another show, another celtic strip, have they no taste?

P

pubrockcoma

i think a collection should be taken for this poor bewildered gentleman who seems to follow morrissey wearing an assortment of celtic football club jerseys (see Morrissey tour for the evidence)

no doubt he thinks morrissey supports celtic due to their deluded republican / ira sympathies.

much like the goons who go see U2 / rod stewart etc and believe by flying the tricolour & wearing the hoops they are reclaiming ireland from the oh so awful british......

check your passport.

Re: Easy, geezer. We're all friends here.

> i think a collection should be taken for this poor bewildered gentleman
> who seems to follow morrissey wearing an assortment of celtic football
> club jerseys (see Morrissey tour for the evidence)

> no doubt he thinks morrissey supports celtic due to their deluded
> republican / ira sympathies.

> much like the goons who go see U2 / rod stewart etc and believe by flying
> the tricolour & wearing the hoops they are reclaiming ireland from the
> oh so awful british......

> check your passport.

I've met plenty of English people who have republican sympathies. They would prefer the abolition of the monarchy and the UK to have a republican system of government - with an elected president as head of state. Just like our friends in the USA, France and God knows how many other countries.
They are also fervently pro-English and have no sympathy for the ira whatsoever. So to bracket 'republican/ira' is a wee bit daft.
I also think everyone should be allowed to wear what they want. If people at a U2 or Rod Stewart gig wave the tricolour and wear the hoops, then so what? Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead at either gig.
Not even if Anna Friel said,
"Come to see U2 with me or we're finished."
She would soon change her mind of course. And who could blame her?

By the way, I'm looking for new friends here. Fancy hanging out and maybe get a few others on board? Start a new gang?

> I've met plenty of English people who have republican sympathies. They
> would prefer the abolition of the monarchy and the UK to have a republican
> system of government - with an elected president as head of state. Just
> like our friends in the USA, France and God knows how many other
> countries.
> They are also fervently pro-English and have no sympathy for the ira
> whatsoever. So to bracket 'republican/ira' is a wee bit daft.
> I also think everyone should be allowed to wear what they want. If people
> at a U2 or Rod Stewart gig wave the tricolour and wear the hoops, then so
> what? Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead at either gig.
> Not even if Anna Friel said,
> "Come to see U2 with me or we're finished."
> She would soon change her mind of course. And who could blame her?

> By the way, I'm looking for new friends here. Fancy hanging out and maybe
> get a few others on board? Start a new gang?

I'm all for people wearing what they like, just think there is a time and place for football tops (personally find it a bit sad for adults to be wearing them anyway, and thats me speaking as a hardcore supporter who goes everywhere to see my team...too many fatties squeezing into badly fitting, poor quality material, not a pretty sight!) and at a music concert is not one of them.

you going to the edinburgh show?
i'll be the one in the morrissey tshirt!

> i think a collection should be taken for this poor bewildered gentleman
> who seems to follow morrissey wearing an assortment of celtic football
> club jerseys (see Morrissey tour for the evidence)

> no doubt he thinks morrissey supports celtic due to their deluded
> republican / ira sympathies.

> much like the goons who go see U2 / rod stewart etc and believe by flying
> the tricolour & wearing the hoops they are reclaiming ireland from the
> oh so awful british......

> check your passport.

Being that I am that bewildered gentleman, I feel the desire to respond to you. God knows why, I'm confidant your mind is closed. I don't always wear a celtic top, plus I doubt Morrissey has much interest in football at all. You've noticed me then? I wonder if my tops have had the same effect on Mozz. Celtic have no connection to the IRA. The club welcomes all, regardless of colour, religion or political view, blah-de-blah. I am Scottish (see Morrissey tour for the evidence).

I lost my near Celtic top somewhere near Liverpool street station. If you want to arrange a search party for it's safe return, I'd thank you. Alternatively, if you do have a collection, could you buy me a replacement, complete with MORRISSEY 23 on the back of the jersey? Any extra money you collect could maybe be given to Zero tolerance or maybe you could buy a book and educate yourself??

I will never be you.

> I'm all for people wearing what they like, just think there is a time and
> place for football tops (personally find it a bit sad for adults to be
> wearing them anyway, and thats me speaking as a hardcore supporter who
> goes everywhere to see my team...too many fatties squeezing into badly
> fitting, poor quality material, not a pretty sight!) and at a music
> concert is not one of them.

> you going to the edinburgh show?
> i'll be the one in the morrissey tshirt!

I follow Celtic with a passion, rarely missing a game home or away. Maybe the running around following Celtic and Morrissey ensures that I keep lean. I'm no fatty!

> Being that I am that bewildered gentleman, I feel the desire to respond to
> you. God knows why, I'm confidant your mind is closed. I don't always wear
> a celtic top, plus I doubt Morrissey has much interest in football at all.
> You've noticed me then? I wonder if my tops have had the same effect on
> Mozz. Celtic have no connection to the IRA. The club welcomes all,
> regardless of colour, religion or political view, blah-de-blah. I am
> Scottish (see Morrissey tour for the evidence).

> I lost my near Celtic top somewhere near Liverpool street station. If you
> want to arrange a search party for it's safe return, I'd thank you.
> Alternatively, if you do have a collection, could you buy me a
> replacement, complete with MORRISSEY 23 on the back of the jersey? Any
> extra money you collect could maybe be given to Zero tolerance or maybe
> you could buy a book and educate yourself??

> I will never be you.

no connection with the ira? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha do you actually hear any of the songs your fellow fans sing?

i just find it strange that you choose to wear your celtic tops at both moz gigs i've seen photos of you at (no doubt you had one of the tops on at dublin as well?), why the need to wear the celtic top at a music concert...surely wearing a morrissey tshirt would be more fitting????

> I'm all for people wearing what they like, just think there is a time and
> place for football tops (personally find it a bit sad for adults to be
> wearing them anyway, and thats me speaking as a hardcore supporter who
> goes everywhere to see my team...too many fatties squeezing into badly
> fitting, poor quality material, not a pretty sight!) and at a music
> concert is not one of them.

> you going to the edinburgh show?
> i'll be the one in the morrissey tshirt!

I'm actually starting to give the Embra show some thought. It might be the only decent venue he plays in this part of the world this year.
Might see you there. If you're wearing a Moz t-shirt, you should be pretty easy to spot.
I'll be wearing a pair of grey longjohns, tied around the chest with a piece of white rope.
Come up and say awright.

> no connection with the ira? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha do you actually
> hear any of the songs your fellow fans sing?

> i just find it strange that you choose to wear your celtic tops at both
> moz gigs i've seen photos of you at (no doubt you had one of the tops on
> at dublin as well?), why the need to wear the celtic top at a music
> concert...surely wearing a morrissey tshirt would be more fitting????

Come on geezer. You know fine well it's ridiculous to suggest that Celtic have any connections like that.
Some of the fans come out with Irish rebel songs, but only when they're playing away from home, and have been taunted by the home fans singing anti-catholic songs. Which happens just about everywhere they go.
Look at the stuff Rangers fans come out with at HOME, never mind away.
Is that because Rangers have connections with the uvf?
Gimme a break.

> Come on geezer. You know fine well it's ridiculous to suggest that Celtic
> have any connections like that.
> Some of the fans come out with Irish rebel songs, but only when they're
> playing away from home, and have been taunted by the home fans singing
> anti-catholic songs. Which happens just about everywhere they go.
> Look at the stuff Rangers fans come out with at HOME, never mind away.
> Is that because Rangers have connections with the uvf?
> Gimme a break.

we could bore each other here to death detailing the various incarnations of what was originally a british army unit (36th brigade) before becoming a paramilitary unit in the 60's as a result of changing times in northern ireland.

suffice to say that both rangers and celtic have their extreme fanbase that love to play the freedom fighter when it suits...usually thousands of miles away from belfast.

> we could bore each other here to death detailing the various incarnations
> of what was originally a british army unit (36th brigade) before becoming
> a paramilitary unit in the 60's as a result of changing times in northern
> ireland.

> suffice to say that both rangers and celtic have their extreme fanbase
> that love to play the freedom fighter when it suits...usually thousands of
> miles away from belfast.

Both clubs do indeed have their share of unsavoury fans, though I'm sure you'll agree that there's a big difference in decent behaviour between the clubs themselves.
Celtic have never discriminated against anyone on religious grounds. Rangers actively did, right up until the late 1980's.
In fact, Celtic's most successful employee, who coached them to win the European Cup (Jock Stein) was protestant.
A Celtic vice-chairman hasn't been exposed on film leading the singing of sectarian songs. Unlike the Rangers vice-chairman (Donald Findlay) in 1999. 1999!!!!
Only a couple of weeks ago,(that's right, in 2004!!!) a Rangers player (Bob Malcolm)was exposed as having written an anti-catholic message alongside his autograph, which he signed for a fan.
Contests between them on the park are often close (although not this season), but off the park it's no contest.
As my new mate and a seemingly decent guy, I'm sure you'll agree.

> Both clubs do indeed have their share of unsavoury fans, though I'm sure
> you'll agree that there's a big difference in decent behaviour between the
> clubs themselves.
> Celtic have never discriminated against anyone on religious grounds.
> Rangers actively did, right up until the late 1980's.
> In fact, Celtic's most successful employee, who coached them to win the
> European Cup (Jock Stein) was protestant.
> A Celtic vice-chairman hasn't been exposed on film leading the singing of
> sectarian songs. Unlike the Rangers vice-chairman (Donald Findlay) in
> 1999. 1999!!!!
> Only a couple of weeks ago,(that's right, in 2004!!!) a Rangers player
> (Bob Malcolm)was exposed as having written an anti-catholic message
> alongside his autograph, which he signed for a fan.
> Contests between them on the park are often close (although not this
> season), but off the park it's no contest.
> As my new mate and a seemingly decent guy, I'm sure you'll agree.

i'll agree you have re-written history...much like the catholic church.

some point on celtic:

set up by catholics, for catholics (religious apartheid started there first, rangers merely , with the influx of ulster protestants into the govan shipyards in the early 1900's reflected the protestant working class.

celtic threatened to stop playing football and switch to gaelic football in protest about the flying the tricolour from their stadium. (1950's)

celtic refused to give jock stein a directorship and shabbily treated the man merely becuase he was a protestant. (1970's)

danny mcgrain was refused a coaching role because he was a protestant. (1980's)

celtic allowed parkhead to be used for a pro-ira video by the wolfetones.(1980's)

celtic taking a republican flute band on a preseaon fixture to manchester.(70's)

i could go on.

there is no doubt rangers continually are represented as the more fervent practitioner of religious discrimination in scottish football, but if you look you'll see celtic played there part as well.

personally i loved it when we signed mo johnstone, sadly the celtic supporters who put his old man in hospital didn't.

didn't find it too funny when celtic fans throw bananas at mark walters either (the first scottish club to do this, well done celtic, greatest fans in the world!!!!!!, when you're not disrupting minutes silences, attacking referees homes etc etc)

if you knew your history..................

Why? What's up with yer old mates like and....erm...Ruffian?

> i'll agree you have re-written history...much like the catholic church.

Tell me where in that post I've re-written history. Come on, you're going to have to do better than that.

> some point on celtic:

> set up by catholics, for catholics (religious apartheid started there
> first, rangers merely , with the influx of ulster protestants into the
> govan shipyards in the early 1900's reflected the protestant working
> class.

Religious apartheid was already rife, particularly in Glasgow, before celtic were founded. In fact, if it hadn't been, Celtic might never have been founded.
The staunchly-protestant, heavily-industrialised towns and cities of Scotland weren't welcoming places for irish-catholic immigrants.
Celtic were founded to help with donations towards soup kitchens etc and to aid a charity called The Poor Children's Dinner Fund.
No giros or welfare state in those days. And as for trendy human rights and civil liberties, well, they didn't exist.

> celtic threatened to stop playing football and switch to gaelic football
> in protest about the flying the tricolour from their stadium. (1950's)

Around 1950, the SFA decided to pressure Celtic into removing the irish tricolour flag which flew at the their stadium. Celtic rightly refused and dug in their heels.
The SFA eventually performed a humiliating climbdown, and quietly let it go.

> celtic refused to give jock stein a directorship and shabbily treated the
> man merely becuase he was a protestant. (1970's)

Jock Stein couldn't unequivocally commit himself to sitting on his arse in a boardroom. His great run as team manager had lost its lustre (as they all do eventually) but he still felt he had something to offer in team management.
Sure enough, off he went to Leeds United for a very short spell, before returning to take charge of the Scotland national team.
Jock Stein was a celtic player and team captain way back in the 1950's. He returned as team coach from 1965 - 1978.
Hardly a sign that he was discriminated against, eh?

> danny mcgrain was refused a coaching role because he was a protestant.
> (1980's)

Ah, Danny McGrain. Daniel Fergus McGrain. What a player.
He was watched as a schoolboy by Rangers. When they found out his full name, they dropped their interest because it sounded irish. They thought he was a catholic.
Unknown to them, not only was the young Danny a protestant, but he was also a rangers fan!!
But that didn't stop celtic signing him.
He went on to give fifteen-plus years of great playing service, and played sixty-odd times for a good Scotland national team alongside fine players like Hansen, Dalglish, Souness, McLeish, and Joe Jordan.
Early in his career it was discovered he had acute diabetes, but he played on for a long time despite this.
Football history consistently proves that great players hardly ever make great managers. Danny didn't have it when it came to management. That has since been proved. There were also uncertainties that his health could withstand the pressures of management.
But off he eventually went anyway, to cut his coaching teeth at Arbroath. He lasted little more than a year. Before resigning. Because it was affecting his health.
Looks like Celtic got that one right.
Anyway, what about not pursuing him because of his name?? How shameful is that?

> celtic allowed parkhead to be used for a pro-ira video by the
> wolfetones.(1980's)

> celtic taking a republican flute band on a preseaon fixture to
> manchester.(70's)

Rangers allowed the bitterly anti-catholic Orange Order of Scotland to use Ibrox for their Annual Divine Service. Annually (obviously).
Throughout the 50's. And throughout the 60's. And throughout the 70's, until late in that decade when they ended the arrangement. Times were changing and pressure was growing. They reluctantly advised the Orange Order of Scotland to
find another location.

> i could go on.

I hope you do. I could do this all day. Every day. As long as nobody messes around with my username.

> there is no doubt rangers continually are represented as the more fervent
> practitioner of religious discrimination in scottish football, but if you
> look you'll see celtic played there part as well.

Rangers are represented as more fervent because they had a 'no-catholics' employment policy, as opposed to celtic's open-door one. They're both guilty of wee niggly, provocative, dubious deeds in the past. But that employment policy sets Rangers apart.

> personally i loved it when we signed mo johnstone, sadly the celtic
> supporters who put his old man in hospital didn't.

Ah, Mo Johnston. MoJo. 1989, right? I was touching thirty at the time and had spent the best part of ten years in Spain. Despite my upbringing in that Clydeside environment, I was shocked at the reaction to rangers signing a catholic. Maybe Spain had softened me up.
I'm delighted to hear you approved of him signing for rangers. You weren't among the rangers fans who descended upon Ibrox to burn their scarves in protest.
You weren't among the rangers fans who ripped up their season tickets. You weren't among the rangers fans who laid a wreath outside Ibrox with the words "R.I.P. 116 years of tradition. 1873-1989."

What they call 'tradition', the decent among us call 'shame'.

> didn't find it too funny when celtic fans throw bananas at mark walters
> either (the first scottish club to do this, well done celtic, greatest
> fans in the world!!!!!!, when you're not disrupting minutes silences,
> attacking referees homes etc etc)

Disrupting minute's silences??
In 1963, Rangers fans jeered and spoiled a minute's silence that was being held in the memory of assassinated USA president, John F. Kennedy. He was, of course, a catholic.

Attacking referee's homes?
That wouldn't be the same guys who planted a Union Flag in Martin O'Neill's garden.
That wouldn't be the same guys who spray-painted death threats to Neil Lennon
this year on walls near his hoose.
And that wouldn't be the same guys who hounded him out (using death threats)of playing for the Northern Ireland national team. They tolerated him playing for his country while he was at Leicester. But as soon as he moved to Celtic, the death threats began.

The first scottish club to indulge in racial abuse?
I vividly remember Celtic's Paul Wilson being abused as a ....wait for it.......Fenian Paki Bastard!! Maybe you can work that one out. It's beyond me.
And as for the current horrendous abuse directed towards Bobo Balde in these more enlightened, multi-cultural times, well........

> if you knew your history..................

I've been regularly reading about both clubs since about 1965. Trust me,I know BOTH histories. All too well.

Anyway, write soon and take it easy.

You are that arsehole who pushes your way through the crowd at the last minute to get to the barrier. There are people who queue for hours to get to the barrier only to see you push women out of the way. There is a name for people like you.

> I've met plenty of English people who have republican sympathies. They
> would prefer the abolition of the monarchy and the UK to have a republican
> system of government - with an elected president as head of state. Just
> like our friends in the USA, France and God knows how many other
> countries.
> They are also fervently pro-English and have no sympathy for the ira
> whatsoever. So to bracket 'republican/ira' is a wee bit daft.
> I also think everyone should be allowed to wear what they want. If people
> at a U2 or Rod Stewart gig wave the tricolour and wear the hoops, then so
> what? Personally, I wouldn't be seen dead at either gig.
> Not even if Anna Friel said,
> "Come to see U2 with me or we're finished."
> She would soon change her mind of course. And who could blame her?

I agree with every word of that. Mr McCann has always been a man of wisdom

you left a message in your journal here saying you were done with MOZ and this place? back so soon?

> I agree with every word of that. Mr McCann has always been a man of wisdom

Aw shucks, Davie. Stop it.

Back
Top Bottom