justifications-for-eating-animals/vegan-dogs-and-cats/

You've failed Tony. All these years and you're only now beginning to ask people if they like Morrissey. Don't you really think that you should've been asking people if they like Morrissey and Wild Turkeys all along?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom