Morrissey Central "Another one bites the dust." (January 3, 2023)

Screenshot_20221203-1503362.png

Related item:

The title song, Trouble Loves Me, Alma Matters and Ambitious Outsiders are wonderful. I first listened to the 2009 reissue a couple of years after it was released, unaware of the original tracklist, and was shocked to see that This Is Not Your Country, The Edges Are No Longer Parallel, I Can Have Both and Heir Apparent were delegated to non-album B-sides*.

*This comment might be a bit anachronic. I don't know too much about which songs were recorded first or last.
I don’t get the love for Alma Matters. I think it’s shite.

I can remember when it first came out, I was doing an IT course at collage (I only lasted about 6 weeks)
It was just so good to see Mozz back in the charts, as it seemed he was forgotten about what with all the Brit pop going on.

True enough. If things keep on with Morrissey as they presently are, we might be looking at more than just one "lost album." It would lend him a certain Brian Wilson/Syd Barrett mystique, but it would be disappointing for those of us who would like to hear the music.
Considering the uneven reception of Oblivion and BoT, it may not reach the iconic status of SMiLE. We've already heard almost %70 of the album anyway, and the live version of Rebels fared better than the auto-tuned studio version. But I get what you mean.

(btw two of my favourite solo Morrissey songs were written by Tobias, so I won't ever slag him off. You Have Killed Me and On the Streets I Ran, if anybody cares)
I don’t get the love for Alma Matters. I think it’s shite.
Maybe I'm biased because of the video. I love that cornflake bowl bit. It's like the sillier version of Cagney's grapefruit scene.

Oh and it's a bit unrelated but Paul McCartney recently said that he had been working with Andrew Watt. I don't know what he does exactly but he's been luring every bigshot into his studio. I didn't like how Rebels sounded but I'm really curious about the rest of the songs. I'll give Iggy Pop's new album a listen to see what to expect -if BoT ever sees daylight.

My Love I Would Do Anything For You is a great opener.

I love I Wish You Lonely and Jackie while the end of Home Is A Question Mark is as good as a Moz ballad gets.

Israel is a great closer and I must be one of the few people that likes to hum along to All The Young People Must Fall In Love, although I've read that Noel Gallagher likes that one too.

Spent The Day In Bed is a cute little ditty ala Ask.

Who Will Protect Us From The Police
is lyrically a bit repetitive but the music is storming and I Bury The Living is some kooky experimental (for Moz) weirdness that I like.

For me the only weaker songs are Lap, Tel Aviv and Legs as they have a kind of same-ey feeling to them but in isolation I quite like them.

I know 95% of the board will disagree with most of this mini-review but tastes are individual and I stand by it. I'd reach for this album far quicker than I'd reach for Quarry which is overrated moosh (by Moz's standards.)
i certainly agree with everything you said.who will protect is a great song but isnt liked on here,i like it a lot.

My Love I Would Do Anything For You is a great opener.

I love I Wish You Lonely and Jackie while the end of Home Is A Question Mark is as good as a Moz ballad gets.

Israel is a great closer and I must be one of the few people that likes to hum along to All The Young People Must Fall In Love, although I've read that Noel Gallagher likes that one too.

Spent The Day In Bed is a cute little ditty ala Ask.

Who Will Protect Us From The Police
is lyrically a bit repetitive but the music is storming and I Bury The Living is some kooky experimental (for Moz) weirdness that I like.

For me the only weaker songs are Lap, Tel Aviv and Legs as they have a kind of same-ey feeling to them but in isolation I quite like them.

I know 95% of the board will disagree with most of this mini-review but tastes are individual and I stand by it. I'd reach for this album far quicker than I'd reach for Quarry which is overrated moosh (by Moz's standards.)
👏🏻❤️

So many hateful and negative responses. It really does take guts to be gentle and kind.
Hateful, or just opinions that you don't agree with? It's possible to love Moz and be highly critical of recent events, you know.

A lot of people here only seem to like half of his songs, I find it odd that they even come here.
they have nowhere else to go,bit like richard gere in an officer and a gentleman.

I hated much of it at first, and only loved a few particular songs, but it's been slowly and impressively growing on me over the years. Of the Chiccarelli records, it's the most cohesive and thematic. It's the one where if you're willing to go in with J.C.'s bombastic and operatic production style, it rewards you the most consistently. I still don't think the Tobias/Manzur/Lopez axis of co-writers is anywhere near where Whyte and Boorer were.

For me, the only bad songs at this point are Jacky and Spent the Day in Bed. Someone on here wisely remarked that Spent would've benefited from having a quasi-reggae arrangement, and I agree. He could've paid some homage to Johnny Marr and arranged it more like Rubber Ring or Frankly, Mr. Shankly. But it's just too dink-dinky-dink-dink with the keyboards as it is. And I don't know why Never Again Will I Be a Twin failed to make the cut.

What I've done with it is made a Spotify playlist from the deluxe album. With that album cover, and this modified track listing, I quite like it:
  1. My Love, I'd Do Anything for You
  2. I Wish You Lonely
  3. Never Again Will I Be a Twin
  4. Home Is a Question Mark
  5. I Bury the Living
  6. Back on the Chain Gang
  7. In Your Lap
  8. The Girl from Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
  9. All the Young People Must Fall in Love
  10. When You Open Your Legs
  11. Who Will Protect Us from the Police?
  12. Israel
Never Again Will I Be a Twin, oh agreed, having this on the album would've elevated it even more.

I wonder when I Thought You Were Dead was written? Because I wouldn't have minded seeing that pop up on the album as well.

Last edited:
Low in High School was the latest in several declining albums.

You Are The Quarry was a possible return.

It wasn't as good as anything pre-Southpaw (which was the first dud), but it was better than Southpaw.

I still hold out hope SPM has something in him but the latest offerings don't give me much hope.

I am glad that Alain is back as he is a solid songwriter, a solid guitar player, and a great back up vocalist (for Moz).
Southpaw Grammar rocked. I liked it.

Oh and it's a bit unrelated but Paul McCartney recently said that he had been working with Andrew Watt. I don't know what he does exactly but he's been luring every bigshot into his studio. I didn't like how Rebels sounded but I'm really curious about the rest of the songs.
McCartney's voice is pretty much shot due to his age, so I can imagine him embracing a producer who is going to pitch-shift and manipulate his vocals. Heavily processing Morrissey's vocals when the guy is singing the songs great live though is just a tragedy.

I await every Friday with hope that an album track might release. If it does eventually come out, will there be any tracks leading up to it?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom